Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerM3inGA View Post
    $4K for a 4.6is in good condition is a heck of a deal. Especially since you can replace the chain guides yourself. Be sure to post some pics!

The chain guide replacement procedure for the M62TÜB46 is the same as the standard M62TÜ with one exception. The VANOS units don't have the little pins to check the continuity when in the fully retarded position. But that's not a big deal. I could never get the continuity test to work anyway. For whatever reason, I had a hell of time getting the timing right on this one. It took me three tries before I got it dialed in.

I haven't posted anything about this X5 lately because I managed to put a little over 4,000 miles on it without having to fix anything. But that came to an end last week when coolant started pouring out from the back of the engine. Turns out the hose going from the heater valve to the manifold connecting the backs of the cylinder heads had a hole in it. Got it replaced this morning and we'll see if I can set a new record...
    Yeah, I asked Raj at Beisan Systems if the 4.6 was any different, and he said the only real differences are in the Vanos units. I never did the continuity tests on any of the 6 M62tu's I've rebuilt, mostly because I couldn't find my multimeter and because it didn't seem necessary haha. I have all the proper tools including the tool that you use to fully retard the Vanos when timing. I haven't had any real problems with timing the engines either.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    E53, E38, E34, E39T
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerM3inGA View Post
    $4K for a 4.6is in good condition is a heck of a deal. Especially since you can replace the chain guides yourself. Be sure to post some pics!

The chain guide replacement procedure for the M62TÜB46 is the same as the standard M62TÜ with one exception. The VANOS units don't have the little pins to check the continuity when in the fully retarded position. But that's not a big deal. I could never get the continuity test to work anyway. For whatever reason, I had a hell of time getting the timing right on this one. It took me three tries before I got it dialed in.

I haven't posted anything about this X5 lately because I managed to put a little over 4,000 miles on it without having to fix anything. But that came to an end last week when coolant started pouring out from the back of the engine. Turns out the hose going from the heater valve to the manifold connecting the backs of the cylinder heads had a hole in it. Got it replaced this morning and we'll see if I can set a new record...
    Yep. I covered the vanos difference earlier here. It was a shock point for a couple of hours. Same coolant hose blew on mine one day as I was giving a 428i a harsh lesson in Elder Respect! Lol

Some Places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back......

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Great work on the refresh!

My Cars
    2006 BMW X5 4.4i
    Great thread and thnks for the inspiration. I just bought a 2006 X5 4.4i with a clean carfax report and the dealer is doing the iming chain guides before it ships to me. These vehicles look awesome and I certainly hope mine works out for me for awhile. If I can tear down a porsche 944 Turbo surely I can work on this vehicle.

My Cars
    E53, E38, E34, E39T
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman21 View Post
    Great thread and thnks for the inspiration. I just bought a 2006 X5 4.4i with a clean carfax report and the dealer is doing the iming chain guides before it ships to me. These vehicles look awesome and I certainly hope mine works out for me for awhile. If I can tear down a porsche 944 Turbo surely I can work on this vehicle.
    Congrats on the purchase! They are rare animals indeed

Some Places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back......

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234