Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Body work / Paint on the 'ole girl

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    Yeah I was thinking about going larger on the air hose, but I have 1/2" TO the connections now, and the hose itself is actually only 1/4" hose, BUT it zipped my lugs off (11k rpm tool) in less than a second. I'm not worried for more air after seeing that =)

- - - Updated - - -

Haha Purple :P Don't say THE SIX, damn you Drake, damn you.
    Drake put you on the map haha...

My Cars
    1997 740iL (5/96 build)
    Jamos, I just looked over this thread. What a great project; you've made an awesome contribution to "the community". You have some real skills and the fact that you push through your MS limitations is a real inspiration. I look forward to watching the rest of your journey.

who knows you may even inspire me to get my butt back in gear and resume my e38 rebuild (over 3 years; mostly sitting, lol).

Thanks for sharing and best of luck with the rest of the project.
    1997 740iL; 5/96 build. Purchased 12/04. Off the road build project 2013 - 2021. back on road 3/2021. Became daily driver (only vehicle) 6/12/2021. Still not completed. Stay tuned as the adventure continues.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Hey thanks for that Cyclops!

Fwiw it's not MS that I have but MD. Everybody mixes the two up, neither is better than the other though hah.

Regardless,
    Today I will put up the projector itself and the led ceiling strips and that room will just about be done. Ups decided to bring my stuff back to their warehouse yesterday so still a few little things in there.

But this is about the E38 not my garage.

My sand blaster was used on the parents G6 that was dripping rust.. Works great! Can't wait to hit the hard to get spots on my 7 and finally coat her in epoxy primer.

The hardest area for me is the license plate lights on the trunk. So much rust hidden up in those seems. I'll be using either aluminum oxide or copper slag else if I can't them just just home depot dried sand (respirator mandetory! Sciliosis isn't a very nice thing from what I hear)

Oh and.. Its hot. Very hot.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably one of the final pictures of the "theatre room" part of the garage, but here's a shot with full sunlight, and full brightness from the ceiling lights - look how clear that screen is still! Hooah.

656_zpsfvmdzkvo.jpg

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    2000 740iL - 07/99
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Can I move in? Im coming to the 6!
    When are you coming?

Haha Purple :P Don't say THE SIX, damn you Drake, damn you.
    I know, right?!
    Follow me on Instagram @SEVEN40iL

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN40iL View Post

When are you coming?

I know, right?!
    Do candians hate drake?

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I don't care for Drake, met him when he was all, "I'm going to become a rapper" at my buddies studio, and we laughed it off. Oops

BUT anyway, TODAY . . .

Damn you fenders, damn you.

Got all the torx off except for the the front top torx nearest the headlight. It REFUSED to budge, it shattered two torx bits that I had! FINALLY got one off, and then went to get the one behind the light. Nope, nothing. NOTH ING..

So I took a drill bit. Dulled that bit. Took a cobalt bit, nothing. Took a titanium bit, nothing.

Took air hammer, nothing. Took cut off disc, just ate the disc.

WHAT ON EARTH are these screws made of!?!? Point is, after two hours, the fender is still on the car.

I give up. Anyone want a 740?

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    I don't care for Drake, met him when he was all, "I'm going to become a rapper" at my buddies studio, and we laughed it off. Oops

BUT anyway, TODAY . . .

Damn you fenders, damn you.

Got all the torx off except for the the front top torx nearest the headlight. It REFUSED to budge, it shattered two torx bits that I had! FINALLY got one off, and then went to get the one behind the light. Nope, nothing. NOTH ING..

So I took a drill bit. Dulled that bit. Took a cobalt bit, nothing. Took a titanium bit, nothing.

Took air hammer, nothing. Took cut off disc, just ate the disc.

WHAT ON EARTH are these screws made of!?!? Point is, after two hours, the fender is still on the car.

I give up. Anyone want a 740?
    LOL Right! They make every other bolt in the car of butter except the body bolts! I had to just rip the bottom one in the door well out and get it out after the fender was off. Weld an allen head in there.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    '95 740i
    It's because of the clips they use, the four front ones were ceased big time. The one behind the headlight on both sides refused to come out, so I just cut the fender off around the bolt - will deal with that later.

Car looks mean without fenders!!

My Cars
    '95 740i
    After a few days of CANADA DAY celebration I got back to the garage, and got the wiring all done finally, 8 more power sockets, hooray! The whole garage is wired up nicely now. Tools have started to all get organized, peg boards up and filled up. Concrete floor has all been patched up (still some grinding/smoothing to do but it looks much better than anticipated) annnd yeah, our cars just look so mean with the fenders off IMO!

657_zpsdxjqb99c.jpg

Here's a shot showing that fancy clock finally installed as per the 3D concept:
    658_zpszijg0xys.jpg

ANYWAY today is the last slacker day I can afford.

I put in another $1000 worth of tools and parts orders that should arrive tomorrow and the next day, everything from another tool box, to sanding blocks and pads and a DA sander, to masks and paint etc..

I'm going to DA the whole car, epoxy prime everything, block sand it all, fill any lousy areas, annnd get moving!

With the fenders off now and 50lbs of copper slag, I'll sand blast them as there is a fair amount of rust inside the upper tire arch - rears are in good shape fortunately, and the trunk near the license plate lights needs a good sand blasting as well.

Running water now, air tools, clean work space.. sheeeeucks it's all coming together!

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Lov it when a plan comes together!!!!
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I love this car.

I received my GALLON of POR 15 today from Amazon, only.. it wasn't a GALLON it was A PINT!? Some very angry words back and fourth with Amazon, the seller got back to me, "So sorry, Amazon messed up the image, you're refunded and can keep the pint of paint, take care!"

HORRIBLE mood went to super happy mood real quick (last Drake mention in this thread)

I got myself a proper utility tray for the garage, nice big 4 or 5 inch castors, three large shelves and a drawer, ooohh fancy and it's RED and matches my garage perfectly.

I ordered two fans, this humidity and heat has been insanity the past few days, only issue is I have to wait until TUESDAY to get them - I'm currently hiding in my basement, the only cool place for miles haha.

I received my DA Sander the other day, it's excellent! 6" disc with a nice 3/4" interface pad so I can sand all around the body lines no problem. It isn't so nice for getting in to the small spots of course (like the top of the door panel where it meets the window) but that's no biggy.

Check out this picture:

20160705_123950.jpg

No idea what that box is all about, but the blocks are gorgeous!

Also got two saw horses to work with, that'll be a huge help! This garage should start MAKING me money shortly, so far it's just been taking all of my money hahaha!

My Cars
    '95 740i
    659_zpsluebzyks.jpg

I make'd these.

I started pulling apart the chrome trip from the top of the car - came out quite easily, no bends, lots of snapped clips heh. 23˘ each, and $45USD shipping, I love you USA.

ANYWAY I am going to paint the door jambs, and realized I'll have to take off those factory stickers. So, instead of losing them, why not replace them with some easy-to-make replicas with my vinyl printer/cutter. I have no idea if it's legal or not, but the VIN matches and it's just for information purposes IMO. But I feel like it may be like saying, "Well I drew my license plate number on cardboard, it should be legal."

I'm DOING it anyway.

I'm looking around for other stickers to replace in the engine bay, I'll get a nice new fusebox layout printed out so that'll be nice.

I've been working on the car quite a bit, still no paint as of yet, but lots of sanding and grinding and ideas. Tings is moving along.

FWIW, this is what the current stickers look like - seems as if the PO tried to break in, or had someone attempt to (door locks were replaced by a PO is all I know)

660_zpseetdqa3a.jpg
    Last edited by Jamos; 07-15-2016 at 04:00 PM.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    decals look excellent - I don't think they will notice the color difference on the Canadian maple leaf......
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I have always hated that sticker! Sticks out like a sore thumb a real, STICKER.

Just redesigned the fuse box sticker as well, it should look a slight bit better than the current one!

661_zpstkxzven0.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

(haven't proof-read it yet, and already see errors after posting, eugh!)

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Remember how much paint got sucked into your fan when all you did was paint the valve covers and intake?

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Haha yah, because I blew the paint right down at the fan, but I have filters and fans for when I actually paint the car =)

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Spent a good 10 hours today grinding and sanding.

The door sills all had little specks of rust showing up under the plastic BMW door sills, so I ground it all away, annnd got carried away and grinded ALL the paint away down to the metal. By grind, I mean used a sanding attachment on a drill, eugh! Drill lasted though, good o'l Makita.

Going near the rear passenger door I found more body filler. I tracked it up over the rear wheel arch and to the rear light. I ended up taking it down to the metal from the rear door to the rear tail light. Took the rear bumper sill down to metal too.

Also found some extra paint layers on the car, check this out - count'm

662_zpsg2zkuxpq.jpg

Here's the only shot I have of how purdy the car looks when taken down to metal, a BMW Delorean! =D

663_zpsfklyukhk.jpg

Tomorrow I'll have them sanded down completely and primed with 2 part epoxy primer. Hooah!

- - - Updated - - -

Kind of slow video, but.. it's a video:

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Before

664_zps8tgtjaoh.jpg

After
    665_zpsyvrkznrz.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

An ENTIRE can of that SprayMax Epoxy Primer. Still need another coat, I didn't expect it to go so fast! Jeeepers.

I think I'll need four in total, so I'm ordering FIVE more tomorrow just to be safe - $30 a pop, eek.

Before anyone starts to jump down my throat, No, I will not get an HPLV setup. Cans only.

I went around and did extra sanding, and then extra extra sanding, and then extra extra EXTRA sanding just to be sure EVERY square mm was scuffed up to allow maximum adhesion. In that "after" picture you can see the paint on the rear is still wet, so it looks blotchy but it's all dried up even now.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Why not get a proper setup? You'll probably spend more on cans and have a lower quality finish... You can argue the point and play devil's advocate all day but im yet to meet a painter who would even attempt to paint a car or a bike with cans...

My Cars
    '95 740i
    It's 2K paint, same pressure, same paint. SAME result. "Orange peel doh!" ... every painter gets orange peel, it's all about cutting and buffing. You're never going to get me to do the "proper" setup. I'm doing this to prove EVERYONE wrong, y'know.. because I know best

But seriously, 2K Epoxy Primer... there is no better paint/primer for the base from an air gun or not, zero difference except cost, and without sounding like a jerk, I'm not worried about cost. If I planned on painting another car then I'd get a better setup.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    I was worried 'till I saw your second post - don't leave that "Delorean" look any longer than necessary, rust will start immediately from every place you touch the bare metal also. Be careful and prep well. it will pay off in the long run.

I have actually seen nice looking paint jobs using a ROLLER - it just need more sanding and buffing. There are uTube videos on the roller jobs...by the way.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Yeah I've seen roller jobs, eek.

I was surprised that the metal didn't flash - AT ALL - but I sanded it down again and cleaned it before painting just to be sure.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Pretty sure I'm not alone when I say, IT'S TOO BLOODY HOT OUT THERE!

Look what arrived! $130 worth of paint. Yay.
    667_zpspuc7l51q.jpg

Lots of sanding/rubbing down with the red scotch pad today, and came up with this:
    666_zpsok1bqpi7.jpg

Also arrived in the mail:
    668_zps03vrm2jq.jpg

It was the faucet I ordered a month ago, it is PERFECT and works great.
    669_zpssu1l4yht.jpg

I'm getting physically drained =D

My Cars
    tbd
    that intel on the door striker = priceless!

coming along amazingly it looks great. Wish I had the b@lls to do this with mine. but I a little too much body damage to deal with. plus an entire respray (jams included due to color change)

keep up the good work!

Looking to buy

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I'm doing colour change but from dark blue to lighter blue so engine bay stays the same.

As for the nerve to do it... Its been long enough and in figure if anything messes up.. I can Just fix it and fix it again hah.

I'm going to paint the doors off of the car so that there won't be any seam between the jambs and exterior. So long as I paint the doors as they sit on the car I don't see any possible issue.

only issue now is the fact that it's too hot to breathe right now =D

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast