Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Body work / Paint on the 'ole girl

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport, i3 REX
    Isn't SEM stuff everyone's favorite? No smell at all, Jamos? Very tempting.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Could be? I really don't know!

I've always stayed away from painting interior stuff, 10 years ago it was a joke and never worked well with what you could get at the local store. This stuff is incredible, SO easy - and on my plastic trim pieces it works excellent too. I tried an old door sill, half sanded, cleaned, sprayed with adhesion promoter, and the other have just . . wiped down and sprayed:

This stuff doesn't really smell either, I mean it certainly smells WHEN you're painting it, but I could put my nose right up to it and take a deep wiff and it just smells like . . . carpet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    Nice. They have it at my local Supercheap for about $15 a can. Might pick some up, do some test spraying and see what I think of it. After that, all I gotta do is have my guy do the headliner & A/B/C pillars in the dark grey, wrap my wood and it's done. Looks fantastic!

Keep going man, I'm following everything you're working on, it's awesome.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Thanks again, I have to admit: When I'm doing stuff I think, "Oh crap I have to take a picture so I can show Sobek!" haha

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    You lie like a rug......
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    '95 740i
    And you. . the two of you =D

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    I've been having trouble finding a rear carpet section for the shorty in black . May just spray that section and call it a day...

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Yeah my plan is to take out the seats, spray the carpet. Also the seat bottoms - the plastic bits. But it'll take a couple cans because of how thick our carpets are, but hell for $20 it sure beats buying other carpet!

My Cars
    I wonder how resistant it is to scuffs and scratches on surfaces that see a lot of contact, like seats and such?

The idea of rattle canning my car goes against every fiber of my being, but if I can get over doing it to the exterior then maybe the interior won't be too hard to stomach. Unless it all goes horribly wrong, of course.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Well this isn't just spray paint, it's more of a dye, it actually soaks in a bit to the plastic. After 10 minutes, I tried scuffing that piece that had two coats on it, and I had to really smash the rattle can against it to make a mark, same as I would on the stock piece! So . . there. Carpets apparently last a very long time, and the pieces I'd dye/paint won't be very busy areas, except the driver's door top panel.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport, i3 REX
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    I've been having trouble finding a rear carpet section for the shorty in black . May just spray that section and call it a day...
    Same here. My main concern with swapping carpet is having an unwanted piece of carpet to deal with. Not a huge market for sand interior bits.
    Last edited by noahabel; 06-04-2015 at 12:31 AM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by noahabel View Post

Same here. My main concern with swapping carpet is having an unwanted piece of carpet to deal with. Not a huge market for sand interior bits.
    You can just toss it. Im probably going to just spray it as it's the main piece keeping me from doing the swap...

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    On the tail lights, I siliconed the rubber seal when reapplied. That should stop that gunk buildup. Also I had moisture in there as well.

Looking good. I used Fiebing's leather dye 2 years ago and it's holding fine except slight wear where my feet are constantly moving but that is an easy touchup. but I have a black carpet now just waiting on my lazy butt to put it in.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Don't use paint that sat out all winter.

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After spraying the bumper that hammered black yesterday, I went out today and guess what, STILL wet. Yah, STILL. What a HUGE pain in the ass. I tried my graffiti remover and it just smears it around and dries it in clumps. Sand paper fills up instantly.

I said to hell with it, and used aircraft stripper and guess what, it worked! Incredibly well. WHAT. No harm at all to the plastic, looks brand new.

Man if I had just used this to begin with I would have been done a week ago.

Anyway, I REALLY lie like a rug as this won't be ready even tomorrow, oorr the next day OR THE NEXT because it's supposed to be raining for the next 10 years straight apparently. This is becoming exceptionally frustrating.

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    Don't use paint that sat out all winter.

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After spraying the bumper that hammered black yesterday, I went out today and guess what, STILL wet. Yah, STILL. What a HUGE pain in the ass. I tried my graffiti remover and it just smears it around and dries it in clumps. Sand paper fills up instantly.

I said to hell with it, and used aircraft stripper and guess what, it worked! Incredibly well. WHAT. No harm at all to the plastic, looks brand new.

Man if I had just used this to begin with I would have been done a week ago.

Anyway, I REALLY lie like a rug as this won't be ready even tomorrow, oorr the next day OR THE NEXT because it's supposed to be raining for the next 10 years straight apparently. This is becoming exceptionally frustrating.

You can make a paint room with clear plastic you know. Use 9 or 12 ft sheets and duct tape.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-9-ft-x-400-ft-0-31-mil-High-Density-Plastic-Painters-HSHD09-400/204711643?N=5yc1vZc5iu

Last edited by Hueristic; 06-04-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Haha yeah I could, I HAVE a paint room, but not big enough to fit my car. And the rain is a problem because of humidity. I would do the car in the garage, but it's detached and unheated so it just keeps the humidity in too. I hate this game.

On the flip side, put the bumper outside in the sun and the paint cured!

My Cars
    '95 740i
    WELL wasn't today a fun day:

Sanded'r all down once that paint stripper dried: (Gee, didn't I see this look over a WEEK ago!?)

Threw a couple coats of grey primer on to find all the rough sand spots:

Cleaned them all up, and presto:

Ain't she purdy?

This is all thanks to my new sander:

It sure worked it's butt off today! My previous sander, a Black & Decker from the '80s just couldn't hold on to the 80 grit paper I was using, every 3 seconds it would slide off, some colourful language later I gave in and got that new sander. It looks very well used already, but wow these "detail sanders" are incredible!! I would have been done a week ago if I had this thing.

Anyhoo, it's dark out and started raining again, so I'm not sure about painting tomorrow. HOWEVER I did grab two new cans of that fabric dye, and two new cans of INCREDIBLE hammered paint by Rust-oleum, it's SO nice and even sprays upside down! It couldn't be easier to use, unlike that darned Tremclad can I was using earlier.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Then I moved on to the final spot of rust on the car - the second of two that I noticed when I purchased the car. The passenger front door just under the chrome trim on the bottom of the window was bubbling about 1cm˛

What a SURPRISE this was though when I took the trim off (it was painted on by the PO so I've never been able to get it to lift up, tonight I told myself, "ain't no little piece of chrome going to get in my way" and he-manned it out.)

Using my dremel again, I grinded it all away - took a good 45 minutes - while trying to leave as much metal as possible:

I hit it with some RUST CHECK rust converter, 2 minutes later it looked as such:

Annnnnd because it started raining, I put the seal back on just to help things out: (you can see in this picture that the VISIBLE rust was very minimal compared to what was hiding under that trim)

Earlier I took out the bolts for the seats, but the rain stopped me from taking the seats out of the car. I found TWO of the BMW tools under the passenger seat though, I almost have the whole kit again! Haha

Annnd now it's time for a Bud.
    Last edited by Jamos; 06-05-2015 at 09:43 PM.

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    Bloody nice work here. That bumper looks so clean, I genuinely think people are going to love the look and want to do it themselves (or pay you to do it hahaha). Love it! I've got a spot of rust near the trunk lid hydraulic hinge on the body to touch up but that's NOTHING compared to what you're doing - but I enjoy seeing it, gives me hints and tips as to how to tackle things myself.

I want to see a picture of your sprayed floor mats once they're done and in the car, just to get the overall picture and look.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Thanks Sobek! I've seen so many of these threads over the years and always wanted to do it myself. I woke up one day and just took out the grinder and started at it!

I'll probably do the other front floor mat tomorrow and get you a picture - regardless I'm doing it, and will have pictures at some point. Every time I put a date to something it never pans out, moores law or something.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Tada!

THREE CANS of the stuff, and I didn't get complete coverage (under the passenger front seat is still bare) wow this carpet is THICK.

Looks SO good in person though, couldn't be happier. Need to do the passenger side rugs, and then the door top brown parts - waiting for the dash to get here though, in case it shows up in 1,000,000 pieces.

My Cars
    1995 730iL (M60B30)
    Whaaaaaat. I must have been having a braindead moment, I didn't realise you were doing the ENTIRE carpet. That looks SO MUCH BETTER.

Damn! Nice. Man this is how they should have done it from the factory.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    It REALLY drinks up the dye though. You do it and it looks gorgeous, then you move it and you can kind of see some of the lighter colour through it still, SO what I did was use a big scrub brush every time I painted. So I'd spray a 1x1ft section and then rub it in with the brush, and on and on. Worked great, AND softened the carpet even more =D

Certainly stinky in there though, leaving the doors open is a good idea.

Removing the two top trim carpet pieces beside the center console and doing them on the floor is much better. No need to tape anything off AND the overspray ends up spraying on the carpet you'd end up spraying anyway, win win. The only issue I see is the top hump in the rear seats, I have to some how get paint under that cup holder/vent section without getting it on anything else - shouldn't be too hard with some correct taping and all, but that's going to be the hardest - oh and the gas pedal/brake were in the way and made it difficult.

ALSO the darned can doesn't like being sprayed anything but horizontal, as soon as I angled it, it went stupid.

However, 100lbs of fumes in the lungs later, it looks excellent!

Thx Sobek =)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, even IF it starts to fade from wear - nothing a little light touch up couldn't take care of, AND it would match colour perfectly.

That black carpet on tan is a thing of beauty Jamos! Really digging that!

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Thanks a lot! Though I certainly can't take credit for orginality. I'd like to see if I can take the carpet out of the doors and paint it black as well, unlikely but I'll certainly give it a go.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast