Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: E39 M5 Clusters (pixels fixed, 0 miles, coded to your car)

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S

E39 M5 Clusters (pixels fixed, 0 miles, coded to your car)

E39 M5 Clusters (pixels fixed, 0 miles, coded to your car)

Hey guys,

I've recently started repairing used clusters and also doing mileage correction and since we recently figured out how to make the oil temp go over CAN and have warm up lights working on 540s and 740s, I bought a bunch of used M5 clusters and am fixing them up to be sold. These are pretty much made to the buyer's request since I can do a few mods/upgrades as well.

So, compatibility. These are working fully on M5s (obviously), E53 X5 4.4i, 4.6is, 4.8is, and 540i(T) and 740i(L) models with M62TU engines (ME7.2 DME) with a tune that is modified to send the correct data over CAN bus. This means you get a fully working oil temp gauge as well as the warm-up lights that used to only work on E39 M5s and E53 X5 4.6/4.8is. Again, the oil temp stuff will not work on older M62 non-TU motors with the ME 5.2 DMEs. You will of course have a functioning cluster otherwise.

These will also work on 525i and 530i, though only the oil temp gauge will work. The nice thing is that this works right out of the box, so you don't have to load a tune on the DME to enable it. The only thing that doesn't work is the warm-up leds that go out as the engine temp goes up to operating temp. You will only have the last yellow and the red leds always lit.

Premium M5 or X5 4.8is Cluster:

So, the clusters I sell are gray face M5 or X5 4.8is clusters with all pixels working and motors working as they should, mileage set to 0 so that it downloads the correct mileage from the LCM, and coding set to your ZCS code default settings. These include the premium pixel repair circuit board replacement as well, so the pixels shouldn't ever fail. When enough people started to complain to BMW that they were getting bad pixels and BMW started to do something about it, they replaced their clusters under either warranty or through a goodwill credit. These replacement clusters had a redesigned ribbon cable that is much more durable and has a physical connector on the PCB, rather than the cable being glued down and having it come unglued in warm temperatures. I have been successful in making hybrid clusters from non-M5 clusters with M5 gauge faces that work exactly like a M5 cluster should, but have this upgraded cable. BMW did make newer type M5 clusters as well, but they don't come up for sale often. The clusters I buy to do this cost more than the regular ones with bad pixels, so the price for these upgraded models is more. These shouldn't ever need pixel repair. LED choice still applies. Picture of the new type cluster's connector is shown at the end of this post.

Please don't ask me to hard code a mileage that isn't your current mileage as this is illegal and I don't want to be involved in doing that. I am doing mileage correction, not adjustment.

Price: $700

Upgrades:

One upgrade I offer is red/orange backlighting instead of yellow. For some strange reason, BMW decided that they wanted yellow illumination of the numbers on their M5 gauges, yet kept red/orange for the LCD display and the rest of the car. Some prefer this, some prefer everything to match the rest of the car. You have the option of which color you want. I don't really mess with other colors than these, because to change the LCD display requires making a plastic diffuser that is a different color and I'm not doing that, but if you want the mismatched colors, I can do some other colors (PM me for details). I have recently added white LEDs as an option and these can be seen below.

Price: +$50

If you have a regular cluster that you just need repaired and mileage corrected on, let me know by PM and I can fix it for you. Prices are as follows: $150 for mileage correction, $50 for LED swaps (with other work) or $100 without other work being done, upgraded motherboards (aka premium upgrade to your current cluster) are $300, and stepper motor repair is $50/motor if getting other work done and $100 for the first if no other work. All these options apply to both M5, non-M5 and even non-e39/e53/e38 clusters such as e46.

All prices include shipping to continental US. Ask about international shipping. PayPal fees are included.

To purchase, please either PM or send me an email to mail@fixels.repair. You can also check out my facebook page at www.facebook.com/Fixels/shop/?ref=page_internal.

Gray Face with White LEDs

Black Face with White LEDs

Black Face with Red LEDs

Gray Face with Yellow LEDs (Stock)

Picture of the new cluster type's connector:

Last edited by blackknight530i; 03-29-2023 at 07:15 PM.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Fantastic work
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryana View Post
    Fantastic work
    Thanks!

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    So, I was recently asked if I could make an "Ultimate M5 Cluster" using a kph cluster and I did some searching. Turns out, yes, I can do it, but the donor black face Euro cluster (all kph, no mph) is roughly $400. That makes the price about another $100 over the US spec one. Also, there are only about 2 donor clusters available and they would need to ship from Germany. If anyone wants them in "Ultimate" form, the cost would be $700+ or so depending on the sale price of the donor cluster. Talk about Uber rare.

-Paul

My Cars
    2003 M5, E93 335i/6
    Do the amber lights reflect the factory redline of the M62TU?
    -Chris

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
    Do the amber lights reflect the factory redline of the M62TU?
    Not really, they are to let you know the oil temperature and when the engine is warmed up. They don't actually represent a Rev limiter at all.

-Paul

My Cars
    2003 M5, E93 335i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Not really, they are to let you know the oil temperature and when the engine is warmed up. They don't actually represent a Rev limiter at all.
    Just to clarify, I will still need to flash my ME7.2 with Terra's updated software.. Correct?
    -Chris

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
    Just to clarify, I will still need to flash my ME7.2 with Terra's updated software.. Correct?
    Yes.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I'm putting out a request for 2000 M5 clusters. I don't care about whether they work or if the pixels are completely gone, I just need them. If anyone has one they want to sell, please let me know by PM.

Thanks!

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Just wanted to bump this. Also, I posted in the m5board thread, but I'll post it here as well. I'm trying to get a vendor to make some identical black m5 gauge faces, but I wanted to get a good idea of how many people were interested before making the minimum order of 20. These would just allow me to replace the gray faces with black on a M5 cluster or X5 4.6is/4.8is cluster. The point is that the 2000 M5 clusters are getting rarer and rarer and eventually they won't be able to be found anymore, so I want to still be able to offer Ultimate M5 Clusters. These should be identical to the original, but I have yet to get confirmation from the vendor that they can do them. It's an expensive proposition for me to order the minimum order if I've already sold all the Ultimate clusters I'm going to sell, which is why I'd like your input. The price for the clusters would be $600 for the Ultimate M5 Cluster (Same as it was before, just wouldn't be going up due to rarity of the cluster), but I would also be able to offer it as an upgrade to either your current M5/X5is cluster for $200 or to a basic cluster sold here.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Bump. Still have a bunch of grey faced clusters in both Basic and Premium types.

-Paul

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30

e39, 530i, SC TS2+, 5 speed manual....
    thanks bro!!! everything works perfect!!!!!!!
    great product and thank you so much for doing this to the e39 community

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post

e39, 530i, SC TS2+, 5 speed manual....
    thanks bro!!! everything works perfect!!!!!!!
    great product and thank you so much for doing this to the e39 community
    Excellent! So happy for you dude. It looks great in your car!

-Paul

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    I just received a black face M5 cluster after Paul had worked on it; it received a new LCD screen and ribbon and EEPROM with VIN and mileage matched to my car. I also had Paul change my LED from the M5 yellow to amber. I'm very pleased with Paul's work. The new cluster works and looks great. If you need cluster work done, Paul is your guy.

Thanks much Paul.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    I just received a black face M5 cluster after Paul had worked on it; it received a new LCD screen and ribbon and EEPROM with VIN and mileage matched to my car. I also had Paul change my LED from the M5 yellow to amber. I'm very pleased with Paul's work. The new cluster works and looks great. If you need cluster work done, Paul is your guy.

Thanks much Paul.
    You're very welcome. I'm very happy that you now have it just the way you wanted

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Bumping this thread. Still have a bunch of M5 clusters ready for you guys to put in your 530i/540i/M5/740i.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Good news guys! My vendor is starting to manufacture brand new black gauge faces for the M5 clusters. He says they will be about 4-5 weeks to produce, so after that I should be able to offer what I'm now calling the "Black Knight Edition" M5 clusters. They will look identical to the ones in the first pictures in this thread. They will cost $650 for the upgrade using the premium cluster as a base, but now I can offer this upgrade to the standard cluster as well for $550 with yellow LEDs or $600 with the red/orange LED swap as well. Let me know if you're interested. I've got an initial order of 20 gauge faces, but I can order more if I need more in the future. I'm really excited about this guys! I'm sure you will be as well!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, another thing in the works is LED changing to different colors. The reason that this hasn't been offered before is that I figured it would be weird having something like blue or white lettering and needles, but having orange in the LCD section. Now I am waiting to get a quote for getting the orange film behind the LCD changed to match the colors of the LEDs. For people that are doing an entire interior LED swap (window switches, A/C, etc.), these would allow you to make everything match. I am still not sure how much these will cost yet, so stay tuned for pricing, but at least let me know if you're interested in this option and what colors so I can get an idea of what to ask for.
    Last edited by blackknight530i; 03-30-2016 at 11:36 AM.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I have some more good news in regards to the black gauge faces. I just got the proof from my vendor and it is a spot on exact match to the original black faces. I have told him that I'm ready to proceed with the making of them, so hopefully he'll let me know today how much longer we all will have to wait before we can get these in. Also, please post whether or not you'd be interested in a version of these made with the MPG gauge instead of oil temp, for those that either just want that instead, or for those with pre-vanos engines that can't have the oil temp gauge working for them. This would also apply to 528i owners I think, since I'm pretty sure they also didn't have oil temp signals sent over CAN. I can't guarantee that they will be made, but if I can get even 15 or so that want that, I'll get them made. The same goes to people that either only want kph or only Mph. If enough people want them that way, I'm sure I could probably get them done.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Here's another update on the black faces for those holding out for them. I just got a call from my vendor today and they say they'll have some to ship out tomorrow. They also had a X5 4.6is in the office that they were going to test my new faces on to make sure they would be the same as the original. I don't know about you guys, but this is pretty exciting news to me. I won't officially take orders until after I get them in and see them for myself, but if you have expressed interest in these before and are still interested, please PM me and let me know so I have an idea how many will be needed in the first batch. I know several people had said they wanted the black ones when they were ready, but it's awfully hard to go back through all the PMs on bf.c and M5board as well as the e-mails to see who all was serious about it, so letting me know again will really help.

Again, the Black Knight Edition cluster will look like the one in the beginning of this thread, though it will have yellow LEDs unless you opt for the red/orange ones like the picture. I will post some new photos once I get one made with the new faces.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Ok, so I know there hasn't been an update in a while, but I received the first batch of gauge faces and there were some issues with them, but the vendor is working on correcting those issues and I hope to have the new batch soon. Basically, the main issue was that they were cut about 1/16" too low, so things weren't centered as they should have been. There was also an issue of everything being a bit too large (scale wasn't quite right), so I'm hoping to get that corrected as well. I'm being a bit nit-picky because I know you guys would be and I want to offer as close to the original 2000 M5 cluster faces as I can. I think if they get the few issues I had with them resolved, they will be really top notch.

Now I'm just not sure what to do with the first batch of faces. I might be able to put them on non-M5 gauges since they don't have the warm-up lights, which had a bit of light-bleed due to the printing being too large, so they would be fine. I could code the non-M5 cluster to be a M5 cluster (gauges would be accurate to the faces including working oil temp gauge), just wouldn't have the warm-up lights. PM me if you're interested in this. I can do about 15 or so of these if anyone wants. They'll be discounted from the M5 cluster price, but the base price would be based on which non-m5 cluster you want (standard or premium). I'll post some pics of them in a bit so you can decide if you want one.

Anyways, that's the update as of now.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some pics of the first batch faces on a non-M5 gauge cluster. Needles haven't been fully calibrated, so disregard the readings on them. I just put them on there to show what it would look like.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Ok guys, here's a contest for you!

Below are pictures of two Black Knight Edition Clusters. One is an original OE M5 black gauge face, and the other is my new top quality reproduction. Tell me by PM which one you think is the real M5 gauge faces and which is the reproduction and be specific as to why. The first 10 to get it right will get $20 off one of the reproduction Black Knight Edition Clusters.

Contest ends on September 10, 2015 at 12:01 AM EDT.

1st Cluster:

2nd Cluster:

Click the images to view them in larger sizes.

I'm happy to announce that these are finally available. I have 18 available in the first batch since I'm using 2 for my own

Good luck guys!

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Keep in mind everyone, the top picture was taken a bit closer than the bottom. When I took them, I hadn't yet decided to do the contest. I'll take a couple better shots that are at the same angle and distance. Hopefully that will help.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that I updated the pricing on the Black Knight Edition Clusters. The new price is $600 for the reproduction clusters, and $650 for ones with the OE gauge faces, which are still hard to come by, so availability is extremely limited.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Ok, so just to let everyone know, the 2nd picture is of the reproduction cluster. Winners were notified by PM and are eligible for the discount if they want it.

Also, it was mentioned by most people that the text is a bit different, which is the main difference between the two. To be honest though, I think most people wouldn't notice it unless they were looking at both side by side. I'd say that I'm still pretty happy with how they came out and I still plan to use them in my cars (well at least one for now).

As for another difference that might have made the contest a bit more obvious, there is another difference when they are lit up. It's nothing bad, but just a slight difference.

You can see the pattern of the diffuser on the warm-up lights is slightly different. This is just not as easy to reproduce the way BMW did, but again, I am still quite happy with it.

Anyways, these are officially available for sale as complete clusters or as upgrades for your current M5 cluster. They also work well on non-M5 clusters as the warm-up lights are invisible when they aren't lit, so I can make non-M5 clusters that have the oil temp gauge and higher speedo/tach, but no warm-up lights.

-Paul

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    I win!!!!

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Ok, so who's the first to cash in on their discount?

-Paul

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast