Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: My Calypsorot 540/6 Thread

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by UnrulyGrace View Post
    Thanks! Well, I tried a part number with ECS, they said they could source it, but I just received an email saying they cannot. It was worth a shot...I'm following every possible lead for the shift surround, its only a matter of time.
    I have experienced this on a few items, where the order is accepted and I don't even hear anything for a day or two, before getting an NLA message from the parts supplier. Many M5 parts are like this...

Fixed the seat twist my passenger seat developed over the weekend, now I can relax a little bit.
    What method did you use? My passenger seat just developed this, so annoying.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    What method did you use? My passenger seat just developed this, so annoying.
    Left the seat in the car, once raised to it's highest position, I could see the twist was fixed in the past. I trimmed about 1/8" of the cable sheath, aligned the seat back, and secured the cable with a 2" heater hose and clamps.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Yesterday, I installed a new passenger tweeter and dash speaker, still getting some crackling noise over harsh bumps.

Today, my girl and I went on a mission to pick up this M62 so I can start my M60B44 build. Really looking forward to chipping away at this.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UnrulyGrace; 08-16-2015 at 03:43 PM.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Made some progress this weekend. Pulled most of the accessories off the M62 I picked up last weekend. I should have the rest of it torn apart and cleaned in the next 2 weeks.

My Cars
    540i/6, 530i/A, 135is/6
    Nice! Subbed. Does the UUC DSSR part fit non-M5 cars? I'm looking to upgrade the shifter in my '95 540i/6 and I'm deciding between the UUC evo3 and the E60 SSK.
    2013 135is, 1995 540i, 1994 530i

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by Worra View Post
    Nice! Subbed. Does the UUC DSSR part fit non-M5 cars? I'm looking to upgrade the shifter in my '95 540i/6 and I'm deciding between the UUC evo3 and the E60 SSK.
    I too have a 540/6 and the DSSR I ordered is for our cars, unfortunately its still backordered...Once I actually receive the DSSR I'll install that and the E60 SSK at the same time.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    My buddy, tgriffith009 comes through again! Sending these out to be refinished and resealed, and ordering Stop Tech rotors, SS lines, and Hawk pads.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Haha, nice! We're basically on simultaneous paths. Except your car is actually clean

And thanks for the seat twist pictures. I still need to do that.
    Last edited by BleedsBlue; 09-01-2015 at 11:47 AM.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Almost done...

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    So pretty....

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Made a little more progress today, cleaned the carbon build-up off the pistons. Next up is getting the jesus bolt and timing chain covers off.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Just finished moving this past weekend, and received one of the last part shipments I need before the brake and rear end overhaul. October 17th we will get a lot of work done on the car.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    I approve of ALL of this, besides you not having my Brembos, of course

I'll be interested to get your take on the Mooseheads, I haven't heard of an unhappy customer yet. Plus you have coil-overs, which are in my future for sure.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    I fitted my Mooseheads last week, already had BC Racing coilovers, the shimmy is gone and the steering is a lot more direct, but the NVH levels are not pleasant, i'm running 18's, and any catseye or pothole repair I hit feels like i'm driving on flat tyres, there is no give (obviously), you do forget about the extra noise, but it is definitely louder/harsher. Is the trade off worth it? Yeah, but just.

I'd love to see a set that still have some urethane/rubber bush around the perimeter, say 10mm, just to absorb some of the smaller vibrations.

When I changed mine, I dropped the whole suspension setup, both control arms, rear control arm cross beam etc, this was to allow me to clean everything up, retorque all the bolts, add loctite to bolts that didn't have any (3 x strut base plate bolts) plus made removing and refitting the control arms a whole lot easier.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    ^Interesting. I went from shot UCABs to the Mooseheads, and actually noted less NVH. I don't feel a thing through the wheel, and in Colorado our roads are winter-ravaged (every year). I would point to your 18s (I run 17s), but if you were already running 18s and stock UCABs, then I guess it can only be the Mooseheads that increased your NVH levels.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    E34 540i, R34 GTT
    I'm certain if I had 17"s and springs/struts rather than coilovers and 18"s, the NVH levels would be drastically different.

My stock rubbers were shot and the typical shimmy was always evident, replacing them with the Mooseheads tightened everything up beautifully, turn in reaction time is noticeably quicker, much more direct feel through the steering wheel.

But as expected, there is NO give in the new arms now over bumps/road deviations, which is then transmitted into the chassis and steering. If my car was a family hauler not my toy (all my cars are my toys) I wouldn't fit them, but I also wouldn't fit coilovers either.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Finally, made time last night to get into the shop and overhaul the brakes, install new thrust arms w/ Moosehead spherical bushings, pitman arms, and Motorsport Hardware studs all around.

The car is planted and more stabile than I'm used to, and it stops! I noticed the difference in brake bias immediately, feels great. Now its time to take it up to Big Bear and put it through its paces.

My Cars
    ATS-V, X5 35d, A8L, 740i
    Car is looking super clean and sharp!! What made you choose Stoptech rotors and Hawk pads? Does your setup have good bite on the street, or are they a little hard until they get hot? I am looking to do a very similar setup on my 540i/6.
    2016 Cadillac ATS-V/// Vector Blue Metallic/Black Recaros
    2013 X5 35d Platinum Grey Metallic/Black Nevada Leather
    2003 Audi A8L Silver/Gray
    1998 BMW 740iL Black/Parchment

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    I thought those calipers/pads used the entire rotor, for some reason. Regardless, looking sharp.

I NEED COILOVERS.

How's the NVH? You have a lot of aftermarket parts, so I bet you don't notice the Mooseheads.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by googone20 View Post
    Car is looking super clean and sharp!! What made you choose Stoptech rotors and Hawk pads? Does your setup have good bite on the street, or are they a little hard until they get hot? I am looking to do a very similar setup on my 540i/6.
    Thanks! I went with my setup after many discussions on how I drive and what I use the car for. We ended up with Stoptech rotors and Hawk pads, because I wanted something other than blank rotors, but didn't want to hassle with cross drilled, and Hawk makes a great everyday street pad.
    I thought those calipers/pads used the entire rotor, for some reason. Regardless, looking sharp.

I NEED COILOVERS.

How's the NVH? You have a lot of aftermarket parts, so I bet you don't notice the Mooseheads.
    All of the E31 fronts I've seen have some unused rotor unfortunately, but I'm pleased with the performance for sure. I don't notice any NVH difference from before the Mooseheads, but the car feels like it's truly on rails now!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    All of the E31 fronts I've seen have some unused rotor unfortunately, but I'm pleased with the performance for sure. I don't notice any NVH difference from before the Mooseheads, but the car feels like it's truly on rails now!
    The unused rotor is really not an issue, definitely don't worry about it. How do you feel the braking changed? Obviously it will be more fade-resistant, but did you notice any change in bias? Probably harder to tell with your stiffer-than-stock suspension.

Your pictures have me chomping at the bit to Brembo-fy my car!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    The unused rotor is really not an issue, definitely don't worry about it. How do you feel the braking changed? Obviously it will be more fade-resistant, but did you notice any change in bias? Probably harder to tell with your stiffer-than-stock suspension.

Your pictures have me chomping at the bit to Brembo-fy my car!
    I noticed the bias difference immediately! The car brakes much flatter now, even with the coilovers and other suspension upgrades there was a bit of a nose dive during hard braking, that's been eliminated.

Now it's time to swap the diff and install poly subframe bushings...then I'll be putting all my efforts into the engine build!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    I noticed the bias difference immediately! The car brakes much flatter now, even with the coilovers and other suspension upgrades there was a bit of a nose dive during hard braking, that's been eliminated.

Now it's time to swap the diff and install poly subframe bushings...then I'll be putting all my efforts into the engine build!
    That's good to know! Echoes the effect of the late '95 M5 brake setup, which mainly has less front bias compared to the 540i/M5.

The subframe bushings are fun, I look forward to watching your progress moving forward.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '91 M5
    Excellent picture. Calypsorot is so good.
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Just logged in to see how things were going, progress looks amazing. You're doing everything I thought this car deserved.

So glad she went to you and not some hooligan.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast