Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Body work / Paint on the 'ole girl

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Jamos, see if you can get a video of that new gun working. I'd like to see it in action.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Sure thing, I'll do it tomorrow.

I hate to keep mentioning it but this muscular dystrophy crap is really interfering. I can only sand at specific angles or heights, so everything takes 10x longer than it should and then I'm wiped for a day or two.

I sprayed the hood the other day and I couldn't really do a good job because I couldn't reach the center of it correctly and keep my arm raised. SO I'm going to try going at it a different way tomorrow instead (from the top/winshield cowl area) from left to right to the middle, then walk to the front of it and continue the line down to the grills. Hopefully that'll work better, regardless I'll get a video of it shooting one way or another =)

As for that body work on the door and that fender, jeepers I guess a fender is more economical but that door looks like it will be fun! Nice rig you have set too =D

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    Sure thing, I'll do it tomorrow.

I hate to keep mentioning it but this muscular dystrophy crap is really interfering. I can only sand at specific angles or heights, so everything takes 10x longer than it should and then I'm wiped for a day or two.

I sprayed the hood the other day and I couldn't really do a good job because I couldn't reach the center of it correctly and keep my arm raised. SO I'm going to try going at it a different way tomorrow instead (from the top/winshield cowl area) from left to right to the middle, then walk to the front of it and continue the line down to the grills. Hopefully that'll work better, regardless I'll get a video of it shooting one way or another =)

As for that body work on the door and that fender, jeepers I guess a fender is more economical but that door looks like it will be fun! Nice rig you have set too =D
    No rush buddy, think about hanging the hood so that you can spray it without leaning over. You like my tree helper (woops tree was out of shot LOL)? :P

Shit those hoods are heavy, you would need help hanging it. Wish I was closer i'd give you a hand.
    Last edited by Hueristic; 09-14-2016 at 12:19 AM.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Haha, well thanks for the offer, and yeah they are heavy ENOUGH. I figured it was attached to a tree regardless

I don't remember what I updated with last but I sanded the hood down to metal, did body work with fiberglass and glazing putty, then hit it with the black SPi Epoxy primer, and went out and bought some polyester body filler (Rage Gold) and did some major body work across the hood.

After spraying the black epoxy, I found dents and waves, so I covered them up with the Rage and - was my first time using it shhhush - I clearly put too much on! ALSO that stuff dries MUCH quicker than the Bondo Glass I was using. But jeeepers is it nicer to work with, I see what all the, rage . . is about!

So before:
    691_zpsdvvkxlzq.jpg

After:
    692_zpsws9po403.jpg

Then I hit that with another coat of epoxy to see how it would fill in the 80grit block scratches (I would have gone to at least 240 but I wanted to test the epoxy) and of course it didn't do the trick. You can see that the epoxy doesn't cover the body work nicely at all, you would either need to do another coat once that has dried for at least a day or just use regular primer:
    688_zpsqoy5xbsh.jpg

You can see how nice it is on a well-sanded area:
    689_zps35459unc.jpg

Then I hit it with the 2k build primer:
    690_zpsilnnvm05.jpg

Annnd a boring long video:

(3:40pm ET, video is 50% uploaded sorry if you don't see it immediately)

- - - Updated - - -

Doh! I forgot to get a video of the gun working. I actually tried the next day but I didn't have anything to spray yet and it was awkward to hold both, but I will get one =D

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Nice work there!

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I'm getting ready to do my own auto body Jamos! After getting rear ended I need it. I think I am going to try to pull some stuff out with a come-along then maybe cut the right rear corner off a donor car. Got the idea after finding this listing. I would just cut it myself from the yard:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111722687874...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Can you weld? I'm coming over buddy!

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Quote Originally Posted by xboss View Post
    I'm getting ready to do my own auto body Jamos! After getting rear ended I need it. I think I am going to try to pull some stuff out with a come-along then maybe cut the right rear corner off a donor car. Got the idea after finding this listing. I would just cut it myself from the yard:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111722687874...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Can you weld? I'm coming over buddy!

Why use a come along. Hueristic's method looked pretty effective!

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Hahaha you guys are too much.

Last time I welded I was in high school in the 90s making a mess of a metal rod if I'm not mistaken.

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by daniels635turbo View Post
    Why use a come along. Hueristic's method looked pretty effective!
    I thought that is what he was using a couple pages back. I'm def stoked to give it a try. The body shop is big bux

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by xboss View Post
    I thought that is what he was using a couple pages back. I'm def stoked to give it a try. The body shop is big bux

Problem is there is a big difference between a door skin and trying to pull the rear end of the car that has been accordioned.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    Problem is there is a big difference between a door skin and trying to pull the rear end of the car that has been accordioned.
    I just need to get one or two mm on the rear door gap then I can cut out the corner. Anyway, gl Jamos, I'll make my own thread soon.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Blocked the hood and it's smooth as glass!

Pouring rain so I'll hit it with epoxy tomorrow to deal it all up. No need to run the compressor at 100% humidity =D

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Looking good!!! Use Icing after the filler.

USC Icing is good. https://www.amazon.com/USC-Icing-24-.../dp/B00GQ1X1MQ

I finished finally. :P

BTW, Yes that was a come along to a tree. Sorry, I broke all the old links trying to get stupid photobucket to put pics in order.

