Thread: BMW "Frozen" paint...

My Cars
    2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S

BMW "Frozen" paint...

Question on the BMW Frozen or Matte finishes. I hear very high maintenance. Like don't even think of scratching the surface or all hell will break lose.

Worth it? They look awesome.

My Cars
    z3
    Cars with frozen paint are destined to be garage queens.

I like the matte look but would NEVER get matte paint. Vinyl wrap is the best option for the matte look. If the paint underneath is in good shape they make a clear matte film to wrap a car in which is a nice option as well as wraps will never get the depth of a real paint, so a metallic paint with a clear matte film on top is the best of both worlds imo.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Look cool. But how due you even wash the thing ? Let alone wax it.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    By hand.

And, you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    So you never wash a car with a frozen paint?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Wash it, don't scratch it.

Never wax it.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Wash it, don't scratch it.

Never wax it.
    This is why this matte paint fad needs to end; if safety weren't a factor it would be even more ridiculous than extremely low cars on oversized wheels with stretched tires.

Who buys a car that you can't even properly wash?! What's next, furry finishes? At least those might be able to be properly cleaned...

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    Quote Originally Posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
    This is why this matte paint fad needs to end; if safety weren't a factor it would be even more ridiculous than extremely low cars on oversized wheels with stretched tires.

Who buys a car that you can't even properly wash?! What's next, furry finishes? At least those might be able to be properly cleaned...
    I would argue that car paint in general is a ridiculous proposition. Cars live outside, get shit on by birds, withstand all kinds of weather, get parked in tight parking lots with inconsiderate drivers, and even get crashed into on a somewhat regular basis. To put an incredibly fragile, glass-finish paint surface on them - one that many owners don't even want to touch with their own fingers - is silly.

Don't get me wrong, I love a beautifully painted and detailed car. But when you actually think about it, it doesn't make any more sense than a matte (or fur) finish.

I actually think Saturn had the right idea with their pre-painted, easily replaceable, dent proof panels.
    Last edited by KevRC4130; 05-10-2015 at 10:03 AM.

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by KevRC4130 View Post
    I would argue that car paint in general is a ridiculous proposition. Cars live outside, get shit on by birds, withstand all kinds of weather, get parked in tight parking lots with inconsiderate drivers, and even get crashed into on a somewhat regular basis. To put an incredibly fragile, glass-finish paint surface on them - one that many owners don't even want to touch with their own fingers - is silly.
    Enamel paint is a very durable surface treatment that offers outstanding wear and corrosion resistance. Take a look at one of the thousands of serious detailing threads that have been posted in various forums - a skilled detailer can restore paint that looks completely shot to the point where it looks nearly new to most people.

If I could find a surface treatment that would withstand inconsiderate drivers and crashes, I'd buy it, but that's asking a lot.

Edit: Your car looks terrific, by the way! I'm off to search for a thread you've posted about it...

Another edit: Holy crap you're a funny bastard with a ton of started threads! Would you mind just pointing me to the one that actually details your car?
    Last edited by Shock(/\)ave; 05-10-2015 at 04:18 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Bed liner is a great solution. Do the whole car and never have to worry about washing/waxing/polishing.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterHall View Post
    Bed liner is a great solution. Do the whole car and never have to worry about washing/waxing/polishing.

... or dating anyone with a full set of teeth.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    ... or dating anyone with a full set of teeth.
    .... and braces.

My Cars
    2011 535i; 2007 E & 5
    Hi guys. I am looking to pick up a car in Frozen matte paint. I see a lot of random comments from people with their $0.02, but was just wondering if anyone actually OWNS a care with matte paint...and if so, what are your suggestions & advice for maintenance and upkeep. Anything special I should know or be aware of that's different from regular paint?
    **'11 BMW 535i: black sapphire w/cinnamon leather, Night Vision, Active Cruise, Premium 2, Sport Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg, Dynamic Handling, PDC w/Parking Assistant, 4-Zone Climate, Cooled Seats, Rear Cam, Prem HiFi, Soft Close Doors

**'07 E550: iridium silver, P2, pwr trunk, Sport Pkg, VC, wood steering, 4Matic

**'05 C230 Kompressor: silver metallic.....Deceased.

**'98 C230: black onyx.....Sold.

**'03 BMW 525i: sterling grey.....Sold.

**'07 BMW 530xi: grey metallic.....Sold.

**'02 MB E430: dark turquoise