Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear window replacement dilemma - OEM or aftermarket...

My Cars
    E85 Z4
    I had one... I bought one on a trip to Europe 18 months ago in anticipation of swapping it. One cool morning my old window split, so I did the swap.

Some of the stitching needed to be re-sewn, so that was done first.

The install LOOKS straightforward enough, but can be a really painfully frustrating process which involves shouting obscenities at the car, the window, and the helper.

I was unable to get a good fitment without creases in the corners despite beginning the zipper at various points. It may have been because of the stitching repair affecting the window tension, but I have been so frustrated I've had the hardtop on instead for more than 1 year.

I'm currently on another European trip and I've ordered a complete new replacement roof fabric.

I have read of other people who were more successful that I was, so it IS possible. Just don't expect it to be as easy as it looks.

BUMP to see if any new info... my OEM top is in great condition still. Zipper stitching is faded color, but seems to be holding fine. Just need to replace the window and ADM ebay window looks like the way to go...

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    Just came across this thread. My original window is ok at best but the rubber trim is gone. Like others I want the trim. I think I am going to give ADM a try. I will post results when I get it.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I just installed one of the ADM windows over the weekend. I had never done any sort of rear window before, but the whole project only took about 45 minutes working by myself.

It came with a double sided tape to stick the canvas down to the window. I was worried that it would be difficult to apply, but it turned out to be very easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good. I have an ADM on the way.

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    I replaced my e36 m3 window today with the ADM window. Fit great, looks great. Happy happy happy.

My Cars
    1998 e36 M3 Vert
    Don't normally like to resurrect old threads, but I did promise to get back to folks. I bought the ADM window off German eBay three years ago and FINALLY got around to installing it today. Job went very easily. Working alone it took me exactly 35 minutes to get the clip out, get the old window unzipped and zip the ADM window in. If you're careful about keeping the same number of teeth on the window zipper tails on each side of the top zipper tails, the window will zip in correctly on the first try, like mine did. It actually took me longer to sew up the tails to keep them from unzipping than it did to zip in the new window.

Window seems high quality. Fit just fine, zipper engaged just fine, and the rubber trim looks EXACTLY like the factory window I took out. Also, the fabric on the top tucked into the rubber trim perfectly needing no glue.

I have no idea on longevity, but for ease of installation and coming out with a factory appearance, I'd give it a 10 out of 10. Add in the low price and the ease of dealing with the ADM folks in Germany over email, I can't see going another way.

Just my $0.02.

Lotsobmws.

My Cars
    1998 323i convertible
    Is it cheaper on German eBay than US eBay?

My Cars
    1997 328i c M trim
    I was happy with emiata window

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This car is AWESOME !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12