Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5HP24 selector shaft seal leaking - replacement tips

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Just wanted to throw out an update to this. So I replaced the seal on the 5HP24 in my wife's E39. I was able to get the selector switch off without dropping the transmission after removing a heat shield. My E38 required to drop the transmission some.

Second, there is no way that Lisle tool will pull the seal. The diameter of the seal is too small for the hook to get into the seal. I even cut one of the hooks down and it wasn't even remotely helpful until the seal was almost all the way out.

This time I took two 45 degree angle picks and jammed them in cross-wise (right pick jammed in left side of seal, left pick in right side of seal). Then I was able to wiggle side to side to slide the seal right off. Took 100x less effort than when I did this the first time on the E38.

But for those reading this in the future, I would not spend the money on that seal puller for this job. It does work great for other seals of larger size, however.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    I'm about to embark on this project soon and bought 3 seals. Hey Racer, while the transmission is lowered would it be a good time for me to replace the transmission fluid cooler hoses? I have all of the hoses bought and a brand new transmission pan plus gasket and filtran filter as my original pan appears to have cracks. Main thing I'm worried if I change out those hoses and pan is that the older transmission fluid might have better viscosity than my Liqui moly fluid I bought which can lead to slipping? The transmission fluid that is leaking from the cooler pipe looks like a chocolate milkshake color.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I can't speak to the cooler hoses, as I've never had to replace them. They are not under tremendous pressure to leak. Are you sure they are leaking and it's not the pan gasket or an oil leak from the engine blowing onto them? Maybe just the o-ring where it seals to the transmission?

The original ZF fluid is brown in color, not red even when new. As the fluid ages it does get darker brown. In terms of fluid, I would spend the extra money for the ZF fluid. I noticed a difference when I switched back to it, and honestly, it's probably $100 difference for the fluid. As to the viscosity, that's another reason to stick with ZF. If you drain and refill the transmission or exchange the fluid using the cooler lines, you could end up with transmission problems (as I've read on here). I didn't have any issues myself, but it depends on mileage and health of the transmission.
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    Thanks Racer. Yes, I am 100% that it is the cooler line that is leaking as I fixed all of the other leaks you have mentioned and degreased the whole engine diligently in the process. My first leak is from the shaft seal. Second leak is leaking exactly from where two lines enter into the heat exchanger. Kouks mentioned that I should try adjusting the lines but it had minimal results. I already have the lines purchased too. Also, Dion I purchased the tool you recommended!

Maybe I am mistaken, but did BMW recommend Esso LT 71141 for the 5HP24? The Liquimoly I purchased from FCP is the TopTec 1200 which is also wasn’t cheap and said it was compatible. I used it for my power steering overhaul and so far so good but I know this isn’t a transmission. I will probably go ahead and purchase the ZF fluid since you recommend it. Which number fluid did you purchase?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Price shop on the fluid. I bought mine from FCP, so that I can do fluid changes in the future for free. If its not too much more and you're keeping the car, it's probably worth it. I got Lifeguard 5 but it may be Lifeguard 6 now.

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Price shop on the fluid. I bought mine from FCP, so that I can do fluid changes in the future for free. If its not too much more and you're keeping the car, it's probably worth it. I got Lifeguard 5 but it may be Lifeguard 6 now.
    I found it. This one right? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/zf-...t71141#reviews

I also bought the new pan, gasket, and filtran filter. This should be fun.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    That's what I used

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    With some research I found that Valvoline Import ATF specs are just about the same as the ZF fluid.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Despite the fact that some Valvoline may say LT71141 spec, I could tell a noticeable difference in my transmission when I switched back to the ZF fluid. I did not bother the next time and just bought it from FCP, so I can do future oil changes for no cost.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    Despite the fact that some Valvoline may say LT71141 spec, I could tell a noticeable difference in my transmission when I switched back to the ZF fluid. I did not bother the next time and just bought it from FCP, so I can do future oil changes for no cost.
    Yes ZF is the preferred option but my alternative off the shelf is the blue Valvoline Import. Specs attached...

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    Did the shaft seal job. My seal was so disintegrated that it was thinner than factory. The tool that Dion mentioned was super helpful but for my case it did not help due to the fact that the seal was beyond its life. I chiseled it out with a small flathead screwdriver, cleaned it with parts degreaser spray, and then lubed up the seal and inserted it in one try by massaging it through the shaft and into the hole. Used an allen key to press the seal into the hole completely and assembled everything. One less leak. Next up I need to do the transmission mounts next week and then send the E38 to a shop for the transmission pan replacement+fluids+filter. I will try and do the hoses myself once I get the tool to unclip them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123