Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Body work / Paint on the 'ole girl

My Cars
    98 750iL, 01 740iL
    did you remove the door carpet and dye it?

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Kulgan . . . . . . FINE I was insane to try and do the car with a can hahah!!

Biggest issue is I simply didn't realize there was a difference between spray cans vs proper urethane hardened paint. Spray cans can LOOK as good no doubt, but they can't hold up to anything let alone uv rays from the sun. If I could go back in time and smack myself in the face for arguing otherwise, trust me I'd be at the front of the line! =D

As for dying the carpet, I did it without removing it. I think I explained how many cans it took to do but I assume 3 or so for the carpet. The trick is to spray heavy, and brush it in with a coarse brush of some sort. I'm going to buy ACTUAL black carpet mats though, as the ones I painted simply haven't held up and are far too thick/furry to justify the cost in dye.

In other news, I received some center caps today - I know I KNOW they're lies but, c'mon sexy is sexy am I right?

699.jpg

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    Kulgan . . . . . . FINE I was insane to try and do the car with a can hahah!!

Biggest issue is I simply didn't realize there was a difference between spray cans vs proper urethane hardened paint. Spray cans can LOOK as good no doubt, but they can't hold up to anything let alone uv rays from the sun. If I could go back in time and smack myself in the face for arguing otherwise, trust me I'd be at the front of the line! =D

As for dying the carpet, I did it without removing it. I think I explained how many cans it took to do but I assume 3 or so for the carpet. The trick is to spray heavy, and brush it in with a coarse brush of some sort. I'm going to buy ACTUAL black carpet mats though, as the ones I painted simply haven't held up and are far too thick/furry to justify the cost in dye.

In other news, I received some center caps today - I know I KNOW they're lies but, c'mon sexy is sexy am I right?

699.jpg
    Ummm i told you so Mr devil's advocate... Those wheels look great and i kind of like the center caps...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I feel like the center caps will get scratched up real easily, $20 on Amazon so . . why not.

Only a couple days until the car's home!

Mean while, I've installed more garage lighting! Should make it easier to work on the car now:

700.jpg

701.jpg

12 watts each, ceiling lights are 5 or 7 watts - can't remember =D
    Attached Images Attached Images

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I feel like the center caps will get scratched up real easily, $20 on Amazon so . . why not.

Only a couple days until the car's home!

Mean while, I've installed more garage lighting! Should make it easier to work on the car now:

700.jpg

701.jpg

12 watts each, ceiling lights are 5 or 7 watts - can't remember =D
    This time when its all new and shiny try not to drive it so aggressively in a snow storm... You're just asking for trouble...

My Cars
    '95 740i
    AHHH you know how to get me on the defensive!! HAhaha

I've always driven aggresively in the snow, usually with fatter and balder tires. The wipeout happened because of the stupid ASC+T blipping the rear tire. One of the very few times I've driven with it ON instead of off. That'll teach me.

Regardless, I don't PLAN on snow-driving it this year, $3k for paint and another $1k for wheels and tires, and another $1k for speakers and entertainment system, hell I paid $200 less for the car! Hah.

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    AHHH you know how to get me on the defensive!! HAhaha

I've always driven aggresively in the snow, usually with fatter and balder tires. The wipeout happened because of the stupid ASC+T blipping the rear tire. One of the very few times I've driven with it ON instead of off. That'll teach me.

Regardless, I don't PLAN on snow-driving it this year, $3k for paint and another $1k for wheels and tires, and another $1k for speakers and entertainment system, hell I paid $200 less for the car! Hah.
    Weird how that shit works out. Lol We are all there too.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    1986 e24 635csi, 1999 Saab 93, 1992 Saab 9000 turb
    Quote Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
    Weird how that shit works out. Lol We are all there too.
    How can I get the rear gaurds spaced out better. Liners are rubbing on the tires on suspension compression. One of those radius wheels?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Not sure if you meant to post that HERE but, yeah there are fender rollers that could help. Are you running spacers on those wheels, could be worth while just to get thinner spacers - not sure what someone would charge to roll your fenders. Usually I've always had a buddy or a buddy who had a buddy who had a fender roller so it's never been an issue. Car looks great though!

My Cars
    Not sure if you meant to post that HERE but, yeah there are fender rollers that could help. Are you running spacers on those wheels, could be worth while just to get thinner spacers - not sure what someone would charge to roll your fenders. Usually I've always had a buddy or a buddy who had a buddy who had a fender roller so it's never been an issue. Car looks great though!
    Jamos! Is that you Dimitri?
    How's the turbo 540?

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljames View Post
    How can I get the rear gaurds spaced out better. Liners are rubbing on the tires on suspension compression. One of those radius wheels?
    Sorry, I couldn't tell you I don't do much with suspensions.

LOL, I had just posted in Dans thread and then when here read that and said Oh sheet I just posted in wrong thread! Lol
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
    Sorry, I couldn't tell you I don't do much with suspensions.

LOL, I had just posted in Dans thread and then when here read that and said Oh sheet I just posted in wrong thread! Lol
    Ha..... Got to be an update to make thread jumping less wierd.
    Should have a single point or hub. Oh well I like reading your stuff.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I am not Dmitri He goes by DUDMD still here

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Checked on the car today, so far only the trunk has been polished. The rest has been cut with some compound, pictures are obvious which and where.

702.jpg

Brought the mirror caps home just to cut some holes for my cameras BUT THEN remembered that I dropped off the mirror housings to be painted, so doh. They haven't been cut or polished, so they're still orange-peely.

703.jpg

Buncha cutting compound left over, but I had to take a picture, I'm in love with this colour!

704.jpg

My father's 2015 Chrysler 300S in, "Jazz Blue" and it's quite incredible in the right light! HOWEVER you can see that it's still got that violet/purple tinge to it compared to Mercedes', "Brilliant Blue" muaha.

705.jpg

Also, finally FINALLY received my Bluetooth TPMS sensors. Can finally mount my tires. My headunit will receive the bluetooth signals and I can use whatever app I want to display it.

706.jpg

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Can't wait to see it finished!

My Cars
    '95 740i
    You're telling me! It was going to take one week. But he does insurance jobs mainly, and they take priority over . . full colour changes etc. So between guys calling in sick, insurance jobs, and private life, it's taken quite a bit longer. EUGH.

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    You're telling me! It was going to take one week. But he does insurance jobs mainly, and they take priority over . . full colour changes etc. So between guys calling in sick, insurance jobs, and private life, it's taken quite a bit longer. EUGH.
    Ha, that's been my experience with body shops. Had one do full resprays on my dad's two vintage British cars, and both times the cars were away for most of the winter.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Well dropped in today and the wheels are off getting clear-coated. I had them spray the black window trim pieces and mirror housings gloss black, they turned out incredible! The front grills arrived from Taiwan a few days ago, they're black chrome and fit PERFECTLY and VERY snug, $100usd. I bought $30usd ones and they were cut by a blind guy without arms, and did NOT fit. I always thought, "don't buy cheap kidney grills because they don't fit" meant, they were loose. No, they are cut all wrong and are wavy and CRAP.

Rear diffuser was painted textured, then gloss, same with front lip spoiler. They came out wonderfully! I can't WAIT to see my new Style 168 wheels on there and the car in my garage!

The car is very clearly still very dusty! The hood grill and light slats are painted and wrapped in nice foam in the back seat right now. The rear lip spoiler that I have (that many of us have from eBay) is painted and in the trunk, but he wants to put another coat on it because he wasn't happy enough. I'm not complaining!

707.jpg

708.jpg

709.jpg

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Well dropped in today and the wheels are off getting clear-coated. I had them spray the black window trim pieces and mirror housings gloss black, they turned out incredible! The front grills arrived from Taiwan a few days ago, they're black chrome and fit PERFECTLY and VERY snug, $100usd. I bought $30usd ones and they were cut by a blind guy without arms, and did NOT fit. I always thought, "don't buy cheap kidney grills because they don't fit" meant, they were loose. No, they are cut all wrong and are wavy and CRAP.

Rear diffuser was painted textured, then gloss, same with front lip spoiler. They came out wonderfully! I can't WAIT to see my new Style 168 wheels on there and the car in my garage!

The car is very clearly still very dusty! The hood grill and light slats are painted and wrapped in nice foam in the back seat right now. The rear lip spoiler that I have (that many of us have from eBay) is painted and in the trunk, but he wants to put another coat on it because he wasn't happy enough. I'm not complaining!

707.jpg

708.jpg

709.jpg
    Wow very nice! Those gloss door mouldings are gorgeous! Link to the black grilles you purchased?

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Yeah big fan of the gloss door mouldings.

Grilles are here: (if the link dies, just look up black chrome grille E38, and the seller I got'm from is named car-shop2015)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Kidne...72.m2749.l2649

My Cars
    2000 740i sport

Grilles are here: (if the link dies, just look up black chrome grille E38, and the seller I got'm from is named car-shop2015)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Kidne...72.m2749.l2649
    Can you post some better pics of the grilles? Im torn between these chrome black ones and gloss black ones...

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I don't have any other pictures yet! But I will in no time. I have gloss black ones too. I have the factory '95 ones, all chrome ones, gloss black ones, and these black chrome ones. Black chrome FTW x10 imho

My Cars
    '95 740i
    710.jpg

711.jpg

Those are the only other shots I had on the phone

My Cars
    2000 740iL - 07/99
    I did the same when I resprayed a few years back! The gloss black trim around the entire car looks amazing!
    Follow me on Instagram @SEVEN40iL

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    710.jpg

711.jpg

Those are the only other shots I had on the phone
    Hard to tell from these pics but are they more chromey or glossy?

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast