Thread: E30 convertible Tonneau cover not locking down

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325ic

E30 convertible Tonneau cover not locking down

Hello, I recently purchased a 1992 325ic with a power top. The car and top are in good shape, it appears to line up well and functions smoothly when raising or lowering the top; however when I put the top down today as the tonneau cover closed to complete the sequence it made a clunking noise and appears as if it is not locked down. The tonneau cover now sits about a third of an inch above it's seat at the front and if I push the top close switch it just continues to clunk rather than lock down. When I attempt to raise the top it functions smoothly, however when it gets to the step of the tonneau cover closing so that the back of the top can fold down over it the tonneau cover just clunks and does not lock down causing it to not allow the back of the top to fold down over it and complete the sequence. From my research on the site I am thinking this is caused by a problem with the motor operating the tonneau cover, however I have not been able to find anything information specific to this scenario. So please share any advise, information, solutions you may have as my beautiful new E30 is now sitting in the driveway with the top down, unable to raise it.

I am a new member of the site and this is my first post, however I have researched many things on this site and appreciate all of the information shared. If this information has already been covered please show me the way and I will be happy to go find it, like I said I have not been able to find anything despite hours of research. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I was able to locate the top motor and disengage it, allowing me to manually fold the rear of the top down over the tonneau cover and secure the top in the upright position; so, my beautiful E30 is now safe from the pending rain. I have yet to find any specific information in regards to the cover motor, so please do advise if you have any light to shine on this.

My Cars
    1991 325ic
    I am a semi purist, so I converted mine to a manually-operated top. I used all the parts from an older (87) car (release handle, release cables and hinges...plus the handle panel) and now I am issue-free regarding motor problems. I can put the top up and down in 30 sec and never fails
    There is a known problem with the gears of the top motor; they always fail. It's a known bad design. I remember seeing a kit to fix that problem...but I am not sure where to get it. If I were you, I would consider converting your top to a manually operated one. It's really easy, and relatively inexpensive to do.
    Glacier blue metallic 1991 BMW 325ic

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325ic
    Hey thanks for the reply. I have seen a lot of comments on this forum regarding the conversion, and as a convertible addict I have thought about making the switch for a worry free drop top. What keeps me from doing it is that the power top works great on this car, all except for the new problem of the cover not locking down. The top motor operates fine and the top raises and lowers smoothly, without assistance. Therefore I am motivated to keep it original. I am thinking I may need to source a new-to-me cover motor; however all the information I can find on here only talks about replacing the top motor, not the cover motor. Does anyone have any information on fixes for the cover motor? Or just simply information on locking the cover into place - as I said the cover still goes up and down, it simply will not lock down.

Whatever insight you can provide would be much appreciated, I absolutely love this car and would really like to get it to it's full potential. Also, North Central Idaho seems to be somewhat of a BMW-desert, there are no dealerships anywhere near me and rarely see E30's running around, therefore I am assuming parts are difficult to source in the yards, any suggestions about that would also be welcome. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325ic
    While messing around with the car this evening I attempted to try the top again and upon pushing the top down switch nothing happened, no motor noise or movement at all. I am assuming this is due to the microswitches preventing the operation of the system due to the previous problem. This motivates me more towards converting it to manual operation to avoid this kind of mess. Does anyone have a detailed write-up on the power to manual top conversion? I have searched this topic quite a bit and although there is a ton of discussion about it, I have yet to find a step by step how-to, as I am new to BMW's a specific write-up would be very helpful. Please share some insight whether its on repairing the power system or converting to manual.

My Cars
    e30s
    Maybe you're motor is toast? I have a spare one; converting the top requires the latches and cables which btw I have. the only thing I don't have is the handle for the inside panel to unlatch it. easy enough to get - might have one kicking around somewhere. pm me if interested.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325ic
    Well this forum is proving to be a disappointment. I had thought there would be better information and more people willing to share experiences on here. It seems everyone is interested in naming the solution but not discussing how to get to it. Everywhere I look on here people talk about how you need to convert your power top to a manual top, yet there is no write up, no description of it, no guide for actually doing it. Having the solution doesn't mean crap if you don't know how you got there. Thanks.

My Cars
    e30s
    I didn't have a write up when I did mine. BUT! google is an amazing tool and you could probably find info on it if you just did a search. How about giving that a try. :-) Maybe U-tube? just some suggestions.
    Last edited by Ceekers; 05-24-2015 at 02:29 PM.

My Cars
    E30 325i motorsport conv
    Quote Originally Posted by f2fdrummer View Post
    Hey thanks for the reply. I have seen a lot of comments on this forum regarding the conversion, and as a convertible addict I have thought about making the switch for a worry free drop top. What keeps me from doing it is that the power top works great on this car, all except for the new problem of the cover not locking down. The top motor operates fine and the top raises and lowers smoothly, without assistance. Therefore I am motivated to keep it original. I am thinking I may need to source a new-to-me cover motor; however all the information I can find on here only talks about replacing the top motor, not the cover motor. Does anyone have any information on fixes for the cover motor? Or just simply information on locking the cover into place - as I said the cover still goes up and down, it simply will not lock down.

Whatever insight you can provide would be much appreciated, I absolutely love this car and would really like to get it to it's full potential. Also, North Central Idaho seems to be somewhat of a BMW-desert, there are no dealerships anywhere near me and rarely see E30's running around, therefore I am assuming parts are difficult to source in the yards, any suggestions about that would also be welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Hi did you manage to solve the problem with your top cover not locking?, I have the same problem with mine. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

My Cars
    1993 325ic, 2000 528i
    New member here. I have a 1993 325ic where just recently the tonneau lid makes a CLACKING noise while trying to compress the the folded top into the tonneau. The top opens fine but falters at this last stage. I have researched a ton but was wondering if anyone can explain why this occurring and can suggest any DIY fixes? Thank you!