Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Body work / Paint on the 'ole girl

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    No biggie we still love what you are doing here. Can't say we tried to warn you...

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    Derp derp DERP. Always thought the first time I was wrong would be easier than this

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Looks like a lot of metallic and some orange peel.

There has to be a reason the paint gun was invented....and never gone away! First the syphon, then the gravity and then the HVLP, always improving but not replacing. You can even make a case first petroleum based and the then the most currant water based systems.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Thanks for that link, BUT I've already ordered an LVLP gun. My compressor is a small one, rated for ~7cfm @ 40psi, so LVLP is the way to go from what I gather. Been watching videos and reading forums for the past 24 hours straight it seems, and I got a gun and some different sized nozzles for clear, base and primers. 3.9cfm avg at low psi will do my small (5gallon) compressor a big favour. I've ordered an EXTRA water filter for the lines, and another inline one for the gun itself, along with a pretty spiffy inline regulator.

I've learned almost everything there is to do with these guns, cleaning, etc.. the only issue I have now is, WHAT paint to get! Haha, I've found an EXCELLENT deal on saw horses, instead of $250 each I've got $28 each - 250lb rating, or $32 for 500lb rating - so I'll be able to do much more work on the doors, hood, etc..

All in all I'm pretty stoked about this, sure it's a few hundred bucks more, but I'm still in charge of it - for now at least! =D

Gun should be here Friday, and some extra goodies by Monday.

Going to check in on paint codes tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

BIggest reason for LVLP in my case was - it's almost midnight and I'm sweating sitting here in my basement, so the air going in my compressor will get very hot meaning lots of condensation, so the less it has to work the better the air quality.

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    If you use a paint that is that high in metallic be sure to paint the removed panels - doors trunk whatever in the same orientation as they will be on the car. Otherwise the metallic will settle differently and will look different on the car when finished.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Yea that's something I've read and always told people I need to do. Thanks for watching out!

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    I would prepare the car and then just take it to the paint shop so that can lay the paint,
    you can paint door jams, and other hidden areas, then put car back together and let it be painted as whole
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    '95 740i
    To each their own!

No plates. Not paying a trailer to pay a guy to paint my car. I simply want to do this myself

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    To each their own!

No plates. Not paying a trailer to pay a guy to paint my car. I simply want to do this myself
    Sometimes you can get a temp plate for a few bucks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Yah for sure =)

Long story short, it's more complicated with this car at this point.

Jeeez finally switch from spray bombs to an air gun and people STILL trying to get me to change again haha

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Yah for sure =)

Long story short, it's more complicated with this car at this point.

Jeeez finally switch from spray bombs to an air gun and people STILL trying to get me to change again haha
    Just start painting already! I want to see this thing cleared and glossy... I am getting impatient... :p

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Hahah dude I'm so excited to get started!

I just got off the phone with my new paint guy! Family run business, he's 30 minutes away but could shoot it 5 minutes from here for free if I want, just answered every question I had and was more than happy to help! PPG products to boot!

Gun gets here tomorrow, I plan on practicing with just water to figure out the gun and speeds etc.. also just ordered one of those windshield/door holder folding work benches and it'll be here tomorrow.

Hooray!

Now I'm hitting google to find the PERFECT blue =D

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Hahah dude I'm so excited to get started!

I just got off the phone with my new paint guy! Family run business, he's 30 minutes away but could shoot it 5 minutes from here for free if I want, just answered every question I had and was more than happy to help! PPG products to boot!

Gun gets here tomorrow, I plan on practicing with just water to figure out the gun and speeds etc.. also just ordered one of those windshield/door holder folding work benches and it'll be here tomorrow.

Hooray!

Now I'm hitting google to find the PERFECT blue =D

Don't use water use mineral spirits, you don't want to rust the insides of your gun.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Thanks! Didn't think of that.

Settled on this blue: http://americancarsclassified.info/2...llic-for-sale/

Brilliant Blue Metallic
    Code 5896

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Thanks! Didn't think of that.

Settled on this blue: http://americancarsclassified.info/2...llic-for-sale/

Brilliant Blue Metallic
    Code 5896
    We have same color GT-s Mercedes wrecked at our shop,
    with 375 miles on it, 157k sticker price
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    Last edited by daniels635turbo; 08-11-2016 at 05:44 PM.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    150k broken.. Uh yi yi

Headed out to the mercedes dealership annnd all roads blocked because of a serious accident. Is it a sign!?

Ended up at this bar anyway haha

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    You don't have to buy the paint at the MB dealership do you? That has to be the most expensive way. Hear all the auto body supply houses have paint - all the different brands but all the colors.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Haha yah I just wanted to see it in person!

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    By the time you got out of the Pub you wouldn't have recognized it anyway...............

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Got the gun today and my FCP order, another $70 charge on delivery damn you UPS.

Here's the gun with it's included pressure regulator and a water trap I bought a couple months ago,

680_zpsmgaplger.jpg

I can't hold it above the roof's centerline, too much weight for my MD shoulda blaaades. BUT I'm going to search for a small - 1 or 2 ft - hose to make the regulator and water trap stay back over my shoulder or something. Sprays a lovely blast of air, I sprayed it in to dust to check the pattern and it seems great. Came with the 1.3, 1.5, 1.7mm nozzles and it's all pretty high quality much to my surprise for the price!

TOO HOT to do anything, my desk is literally WET from humidity.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Well been awhile since any updates, nothing too major anyway. Trunk was sanded right down to bare metal again (factory primer, base, clear, then more base, clear, then my primer, primer sealer, filler primer, blue paint...) because there was just WAY too much material on there. 40grit sand paper saved the day on that one! 60 grit wouldn't touch it.

I got that 3ft hose extension for my spraygun gun - Tekton - it's perfect now!

New pressure gauge too from ANi - incredible quality and price, look up ani regulator if you're ever in the market - and RESETTLED on my colour choice depending on price. I had some issues with the pressure regulator at first - mainly because I'm an idiot some times - and the guy who runs the business in the UK called me and we spoke for half an hour! The paint community is incredible.

~$250 for the base was for that Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic, but after looking around a bunch more I've found I'm also in love with BMW's very own LeMans Blue!

Some examples:

111.jpg

11111.jpg

SO on Monday I'll call them up and see what can be done.

It's PPG Shopline paint - not very many people are in love with it. TO ME it's just "colour" anyway, as long as it adheres and sits down nice enough (enough reducer put in will take care of that) it shouldnt' be an issue. I'm not happy with their clear though, especially the whole, "usually lasts up to 5 years" WHAT!? I want GOOD paint, not AVERAGE paint so I looked around for ages and found, SPi makes this Polyurethane clear that everyone is in love with.

SO, went to their site and they have a number to call the owner at any time with any question! Saturday night at 7:30pm he says, "Hey just call Doug he's local to you" sure enough Doug picks up as he's watching the ball game and nascar and answers every possible question I have about painting, OH and he can get me a gallon of the best clear and a gallon of activator (two sprayable gallons!) for $350 ISH.

I mean, come on!

I'm feeling pretty happy right now.

- - - Updated - - -

So here are some pictures SHOWING why I took the trunk to metal.

You can see there are some red spots from spot putty I did last year when I first sanded the trunk through the clear. There were low spots that always bothered me so I tried to level them out. THIS time after putting another couple coats of primer and colour and sanded it down I decided there was simply way too much paint on there. At first I tried sanding with 80 grit. Useless. Tried using a polycarbonate sanding/stripping disc, and sure it worked but man it took almost 10 seconds per square CM. So I ordered a DA sander, got some 40 grit sanding discs and it worked with 10x less effort AND it was faster.

Here's how the trunk looked after ages of sanding with 80grit:
    684_zpsp3csxzha.jpg

Here's a 60 grit sanding disc after 20 seconds of use: (Bosch sanding disc, made for paint removal)
    683_zpskopswofu.jpg

And finally, hooray! ONE sanding disc to do the entire thing. 40 grit is magical stuff.
    682_zpsircltc97.jpg

I've since sprayed it lightly with self-etching primer to keep the rust off of it for the next little while I work on the doors and hood.

Also I mentioned that I had ordered those new door trim pieces, they finally arrived and they seem great! Here's a video explaining everything:

Last edited by Jamos; 08-20-2016 at 08:24 PM.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    For anyone following along paying attention to prices, I just found a paint and body shop selling what I'm looking for - SPi paint - it's called AKN and it's in Barrie, Ontario.

I'm going down to metal, hitting it with epoxy primer, high build primer, blocking it, sealing it with the same epoxy primer (just reduced) and then doing base and clear.

Primers will run me about $460 after tax, and base and clear will run $720ish after tax. I'll have two gallons of sprayable epoxy, two gallons of base, two gallons of clear and 1.25 gallons of high build. Total cost to me after taxes is just under $1200.

And yes, I make the guys chuckle on the phone when I explain, "... and I was going to prove the entire internet wrong that I could spray bomb the car! I really was..." hahah

Polyurethane everything, primer, base, clear.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    685_zpscs9mieud.jpg

Who's excited that they're spending all their money on paint supplies!? THIS GUY!

Black epoxy primer, grey 2k high build primer, gallon of thinner/gun clean, quart of reducer and some other misc stuff. Incredible people today!

I'm going to do some test spraying tomorrow on a door, hooray the time has come.

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast