Thread: My Calypsorot 540/6 Thread

My Cars
    92 M5
    The M fabric custom I take it? Not OE?

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
    The M fabric custom I take it? Not OE?
    Yeah, reproduction M8 fabric from ASC Fabrics.
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    E34 530i E83 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by UnrulyGrace View Post
    New tires after properly sending off the old ones.

I went up from a 265 to a 275 with 12mm spacers. Love the fitment!

https://youtu.be/-wQZ-N5rA6E

New tires by Jason Grace, on Flickr

What size are the wheels and tires on this set up?

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by E34POPE View Post
    What size are the wheels and tires on this set up?
    Those were staggered M-Parallels with 275/35 and 245/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    '02 Corolla/'89 Volvo 740/'89 325is
    Very interested in the m60b44 dyno numbers!

Ultimate Troll

My Cars
    1994 540i M60B44 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by murda91 View Post
    Very interested in the m60b44 dyno numbers!
    I second this!

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Haven't looked at this thread for a long time. Interior and wheels look incredible, very nice work!
    CBlock

My Cars
    E34 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Eero View Post
    but those wheels quite bad
    More i look, more i like. How funny.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
    So no more burnouts?

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Car went under some extensive work over the last couple of months to get prepped for the turbo build. Castro Motorsport and Turbo Joe Tuned spent countless hours perfecting the Haltech 2500 elite ecu, Racepak digital cluster, custom wire harness, and 4" intake. The car feels incredible and is making pretty good power for the NA setup.

Untitled by Jason Grace, on Flickr

Jason Grace

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Wow, its been a while since I updated this thread...prior to the car going to Castro Motorsport, I replaced the CATuned coilovers with Ground Controls. Cleaned the wheel wells thoroughly while everything was apart. Also, I had an OEM windshield and trim installed since the original was so pitted.

Jason Grace

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    So so clean.

Glad to see you posting again! I saw you featured on Castros Insta, and was wondering where you’d gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Not enough
    Such a well sorted e34... I wondered if you had snapped some photos during the GC install. The GC powdercoat red looks really good too. So excited to get GC's system on my old e34, appreciate the help with pointing me in the right direction.
    They call me Spaz
    -1990 535i/5 with some stuff ----->M30 Turbo Build
    -1996 328i sedan (S-52'd) 5-speed ----------> Refurbish Project (Wife's new DD) ---> (S52-swap)

My Cars
    E34 -> E36 -> E90
    Absolutely incredible build thread, Jason. You’ve done every single mod/maintenance that I plan on doing so this thread has been invaluable to me. Are you old CA Tuned coilovers spoken for? If not I’m quite interested.

/M3/4/5

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by jdrbling325IS View Post
    Absolutely incredible build thread, Jason. You’ve done every single mod/maintenance that I plan on doing so this thread has been invaluable to me. Are you old CA Tuned coilovers spoken for? If not I’m quite interested.
    I'm just now seeing this for the first time, so sorry for the lack of response on my end, but I really appreciate your feedback! My CA Tuned coilovers are now on MattyMatt's ACS 540/6 wagon...
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Latest update on the car, and some recent work done:

Resealed the differential, replaced the transmission mounts with RevShift green mounts (drove it for 2 days before switching back to OEM rubber mounts, the NVH was unbearable) and replaced the failing alternator with a new, Bosch unit.

Also, the guys at PROTOMACHINE, Riley Stair and Mike Burroughs tackled a unique project of converting my power steering system to -AN, braided lines, new pump, a Chase Bays triple baffled reservoir, and a higher capacity CSF cooler. I was so over the stock system sweating, and leaking even after replacing everything with factory fresh parts. They blew away my expectations, and now we are one step closer to fabricating the turbo and fuel system.

P/S Conversion by Jason Grace, on Flickr

Power steering conversion by Jason Grace, on Flickr

Jason Grace

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Awesome update Jason! I feel that all 540i owners (myself included) need this PS system overhaul with braided lines. Curious on parts/info as a package to try and tackle later down the long list of E34-to-do's.

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by JThomp33 View Post
    Awesome update Jason! I feel that all 540i owners (myself included) need this PS system overhaul with braided lines. Curious on parts/info as a package to try and tackle later down the long list of E34-to-do's.
    Likewise, it'll also apply to the E38 and e39 crowds as well.
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    How did I miss this thread before?! Wow, what a build. This car has had more effort put into it in five years by one owner than most OE car designs get from their manufacturers' engineering teams. Seriously thorough and impressive. I'm going to go open some wine and read all 15 pages.

There's something not right about how much I enjoy looking at those wheelwells, what with their cleanliness, coilovers, brakes, stud conversion, and background hints of much more.

I understand it's functional, but the esthetics of that gauge screen are... not up to the rest of the car's standards. Since you went with a custom solution and ditched the CCM display, why not a custom cluster of analog gauges? Or does it show some things that a clock just can't?
    Last edited by moroza; 02-02-2020 at 02:26 AM.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    How did I miss this thread before?! Wow, what a build. This car has had more effort put into it in five years by one owner than most OE car designs get from their manufacturers' engineering teams. Seriously thorough and impressive. I'm going to go open some wine and read all 15 pages.

There's something not right about how much I enjoy looking at those wheelwells, what with their cleanliness, coilovers, brakes, stud conversion, and background hints of much more.

I understand it's functional, but the esthetics of that gauge screen are... not up to the rest of the car's standards. Since you went with a custom solution and ditched the CCM display, why not a custom cluster of analog gauges? Or does it show some things that a clock just can't?

Appreciate the kind words Moroza, lots of time and thought put into this build so far. As for the display, it was soley based on functionality, especially getting everything ready for boost. I’ll be upgrading to Haltech’s newest, full color display very soon and I think that will tie into the overall aesthetic much better.
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by JThomp33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabreslight View Post
    Likewise, it'll also apply to the E38 and e39 crowds as well.
    This project took a good amount of fabrication and custom lines to make it work. The only off the shelf parts are the reservoir and the CSF cooler. They had the high pressure line made, and converted the steering box and pump to accept the -AN fittings. I’ll ask them if they are willing to reproduce the kit and I’ll get back to you.
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    This project took a good amount of fabrication and custom lines to make it work. The only off the shelf parts are the reservoir and the CSF cooler. They had the high pressure line made, and converted the steering box and pump to accept the -AN fittings. I’ll ask them if they are willing to reproduce the kit and I’ll get back to you.
    Badass, it's something that I've been wanting to do since I got my car, and like you I replaced practically everything and the girl still leaks. But like you said the lines take some creativity to convert.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    93BMW 525i/95 BMW 540i/6
    Jason,

Keep me updated, if they reprocuce the power steering kit.
    USC Ralph - Long Beach, CA USA
    1989 E34 White 525i (M20) 310,000m (Sold)
    1993 E34 Black 525i (M50) 308,955m
    1995 E34 Calypso Red 540i/6 (M60) 201,254m
    1993 E34 Black 525iT (M50) 138,500m

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    What PS fluid are you running?

My Cars
    BMW
    That is awesome. The shop I service my car at replaced the hoses w/ aftermarket stuff that doesn't leak and sweat like OE years ago for me.

I haven't had to top off fluid since.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    What PS fluid are you running?
    Lucas ATF.
    Jason Grace

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast