Thread: ABS light just came on, how to clean wheel speed sensors?

My Cars
    96 328is, 99 540i

ABS light just came on, how to clean wheel speed sensors?

My ABS light just came on as I was driving normally, I tested it by braking harder than usual and ABS didn't work and the wheels just locked up!

Anyone know how to clean the wheel speed sensors?

My Cars
    What makes you think they are malfunctioning due to being dirty? Have someone scan the ABS for a code to see what the failure is.

My Cars
    96 328is, 99 540i
    I don't know anybody with a code reader!
    Is it that hard to clean them? I thought it would be worth a shot unless it's really hard and complicated to do.

My Cars
    Get some contact cleaner and spray them.

My Cars
    94 318is
    Here's what I did just yesterday.

Remove the ABS sensor from the wheel hub. Push a strip of cloth (old towel) into the opening and firmly against the spoked lugs. Use screwdriver to push the cloth in place. Turn wheel hub both directions until nice and clean. Clean end of ABS sensor and re-install.

I would also check each sensor abs sensor resistance w/ good VOM. I used a piece of fine wire to make a "wrap spiral" that I could sleeve over one lead, and then probed the second lead. It's a bit tricky because the sensor prongs are recessed about 1". Resistance should be about 1000 ohms. I got about 1.15kohms on all mine at 95F (it was hot yesterday!). If you get very low resistance (perhaps under 100 ohms) or infinite resistance, the sensor is bad.

good luck
    See you down the ROW