Here's all the shots, I'm out of practice (15 years since I did any bodywork) so I had to redo alot.

http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/hueristic/library/2007%20Toyota%20avalon

I can't wait to see that hood done!!! Your really picking this up.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Damn...you painted most of that car didn't you? It came out nice tho - good job!!!!
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Cool you painted it the same color as your house

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    Damn...you painted most of that car didn't you? It came out nice tho - good job!!!!
    Because it is a metal flake base painted the whole car otherwise there is always a shade difference, only took 2 1/2 quarts reduced. I was surprised, still have a quart and a half left for the next time she puts it into a barrier. Lol

And thanks., I'm pleased with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by daniels635turbo View Post
    Cool you painted it the same color as your house
    That's a different neighbors house but I did rebuild the front with the siding a few years ago. Second pic you can just see my place and cars over her car.
    Last edited by Hueristic; 09-20-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    You guys are motivating me to start body work in the Spring.

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Awesome work!

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F

Doh! I forgot to get a video of the gun working. I actually tried the next day but I didn't have anything to spray yet and it was awkward to hold both, but I will get one =D
    No rush, On the primer you mentioned you used thinner to thin it. I think you should use reducer to thin 2k primer. And the high build stuff is like 3 parts primer to 1 part hardener to fill and just ad 1 part reducer for straight prime IIRC. Using laquar thinner in the 2k stuff is bad I believe because it can cause different shrinkage rates as it gasses off. I'm not sure how long that takes but because your not shooting the paint right away I'm guessing your going to be fine on that but I wanted to mention that for the future. check the sheet to be sure, these systems are real picky and don't like the wrong mixtures. The prime real Real Good and that stuff blocks really well.

Blocked the hood and it's smooth as glass!

Pouring rain so I'll hit it with epoxy tomorrow to deal it all up. No need to run the compressor at 100% humidity =D
    Pics or it didn't happen! :P
    Last edited by Hueristic; 09-21-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Hah wow great work on that car! Jealous :P

I certainly used urethane reducer, not paint thinner to . . . thin the paint, I should have said reduce it

I blocked the hood as I said, and hit it with epoxy. My gun settings were all screwed up and I ruined the epoxy seal coat! Block it AGAIN today and hit it with a final two coats of primer and it looks great! Still needs some minor sanding because of dry spray RIGHT in the middle of the hood but nothing major at all. I was really devestated when I messed up that second epoxy coat, it just looked horrible. The spray was about 3" wide and the pressure was too low and fluid was too high! Derpy derp derp.

Anyway, hood is basically done now until I get other stuff taken care of. I took a couple days off for a mental regather.

Today I cleared out the trunk - 1.5yrs of project junk - sanding blocks, paper, tape rolls, plastic crap, every kind of screw bolt and nut and on and on and on. FOUND A MOUSE in there, gat damn. Ripped out the plastic sheeting I put up over the trunk, the windows and the engine bay, I bought a proper roll of 16ft x 400ft plastic to drape over the car. Just roll it over, pull it out and cut it off to size and presto a static-cling sheet protecting the car.

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Hah wow great work on that car! Jealous :P

I certainly used urethane reducer, not paint thinner to . . . thin the paint, I should have said reduce it

I blocked the hood as I said, and hit it with epoxy. My gun settings were all screwed up and I ruined the epoxy seal coat! Block it AGAIN today and hit it with a final two coats of primer and it looks great! Still needs some minor sanding because of dry spray RIGHT in the middle of the hood but nothing major at all. I was really devastated when I messed up that second epoxy coat, it just looked horrible. The spray was about 3" wide and the pressure was too low and fluid was too high! Derpy derp derp.

Anyway, hood is basically done now until I get other stuff taken care of. I took a couple days off for a mental regather.

Today I cleared out the trunk - 1.5yrs of project junk - sanding blocks, paper, tape rolls, plastic crap, every kind of screw bolt and nut and on and on and on. FOUND A MOUSE in there, gat damn. Ripped out the plastic sheeting I put up over the trunk, the windows and the engine bay, I bought a proper roll of 16ft x 400ft plastic to drape over the car. Just roll it over, pull it out and cut it off to size and presto a static-cling sheet protecting the car.
    Sounds like he lvap guns has a small sweet spot, you'll get the hang of it. Man has it been a year and a half already! W0w

Looking forward to the pics.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Hey y'all.

I still check this place every night before bed, but . . . for the past two weeks I haven't had the energy to work on the car. I get upstairs from my dungeon of a basement and I'm wiped completely! "Maybe a coffee, a sssttrroonng coffee" but it's never strong enough. I might have worked myself a bit too hard and really pushed this MD nonsense too far.

Without getting in to it or blabbin on as usual, FOR NOW I'm taking a break from this project. REALLY ticks me off, but it was nice and too hot all summer and then freezing cold at night. This paint I have wants a constant 65°f or more over night to cure and I can't provide that with my setup, at least not without being worried all night that my garage and more importantly - my car won't burn down.

SO, I'm tossing around the idea of paying someone to finish it off in the spring or earlier, I don't really need to wait until then anymore anyway.

I don't know, maybe something will happen with a nice warm week of weather over night, and plenty of "get up the stairs and get outside without losing all your strength" but until that happens I didn't want to just leave this thread unattended - AGAIN =D

As I said, I still read this page every night before bed and whenever else I'm on my phone doing nothing much, so I've felt guilty 'ignoring' this post.
    *cheers

P.S. I just ordered a 2.0mm tip and needle for my gun, was a last resort attempt at, "look what arrived in the mail, lets do this!"

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Jamos - you know your situation better than anyone else but don't over do it and further aggravate your MD - that is the last thing you need going forward. Your car paint job is just not worth that under any conditions - even if it never gets done.

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Take care of your health first, the e38 can always wait.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Hey Jamos, How are you doing?

Semper Fi

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast