Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: My Calypsorot 540/6 Thread

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    This thing looks great. I saw a calypso non-runner on CL the other day and in light of seeing this thread I kinda wanna call about it now!

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    These arrived last night, just waiting on the diff bushings and a CV rebuild kit before knocking out the LSD install. While I'm in there, I'll replace the CSB as well.

Also, this weekend I'm dropping off the M62 to be cleaned and decked, the rotating assembly is going to be balanced and all new rings and bearings are going to be installed.

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    If this is going to stay predominantly a street car, be conservative with how much rubber you swap out of the non-stationary pieces. Leads to more vibrations and wobbling. Whatever you do, don't put in a poly guibo. Ask Sam Son bout that one

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsixe34 View Post
    If this is going to stay predominantly a street car, be conservative with how much rubber you swap out of the non-stationary pieces. Leads to more vibrations and wobbling. Whatever you do, don't put in a poly guibo. Ask Sam Son bout that one
    For sure! I'm going to stick with rubber trans mounts and guibo, after the subframe bushings I'm pretty much done with poly stuff.

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by UnrulyGrace View Post
    For sure! I'm going to stick with rubber trans mounts and guibo, after the subframe bushings I'm pretty much done with poly stuff.
    Nice, Powerflex subframe bushings are the truth. Added stiffness and 2 halves that slip straight into the frame? Yes please. Even if you're not going for any handling, who wants to press new rubbers into the frame after finally getting the old ones out? Not me.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Just waiting on one more package from Pelican Parts and I will start the differential swap, and rear end refresh.

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Looking good man! Glad the brakes worked out for you. Im getting closer the a custom big bore BMC - You will be my first call once I get it worked out.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by tgriffith009 View Post
    Looking good man! Glad the brakes worked out for you. Im getting closer the a custom big bore BMC - You will be my first call once I get it worked out.
    Thanks bud!

Last of the parts I ordered arrived today. Can't wait until next Friday to knock out the diff swap and other upgrades/maintenance items.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Sweet! LMK how your upper differential bushing is when you pull it. I replaced mine "preventatively," but the old one was absolutely perfect and had no flex, which annoyed me (was all BMW vs the Lemf I bought). @ 220,000 miles.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Sweet! LMK how your upper differential bushing is when you pull it. I replaced mine "preventatively," but the old one was absolutely perfect and had no flex, which annoyed me (was all BMW vs the Lemf I bought). @ 220,000 miles.
    I'll be sure to let you know...even if those 3 bushings are in good shape, I'll swap them for the new ones since I can't return them haha. Cant wait to use the LSD and have shorter shift throws!

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Installed the 3.15 LSD, short shift kit, and the DSSR this past Friday. We didn't tackle the subframe bushings yet, but hopefully before the first of the year. I'm terrible at taking pictures while I'm working on the car, but I already started another list of maintenance items I need to take care of, including a CSB, replace all the power steering hoses, install the new radiator I have sitting in my garage along with an electric fan conversion and top end gasket refresh...the list never ends.

Also, picked up this nice piece
    Last edited by UnrulyGrace; 11-30-2015 at 01:36 PM.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    -Alex

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    B44 block is ready for clean-up, the rotating assembly is going to be balanced, and all put back together.

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    Will be curious to see how far out of balance the stock motor is. Can you keep records of the piston and rod weights please.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    So this is what your up too, just replied to your PM.
    are you doing any porting on the heads? Some headers would be nice too.
    Nice looking E34.

My Cars
    1996 520i SE
    This thread is seriously drool worthy.

My car is due for inspection in 2-3 weeks time and I'm planning on updating the front suspension. Only just found out about these Moosehead Thrust Arm bushes, definitely something I'll look into, so thanks for that!

Are you going to poly bush any other suspension components like LCA's or ARB's?

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Unruly, you may already know about this, just in case you don't.
    Pull out this oil check valve (arrow) and make sure it's clean. It closes when there is no oil pressure (engine off) and keeps the oil that is in the heads from draining back into the sump. If they get dirty they stick in the open position. I've seen a few of them stuck open, easy to clean and put back in.
    There's one on each bank.

Block CV.JPG
    Last edited by JimLev; 12-20-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: left a word out

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by ballizard View Post
    This thread is seriously drool worthy.

My car is due for inspection in 2-3 weeks time and I'm planning on updating the front suspension. Only just found out about these Moosehead Thrust Arm bushes, definitely something I'll look into, so thanks for that!

Are you going to poly bush any other suspension components like LCA's or ARB's?
    The suspension is practically done, or at least where I'm happy with it. I have poly subframe bushings, sway bar bushings, and engine mounts, and spherical bearings in the UCAs and LCAs. The only thing left to do suspension wise is to pull the subframe and have toe/camber adjusters welded on and replace the RTABs with M5 pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Unruly, you may already know about this, just in case you don't.
    Pull out this oil check valve (arrow) and make sure it's clean. It closes when there is no oil pressure (engine off) and keeps the oil that is the heads from draining back into the sump. If they get dirty they stick in the open position. I've seen a few of them stuck open, easy to clean and put back in.
    There's one on each bank.

Block CV.JPG

Thanks for the heads up Jim.

My Cars
    1996 520i SE
    If you can pardon my ignorance, but what's the benefits of upgrading to spherical bearings in the UCAs and LCAs?
    BkS Media | IG: @bally_san

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by ballizard View Post
    If you can pardon my ignorance, but what's the benefits of upgrading to spherical bearings in the UCAs and LCAs?
    Its all good. Spherical bearings are much higher quality and the Moosehead units I have in the UCAs are completely rebuildable and won't wear as fast as even the best poly bushings. They also give much more feedback and there is no play whatsoever (Both good and bad...I feel every little imperfection in the road)

- - - Updated - - -

B44 block after a bath...

and a nice little pick up...

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    The block cleaned up well. Is that just a stain in the #2 cylinder wall?

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    The block cleaned up well. Is that just a stain in the #2 cylinder wall?
    I noticed that too, but just a stain thankfully.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    M5 replica!?! TOUGEM5?! J/k

So, you find the Mooseheads a little rough? I seem to be one of the few that didn't notice a rougher ride, but maybe it's because I'm still on relatively soft Billie HD and H&Rs, and my baseline was completely shot stock UCABs. That and there really aren't any good roads near me, so I'm probably jaded. I wouldn't trade the steering precision and feel for the world (ok, I would for a feasible rack swap), though.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    M5 replica!?! TOUGEM5?! J/k

So, you find the Mooseheads a little rough? I seem to be one of the few that didn't notice a rougher ride, but maybe it's because I'm still on relatively soft Billie HD and H&Rs, and my baseline was completely shot stock UCABs. That and there really aren't any good roads near me, so I'm probably jaded. I wouldn't trade the steering precision and feel for the world (ok, I would for a feasible rack swap), though.
    Hey now, thats a low blow! The darker sills go so well with the direction I'm going with the interior (Wait until you see the graphite birds eye maple trim thats on its way)

The Mooseheads are definitely harsher than the Powerflex bushings I had in my last E34, but like you, I wouldn't trade the feel and precision for anything less than a solid rack set-up, its just so planted and predicable at all times, even when I'm making the LSD work hard.

My Cars
    95 540i/6
    In. Cause uber clean. Mine, not so much. LOL!

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast