Thread: Install Cruise Control for E32,E34,E36 without the proper factory harness

My Cars
    1989 BMW E34 M20

Install Cruise Control for E32,E34,E36 without the proper factory harness

As the title says, this is the installation of cruise control for the stated models which don't have the proper factory harness for it. The necessary stuff consists of cruise control ECU module, the ACTUATOR and the stalk which goes beneath the wiper stalk. All these components must be from the same year, and it doesn't matter if it comes from the e36, e34 or e32 but you can't combine something from these three, thus, you can't combine the stalk from the e34 with the actuator from the e36. Everything must be taken from the same car. Today, I installed the cruise control into an e34 M20. I included the diagrams with the pictures, so if anyone needs any further info I'm willing to share. This device to function correctly uses the signal from the dashboard for the speed, and the signals from the clutch switch and break switch for its deactivation. I was out of luck to find the proper harness, so I had to retrofit my own harness, wire by wire to the connectors which you can see on the pictures.

Last edited by marko84; 04-26-2015 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Mistake

My Cars
    Bmw e34 520i M20B20
    Hi how are you? I know it's an old post from several years ago, but it serves as a reference because I want to do the same with an e34 M20B20 that I acquired a few days ago. I would like to know if you still have the complete diagram for the connection of the same, and if you have photos of the installation process. thank you!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Wiring diagrams (for the US market, but it's mostly the same) can be found here.

One interesting thing I noticed is that the cruise control doesn't talk to either the engine or trans computer; as long as it gets a speed signal from the diff, it's agnostic about what makes the diff turn. Apart from the clutch cancel switch, there's no difference between the auto and manual cruise setups, and if you rig up the cable and actuator, you can have cruise control with any engine/trans swap as long as you keep the E34 diff and speed sensor.