Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear window replacement dilemma - OEM or aftermarket...

My Cars
    1998 e36 M3 Vert

Rear window replacement dilemma - OEM or aftermarket...

The rear window on my 98 M3 vert is original and a little cloudy. I have lived with that by polishing it periodically with Meguiars plastic polish, but the plastic piping around the window suddenly cracked and it looks awful. Time to do something about it.

I read all the posts and conversations I could find about rear window replacement and there seems to be no consensus on this topic. From what I've read, the choice boils down to this.

1. eMiata Window

- Much cheaper - $129
    - Window is thicker and softer
    - Zipper can be difficult to engage precisely
    - No plastic trim - canvas trim requires lots of gluing and can come loose

2. -OEM Window

- Much more expensive - looks to be about $400
    - window is thinner and stiffer
    - Zipper can be tough to engage but easier to engage precisely
    - Plastic trim precisely replicates original

There are lots of posts in lots of discussions with folks coming out strongly on both sides and no clear consensus.

For my part, I'm fine with a canvas trim, but not fine with having to fuss with glue that will let loose over time and require constant attention.

Are there any other reproduction windows with trim that replicates the original?

Any good sources for an OEM window?

I'm more concerned with functionality and appearance than price?

Any one want to chime in on the best way to go?

Thanks...Lotsobmws

My Cars
    1995 318i Vert
    for $400 you can buy a whole new NON-OEM top, with new rear window... while I recall you saying your top is in good condition, I would not spend $400 on a window for a top that may fail in a couple of years down the road...

if you can spend the $400, if I were you, I would replace the whole thing instead... granted.. no zipper window on the NON-OEM top, but I personally think you would be better off with a completely new top..

1995 318i Convertible - Work in progress

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    From what I've read (and maybe this is over-valuing my take on it as well) the emiata window is the consensus.

You're going to have to glue the oem window trim in place anyway. From Pelicanparts:
    With the window properly zipped and installed, peel back the roof fabric and apply a thin bead of contact cement. Wait about five minutes for the cement to harden slightly—and be especially careful not to spill this on your newly installed window.
    If your top is good, go emiata and 99% of the world would have no idea it's not an oem piece. If you want to spend $400 do like Renzo said and just get a whole new top.

My Cars
    1998 e36 M3 Vert
    Brashland - Thanks for the suggestion. That's where I was heading. My original top is perfect since the car has been used so little and has had almost no sun exposure, so I'm really not cool with the idea of replacing it, especially if the replacement top has a sew-in window. Plastic windows are alomst wear items,

I bought a 330 e46 vert for my wife as an anniversary present three years ago. She loves it (I do too) and actually became a decent performance driver to take advantage of it. Every time that top goes up and down with the glass window I get jealous.

Lotsobmws

Thanks

My Cars
    '04 BMW Z4 Roadster 2,2i
    I do have another alternative for anyone in need of a new rear vert window.....though the shipping rate is quite high.....all in all it does cost more than the eMiata window,but it is practically identical with the factory window from BMW:

Click

I have installed one of those and have watched one being installed.
    The zipper is always a hassle until you have done it a few times.Then it gets easier.

Plus on this window is,the plastic trim (we call that Keder in german,i haven't found any kind of equivalent in english....) is present,like i mentioned before,and identical to the original window trim,unlike the eMiata one....plus you can have the window in the original green tint or without it,meaning completely clear.

They also offer a black tint:

Click

Higher price,of course....

There is another offer,which has a very similar window,though the trim is slimmer,so you'll have a harder time getting the canvas fitted....i have this window fitted on my vert and THAT was a pain....the other offer i mentioned before is much better in that aspect.

But,if you don't mind that,here it is:

Click

They also offer green,clear and black tint,here's the black one:

Click

This one is more expensive as well.

All in all i can recommend both offers in terms of quality.My rear window is fitted for a few years now and is still in very good shape.

So if you are willing to spend a little more money and can have a little patience,you will be rewarded with an excellent window,i can guarantee that based on my own experience with both dealers.

Greetz

Cap
    Last edited by CaptainFuture01; 05-20-2015 at 12:22 PM.

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFuture01 View Post
    I do have another alternative for anyone in need of a new rear vert window.....

Greetz

Cap
    Quality post. I've never seen a window with the plastic trim other than OEM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I once bought an non OEM window. What was I thinkings. The rubber trim is essential. The non OEM windows with the fabric you need to cement.

I sold it, bought an OEM and and never looked back.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    '04 BMW Z4 Roadster 2,2i
    Like i linked,you get non OEM windows WITH trim here in Germany.

Greetz

Cap

My Cars
    1998 e36 M3 Vert
    CaptainFuture01.

Thanks so much for the extremely informative post. I'm checking into it right now.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, these german-sourced windows have rubber trim that looks like the OEM window and the top material tucks into this trim and does not need to be glued. Is that correct?

Thanks again...Lotsobmws
    Last edited by Lotsobmws; 05-21-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Might be able to take a look at our parts catalog here and see what type of pricing we offer for a replacement as well. Good luck!

-Luccia
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFuture01 View Post
    Like i linked,you get non OEM windows WITH trim here in Germany.

Greetz

Cap
    Missed your post. Nice to see some alternatives, although I always go OEM now.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    '04 BMW Z4 Roadster 2,2i
    @Lotsobmws
    Both dealers recommend gluing in the canvas (they deliver a sealing tape for that operation as well).But the (plastic) trim from ADM is big enough,that it might work without that.Though they deliver a sealing tape along with the window (which you cann see in the product pictures in the auction,it's that red ring in the ADM auction),as well as the other dealer to use for that case.

BMW itself is using a sealing tape themselves:

Click

That is,what you will get from both dealers too.So the canvas is glued in with the OEM window as well.

The biggest "problem" with that eMiata window seems to be the completely missing trim,to perform that action.But that is applied to both windows from linked auctions,though the second window has a smaller trim,which makes gluing in the trim a little tough.Or at least that was the case with my window,but i doubt,they have changed that by now...so i'd rather recommend the ADM window.The trim is OEM size,so you won't have a problem with that sealing tape there.

@MParallel
    I fully understand that,because i do that with pretty much every other part in the car.Cheap replacements never last,which i have experienced several times before as well.But this one here is a good alternative.

Greetz

Cap

My Cars
    1998 e36 M3 Vert
    After emailing an ADM rep back and forth to confirm fitment and shipping to the US, I just bought a replacement window from ADM off eBay, mostly on CaptainFuture01's recommendation and partly out of curiosity to see how well it would work. Total price with shipping was $140 US. Just about the same as an eMiata window with shipping and WAY less than OEM.

I know replacement windows are of interest to many so I will report back and let you all know how things go.

Lotsobmws

My Cars
    1999 323i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Might be able to take a look at our parts catalog here and see what type of pricing we offer for a replacement as well. Good luck!

-Luccia
    $500 I use you guys for so much stuff, but sometimes...

My Cars
    1998 e36 M3 Vert
    $500 I use you guys for so much stuff, but sometimes...

This...

My Cars
    1998 m3 convertible
    I have a emiata new in box smoke for $ 100.00
    manya2@bellsouth.net

My Cars
    1998 e36 M3 Vert
    I aready bought the ADM window direct from Germany for four reasons:

1. It has black rubber/plastioc trim just like the OEM window, not fabric like the eMiata window.
    2. Price was virtually the same as an eMiata window.
    3. It was made in Germany, with the assumption of good quality.
    4. I was curious to see how well it will work and whether it will be a viable alternative for folks needing an e36 replacement window.

GLWS of your eMiata window.

Lotsobmws.

My Cars
    1998 e36 M3 Vert

UPDATE - Replacement window arrived from Germany to Annapolis today...

The replacement rear window I purchased from ADM in Germany on the Advice of Captain Future arrived today via USPS. Arrived safe and sound. Took about 3 weeks to get here. Total price including shipping was $123 USD. Email communications with the vendor were needed since I bought the window off German eBay and I needed confirmation in English that I was buying the correct window. Vendor communication was good and they were fluent in English.

Window seems high quality and has rubber trim just like the OEM window. Will install it (hopefully) in the next few days and will post results with pictures.

Lotsobmws.
    Last edited by Lotsobmws; 06-15-2015 at 10:43 PM.

My Cars
    1995 325i Convertible
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you received the window! I am very interested on how it goes for you.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Keep us posted on the install!

My Cars
    1995 318i Converible
    Where do you get that price? My local BMW dealer wants $773 for the zip in window that's just the part but does include tax. A local upholstery shop wants $180 to install.I'm in Victoria BC. Dealership wants $5,000 ! for oem top! The dealership build a tajhma hall palace and now they want customers to pay for it.

My Cars
    E36 323i Schwarz 2 , E3
    Paid 89 euros inc. shipping for my zip in window from a german amazon seller

Fitted it myself, glued in the canvas after centering the zipper teeth and zipping it in.

still looking good, not clouded after a few months in dutch shitty weather

My Cars
    E36 325i Cabrio
    Simon - could you de a few close up photos? My rear window is also soon due for a replacement
    Do you have a link for the dealer on Amazon also?
    Danish E36 Cabrio driver
    | 325i Vert |

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    How did the install go. Any comments or advise.

My Cars
    97 328iC
    Bumping this to see if anyone has experience with the ebay window from Germany. The OP never followed up with how the install went, or the quality of the window. For reference, here is the ebay listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-Cabr...796?rmvSB=true

I need a window, but I'd like to get the rubber trim like OEM, without the OEM price tag.

Anybody?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast