View Poll Results: Is SMG an A/T or not?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 30.32%
  • No

108 69.68%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is SMG an auto or not?

My Cars
    No BMW for now

Is SMG an auto or not?

Ok, this is coming based off another thread going in the OT section right now and I thought we could all settle this with a poll.

So, do you consider SMG to be an automatic with the capability to do some *spirited* driving, or do you believe it is not considered an automatic because of things like the fact it doesn't have a torque convertor and that it rev matches where normal A/T do not?

Personally I believe that since it's purpose mainly is to "automatically" shift the car from one gear to another that makes it an automatic ...with some cool features.

What are your opinions?

My Cars
    No BMW for now
    Bah! I guess this could be considered OT as well, so I won't object if it's towed there.

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    you have all the benefits of a manual, its just controlled by the computer. I consider it a separate class though: auto, manual, and SMG.

My Cars
    E30
    its an independant identity but it is a Sequential MANUAL Gearbox

My Cars
    '92 Honda Civic VX
    I told you it's a MANUAL Dustin!

My Cars
    No BMW for now
    It might be Sequential MANUAL Gearing, but it AUTOMATICALLY shifts for you.

My Cars
    E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacramento M3
    It might be Sequential MANUAL Gearing, but it AUTOMATICALLY shifts for you.

It doesn't. The user has complete control over gear changes in sequential mode. Rev it up to redline and it will bounce off the limiter all day until the user initiates the shift.

Drive one and verify for yourself.
    "To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die"
    -Carl Sagan

My Cars
    E30
    umm.....no it doesnt....you still need to hit the paddle or the stubby stick for it to shift. If you NEVER touched the paddles or stubb and could still go, for instance, on the highway - then youve got an auto, BUT YOU CANT! You must hit one or the other to go on the highway. (all based on when you are in sequential mode)
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1995 m3, ninja 500r
    There is no need for a poll. It's a fricken manual transmission with the clutch acutated by a computer. The user still intiates the gear change.

My Cars
    No BMW for now
    According to Pepe there are two modes.

Mode 1: It will shift for you

Mode 2: You can shift yourself via the paddles

However, he couldn't answer, maybe someone can, a question I had. If you are be-boppin a long in 4th gear at 100mph and want to shift down to 3rd, but it would cause an over rev, will it *listen* to you and shift anyways, or will it be like current A/T and go "hell no bitch that's an over rev and I'm not budging" ??

My Cars
    1995 m3, ninja 500r
    It will still let you down shift, but will rev-match so you don't over-rev, i believe

My Cars
    '92 Honda Civic VX
    There's no torque convertor so it can't be an automatic.

Torque convertors are the cornerstone of what an automatic transmission has.

My Cars
    E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacramento M3
    According to Pepe there are two modes.

Mode 1: It will shift for you

Mode 2: You can shift yourself via the paddles

However, he couldn't answer, maybe someone can, a question I had. If you are be-boppin a long in 4th gear at 100mph and want to shift down to 3rd, but it would cause an over rev, will it *listen* to you and shift anyways, or will it be like current A/T and go "hell no bitch that's an over rev and I'm not budging" ??

Why is Pepe the authority in SMG all of a sudden?

SMG II found on E46 M3s will not allow harmful over-rev gear downshifts.

Other than that it operates the same as a conventional manual with the added features of launch control, throttle blipping, rev matching, configurable shift speed etc..
    "To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die"
    -Carl Sagan

My Cars
    '92 Honda Civic VX
    Quote Originally Posted by dallasbboy
    Why is Pepe the authority in SMG all of a sudden?
    I'm not, we were merely having a discussion over SMG. Lighten up :

My Cars
    No BMW for now
    Where!? Who!? What!?.... *looks around for person who said Pepe was authority on SMG*

Nope I don't see him/her. Now onto matters of people putting words in other peoples mouths. I suggest you don't with me.

I said "according to Pepe" this implies I had a conversation with him and from what I found out....etc.

Now I accept entirely that he could be wrong. However, from previous conversations I've had with him what I've found is that he has quite a good knowledge of cars and their technologies.

And....ok. That's what I wanted to find out is if it tries to do any of the *thinking* in the process or if it will actually let you downshift even though there might be only 300rpms left of movement in that gear. If so, I think it's pretty cool. However, I think if it DOES have a mode where it will automatically shift for you then it's still somewhat of an automatic, just different design. There is no saying you can't improve a technology and make something that once seemed crappy much much better.

As you guys have stated though, I'm now starting to lean towards it being in it's own class.

My Cars
    none
    IMO i think if there isn't 3 peddels (sp) it isn't a manual.....can you roll backwards on a hill with an SMG?? i always wondered that

My Cars
    1996 Mustang Cobra
    Flame if you want...but SMG is an auto...only people who think its a manual owns an auto...SMG is for people who cant drive a stick, or are too lazy. If I wanted to pretend I had a manual transmission in my car when all I wanted to do was move a stick up and down...I'd go to an arcade and play Cruisin' USA or Cruisin' World. The End.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    If you are on a hill... SMG will roll backwards as the clutch is engaged just like a traditional manual gearbox car.

SMG will not allow you to overrev.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    97 Mazda Millenia
    Quote Originally Posted by MPOWR95
    Flame if you want...but SMG is an auto...only people who think its a manual owns an auto...SMG is for people who cant drive a stick, or are too lazy. If I wanted to pretend I had a manual transmission in my car when all I wanted to do was move a stick up and down...I'd go to an arcade and play Cruisin' USA or Cruisin' World. The End.
    Then I guess professional F1 drivers must all be lazy SOBs, because they all use an SMG-style system. I mean God forbid someone actually have both their hands on the wheel in a hairpin turn at high speeds ...

My Cars
    M3 + Duc
    WTF???? All you fags who thinks an smg is an auto should go and test drive one. It is anything but an auto. So basically you guys think that there is no difference between the steptronic tranny and the smg since you think they are both auto's??

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by MPOWR95
    Very closed minded ...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    00 sc Roadie
    Can someone who has SMG describe shifting with it?

Are there only 2 pedals? Can you put it in an auto mode? Is the 'clutch' operated by the steering wheel paddles?
    Some ladies like a hand-held. I prefer to drive mine.

My Cars
    I don't understand why the poll is there. The result of the poll isn't going to change the reality of the fact that the SMG is NOT an auto... You think Christopher Columbus took a poll before he set sail?

My Cars
    '98 328i

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Well im not sure if you can put it in auto mode (even tho some ppl on this thread said you could so im not sure) but my buddy has a 04 M3 SMG II and as far as I saw there is 2 pedels and the clutch is auto whenever you shift the stick or the little paddles on the wheel

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast