Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Body work / Paint on the 'ole girl

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Haha you're too kind! Please don't show her though, you'll spoil it all haha!

I'm thinking of a "new" way to sew the arm rests, once I get the materials I'll put it to the test. Mimmicking the way BMW did it is too difficult for me and my machine, so I'll make my own "design" and MAKE it work! I'm also excited to get some work done on the door leather.

Poor car, no rear bumper, no seats, no interior hahahah what have I done!!

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Went to work on the second - passenger side - arm rest today. Tried a few different tricks with the sewing this time and it worked slightly better, BUT THEN the pad didn't rip off with the leather so I ended up reusing the old one. So although I sewed better, it was a different application again, so they both look different, but I'm assured, "They look great though!" So I'm leaving them be for now haha!

I always complain about too much rain, but today it's too damned hot to do anything. I'm thinking I'm the biggest wuss I know.

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Would you bitch even if they hung you with a new rope?
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    '95 740i
    They had damned well BETTER use a new rope!

Nah but seriously, with this stupid MD crap I need to wear JEANS as their pockets are sturdy enough to support me walking around my driveway - need my hands in my pocket to support myself standing up - annnd wearing jeans in a car that's sitting in the direct sun, while contorting myself to reach a screw, makes me overheat pretty darned quick =D SO, "it's too hot" :P

But I'm headed out in a bit to buy more leather stock for the doors, in a car that has working A/C so I'm pretty stoked as it is heh! Jerkface :P

My Cars
    '95 740i
    So I took the panel out of the passenger front door. Pretty straight forward, the handle and leather insert are held in with two metal nuts and 10+ other . . . nuts. Simple extraction, didn't bother removing the door panel, only unhooked it and left all the wiring connected while I unscrewed everything. Then you can separate the leather panel from the door handle panel. Separating the leather went pretty easy as well, there is a cotton backing on it, kind of messy. I couldn't find any at the fabric store so I managed to reuse the OEM stuff:

traced out the leather shape and cut it up in to some pieces with extra bits for sew joints:

The leather is much lighter than the stock sandbeige, but it's growing on me, and everyone who has seen it so far really likes it - you can't see in these pictures, but the texture is a very close match to the OEM texture:

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Work of art.

On the center armrest, did you consider making a euro style? It may be easier as well.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I've thought about it, but I love having the phone in there too! The armrest is done for now and installed, I keep forgetting I Have to paint the OUTSIDE of the car still and get that darned bumper installed =D

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    It's about time I want to see the finished product.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Hahahah "I'll have it on by tomorrow" remember that Darth? Ooooops

Meanwhile:

That's right!

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    wow AWESOME WORK
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Thanks!

I placed the dash in the car today, it looks so good in there - scratched the top of my custom steering wheel though, pretty sure it will "rub" out. Fingers crossed.

Turns out that even though it's from a 2001, it fits perfectly in my '95. I didn't change the brackets over, and my a-pillars are an exact fit!!

The brackets on my '95 dash are pop riveted in place! I'm wondering if the PO put a newer dash in, pop riveted the brackets, and then put new a-pillars in already?? Certainly no "airbag" button on the pillar covers though.

Very strange, but it makes me so very happy!

I was getting pissed off too, I kept trying to turn the car to ON without starting it, and couldn't get power. I put fuses 42, 43, 45 back in and STILL nothing, WHAT!? Oh . . . battery was still disconnected, embarrassingly enough that was 25 minutes worth of hassle.

I just wrapped the other C-pillar in leather, it worked out much better after having an extra day of sewing under my belt.

Now that I know my a-pillars will work, I'll get them rewrapped in leather, and do the passenger side b-pillar tomorrow as well.

I'll do my driver's door leather insert in leather tomorrow also. I was GOING to do the hand grabs in leather too, but, between not having enough leather stock (bought all the stuff they had, and they won't get more for me!) and not wanting it to wear over time, I'm leaving it stock.

I tried painting my gas cap again today after tests from a couple weeks ago, it wrinkled up TWICE on me, I was quite angry - waste of paint and time. Far too hot and humid to be painting today. Too bad.

- - - Updated - - -

By hand grabs I meant door handles on the inside, BUT the actual roof hand grabs, mmmm will do them in leather I think =D

Wait, but they'll have to be hand stitched unless they come apart. I dunno.

I'd love to do my front seats as well but again don't have the amount of leather I need.

- - - Updated - - -

I just hit up eBay and I think I found the same material I'm using! For only $7/yard instead of the $28 I've been paying here! Waiting to hear back from them, I'm excited! MAYBE I'll do leather LEATHER on my leather. heh

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    I would pay money for the templates to make the leather pillar covers.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I wouldn't take money for them though.

I'm sorry to say but I didn't end up using templates afterall. It was a few too many extra steps and didn't really provide any benefit. It's just as easy to trace the leather out on the panel instead.

I ended up doing this today:

Turns out the pillars ARE wrong for this dashboard. Once it's actually screwed it, the bottom hangar sticks out too far and doesn't let the a-pillars fit correctly - push them in, and they just pop back out.

I think I'm going to take a hammer to the bracket inside the car because the brackets on the old dash are riveted in and there is no easy way to remove them without damaging the dashboard.

Regardless, I love the look of the a-pillars with the dash now!

- - - Updated - - -

This is the only picture I snapped that shows it mounted inside the car - I finished both of them today, and did the other C pillar. Just need to do the passenger b pillar right now.

I also got a reply from those fabric guys in Beverly Hills, turns out the total cost for all my material is $19 BUT $45 shipping =D I love USA/Canada relations.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Those pillars are badass!

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Great Pillar!
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    1999 750i 1995 740i
    There was a member on here a couple of years ago who did a lot of work on his tan interior. I dont dare mention his name here but his car was inspiring and very much individualized by him.
    I think yours is heading that way too.
    Those pillars are amazing. I cant wait to see it all back together..
    95 740i 99 750i

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Stitched leather is awesome. Spray paint on car interior I'm not down with so much though but I'm a longevity guy.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I can't seem to stop!

As for the spray paint. .. neither am I but it really does work well! If anything at least it got me started on this and if/when it starts to fail I'll end up either simply respraying or replacing with oem black bits =)

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    It's looking great though! Your interior was super rough before so it's def worth it. Not knocking you at all, I plan on my own custom leather and I do use leather dye which is not much diff than paint. As a matter of fact the leather dye seems to "paint" plastic better than paint does.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Well this IS vinyl paint, it's mean to "dye" the stuff. It's certainly not just spray paint! =)

I mounted the '95's brackets on to the '01's mounting holes, and they didn't line up! I could only use TWO of the four mounting holes for the dash brackets. Lines up now though. Strange.

Also, I've made the mistake of doing 15 things at once instead of one at a time, so I have about 120 DIFFERENT types of screws, unsure of which go where now all over the dash and under plates. EUGH.

I like how the leather dash doesn't have that white clip to break - though the '95 I had didnt' seem to need it anyway, the airbag cover sits super snugly in there and wouldn't come out unless you used a pry tool. So buying TWO of those clips was a complete waste.

I had to re-use my '95's top vent MOUNT - not the grill itself just the mount - because the red led/sensor or whatever it is, doesn't fit. Although I wonder if it will fit through the new black top vent as well, hmmm either way I can "spray paint" them black too

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    You don't need those extra straps on the sides.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Straps? You mean the clips that hold the vents on? If so - I agree, they seem redundant, but so are a lot of screws in this car haha. I guess that's QUALITY.

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    Beautiful work!!!!
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Thanks a lot 4liter! =)

Yesterday I started attacking one of my style 95's. The PO had painted it and it had clear coat drips and a few spots had chipped off, and then there was the curb rash. Long story short: NEVER use paint stripper on a wheel, it adds 10,000x more work than just sanding the parts that need it.

Regardless,

Original look yesterday: Look at that darned curb rash! Always drove me crazy, also those mismatching lugs!! I bought 20 new solid black ones, should clean it up very well:

The clear coat:

fixed up curb rash:

Got everything finally sanded "smooth" as smooth as ALL of my sandpaper could make it anyway, that paint is five times harder than the aluminum, I cannot believe how much effort it has taken to get it off:

And finally, primed and now sitting over night in the garage:

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    You do good work for an amature - like I said, "Jack of all trades master of none."

Keep it up and you will need a career change.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast