Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: My Calypsorot 540/6 Thread

My Cars
    BMW 850
    How is that lighter flywheel?
    I have been thinking about a lighter flywheel for my CSI

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    Don't know how I missed this thread all these years. Good meeting you yesterday. Man I wish I'd have read this thread before I saw the car in person so I could better appreciate all of the work that's been done. Of course I would've just been distracted by the paint condition, truly amazing. None of my E34s have any clear coat on the roof.
    Tommy L.

(
    oOO \ (IIII) (IIII) / OOo)

-o- (##########) -o-

2001 BMW M5 LMB
    LHD Euro
    Bilstein PSS, Black Kidneys, Dinan Rear Anti-sway Bar, Matte Black Style 65, UUC SSK w/DSSR, Alpine iLX-007, Alpine MRV-F 340 Amp, Boston Acoustics Pro components, Alpine MRP-M450 Amp, Infinity Kappa 102.7W Sub x2

Current Garage:

1993 BMW M5
    1994 BMW 525i Touring 5spd
    2004 Ford SVT Lightning

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    How is that lighter flywheel?
    I have been thinking about a lighter flywheel for my CSI
    Its amazing, completely transforms the car. Highly recommend it while you're in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin025 View Post
    Don't know how I missed this thread all these years. Good meeting you yesterday. Man I wish I'd have read this thread before I saw the car in person so I could better appreciate all of the work that's been done. Of course I would've just been distracted by the paint condition, truly amazing. None of my E34s have any clear coat on the roof.
    Great meeting you Tommy! Lots to add to this thread, and a lot more coming!
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Bimmerfest was this past weekend, and leading up to the event I was busy with a few car projects.

I had a spare set of trim painted satin black, and ordered new clips and grommets for the job.
    Each side calls for:
    8 plastic clips - 51131924953
    1 grommet - 51131928778
    1 insert - 51138102952
    2 grommets - 51131870459

Trevor has the best videos on YouTube showing proper removal and replacement of everything, so it all went smoothly.

IMG_2122 by Jason Grace, on Flickr

Picked up some M-Sport door sills to replace the M5 ones I had in it, stoked to have found these finally!

I also replaced the headlight grills, and center grill section, what a difference.

Lastly, picked up a set of Hella smoked smileys, and we are working on a D2S retrofit to have the best lighting possible. My current TSX retrofitted smileys are one of my favorite modifications and make night driving a completely different experience. Cannot wait for these to be finished!

Jason Grace

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Ever since installing the freshly built M60B44, I've been chasing intermittent lifter tick along with the timing chain contacting the valve cover due to lack of tension. I tore the the passenger side top end apart and replaced 3 soft lifters, retimed the cams, and the symptoms persisted. After much deliberation and troubleshooting, I figured I'd swap the oil pump since that was the last component that wasn't replaced with a new unit.

Chasing the Tick by Jason Grace, on Flickr

When I pulled the lower pan I immediately noticed way too much slack in the chain (problem #1)

Once I got the pump off, I noticed one of the oil pipes was not even installed! (problem #2)

I sourced the only oil pipe on the west coast and thankfully it was within driving distance, so I picked it up along with new o-rings and put it all back together. Setting the chain deflection at +/- 10mm. Put in fresh oil, and started driving. All lifter noise is gone, and the chain tension seems to be on point. I'll continue to monitor, but it seems the issues have finally been resolved!

Now on to the fun stuff! Mark D'Sylva sent me the Innovate LM-2 so I can start data logging and he is going to dial in the tune for me.

IMG_3472 by Jason Grace, on Flickr

I also picked up a TRE 255 lph fuel pump I'll install soon.

Upgrades by Jason Grace, on Flickr

Lots of work to do before Drive 4 Corners in late August.

Caution by Jason Grace, on Flickr
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Lots of work but so much done! I think you'll be good with the oiling issues, but fingers crossed brotha.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    Fives
    Beautiful car, my man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I can't speculate on what would cause the POOP alarm, but I would recommend pulling over immediately.

Specialization is for insects

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneezy View Post
    Beautiful car, my man.
    Thank you!

So, the Kenwood deck that was in the car when I purchased it, died. Installed another Kenwood deck, the Excelon KDC-X702. I'm no audiophile, but I really like it, especially the addition of Bluetooth. I mounted the microphone flush, in a blank panel, and so far, so good.

IMG_0035 by Jason Grace, on Flickr

Jason Grace

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    The Kenwood are not bad and with most u can change the text colour to orange so it doesn’t stand out like an erection in tracksuit pants.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    2001 750iL
    Beautiful paint on that! I think that is the best e34 color around.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the part number for the snap-on tools set you used in the pic with your front grills?

Lastly, I don't mean to be a downer but I would keep an eye on that fuel pump. I had one in my 540i that only lasted 5-6 months.
    2005 X5 4.8is (DD winter) * 2001 750iL (DD summer) * 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 L <> 2005 X5 3.0 * 2003 X5 4.4i * 2009 X3 3.0 * 2009 X5 3.0 * 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by absolutezero273 View Post
    Beautiful paint on that! I think that is the best e34 color around.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the part number for the snap-on tools set you used in the pic with your front grills?

Lastly, I don't mean to be a downer but I would keep an eye on that fuel pump. I had one in my 540i that only lasted 5-6 months.
    Thank you! I've grown to love Calypsorot! I'm not sure what the part number is for those Snap-On tools, next time I'm at the shop I'll take a look.

Installed the TRE 255lph fuel pump, and I feel like it made a difference, especially in the upper rpm range. Didn't take any progress pictures, because this DIY is that good! - https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...eplacement-DIY

A long awaited and anticipated upgrade is finally here, and I got around to the install this evening. We partnered with Squared Motorwerks in Austin, TX to retrofit the Morimoto D2S 4.0 projectors into some brand new Hella smoked smilies. J.T. did an amazing job, and we will be working together to make similar kits available to everyone looking to have the very best for their E34.

Hella Smoke Smiley Retrofit by Jason Grace, on Flickr

These projectors are outstanding, and they feature internal shields that can be electronically activated to act as a high beam. So bright, just had to tap into the high beam wiring.

I absolutely love the sinister look of the smoked Hellas, ties in all of the shadowline trim I installed prior to Bimmerfest.

Low Beam cut off (Still need to adjust more) -

High Beam output -

Heading out tomorrow night with my pup to Drive 4 Corners. Heading over to Flagstaff, AZ and up to Horseshoe Bend before heading east to Durango. Going to be an amazing roadtrip.
    Last edited by UnrulyGrace; 08-22-2018 at 02:53 AM.
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    E34, E30, LC, VP44, CJ7
    Excellent work! That front end looks absolutely perfect.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Man I would want that lighting for the e31

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Man I would want that lighting for the e31

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    I used JT's Mini H1 kit in my Hellas. Loved it. I wired it up to have quad high beams as well, it lights up the road at night like no other car. Top notch. Just watch out for the Morimoto ballasts, I went through three in six months when I first installed the kit. Thankfully the fourth has held up a year now.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by tantumaude View Post
    I used JT's Mini H1 kit in my Hellas. Loved it. I wired it up to have quad high beams as well, it lights up the road at night like no other car. Top notch. Just watch out for the Morimoto ballasts, I went through three in six months when I first installed the kit. Thankfully the fourth has held up a year now.
    Maybe I'm lucky, because the only 2 sets of Morimoto ballasts I've ever had, never failed including the set on the car now that I've had for almost 4 years.

A few minor updates:

The night before I left on a 800+ mile road trip to Purgatory Ski Resort for the 8th Annual Drive 4 Corners, (our first Angry Ass Solutions sponsored event!) I heard a rattle from the exhaust and the car was running sluggish. My guess was a cat was coming apart and clogging the exhaust, so I went to my friend's exhaust shop and convinced him to cut the cats out to check, and there was a chunk stuck in the resonator, completely blocking the drivers bank flow. He didn't have any high flow cats in stock and I didn't have time to wait so, I decided to put a x-pipe in place of the cats.

IMG_0118 by Jason Grace, on Flickr

The modification completely changed the sound (expected) and the car loves the freed up flow, especially up top. Approximately 2,000 miles of driving later, I'm home and the car ran flawlessly. A little sluggish at 10,000ft, but nevertheless a great trip. Even ran a E39 M5 w/ 374rwhp 348rwtq from 60-120 and he only had me by a car length. I know E34s are lighter, but I was even loaded up with my dog, and an extra 150+ pounds of stuff.

IMG_0118 by Jason Grace, on Flickr

IMG_0235 by Jason Grace, on Flickr

IMG_0235 by Jason Grace, on Flickr
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    2004 R32, 2011 A4 Avant
    Quote Originally Posted by UnrulyGrace View Post
    That color in the sun. Man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    540i
    After running the new motor for a few months, what are your predictions for dyno numbers once tuned properly?

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithd View Post
    After running the new motor for a few months, what are your predictions for dyno numbers once tuned properly?
    I hate making dyno predictions, always disappointment at the end. Car feels really strong, and I think theres a decent amount left in the tune, so we will see. I'll be participating at JMP's dyno day next month.

FINALLY!!!!

IMG_0397 by Jason Grace, on Flickr

Jason Grace

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Testing fitment - might have to go a little less aggressive on the rear lip to fit as wide of a tire as I want to run...

Fitment testing by Jason Grace, on Flickr

Jason Grace

My Cars
    E34, E30, 240sx
    Man, that looks great.

Did you have any issues with the TRE fuel pump? I had mine for a year but have issues once in a while with the pressure line slipping off the fuel pump. I think its because I have a SAE new fuel line instead of the metric one.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by struka View Post
    Man, that looks great.

Did you have any issues with the TRE fuel pump? I had mine for a year but have issues once in a while with the pressure line slipping off the fuel pump. I think its because I have a SAE new fuel line instead of the metric one.
    Thank you, its all coming together!

No issues at all so far with the pump.
    Jason Grace

My Cars
    1985 535i, 1980 635CSi
    Hi Jason, glad you could join for D4C, you car was looking real nice! Finally got some photos on the website if you didn't already see. I'll need you address to ship your 2018 event tee btw. PM if possible.

In case you missed it, your cross pipe got captured in the highlight video!! Part of the reason I went turbo on my e28 was so I wouldn't quite lose as much power up in the mountains.

My Cars
    e34 525, s52 1993skyline
    what are your planes for the old wheels?

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan36 View Post
    what are your planes for the old wheels?
    Going to refinish them in BMW light silver, same color that the late model E34 M5s came with.
    Jason Grace

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast