Thread: DIS steps for deleting Transport Mode (with screenshots) - novice level

My Cars
    2006 Z4 Coupe (E86)

DIS steps for deleting Transport Mode (with screenshots) - novice level

Posting to help other novices who have encountered the Transport Mode problem. In my case, it shut down my A/C, heater, fan blower, defogger and some radio functions, maybe other stuff. This occurred when the car battery charge went low due to low usage. (I could only put max 5 screenshots in this post.)

This is DISv57 after successful connection of K+DCAN cable (USB connector from WinXP laptop to 16-pin OBD2 connector underside of car dash driver's side). This site doesn't allow me to post the cable ordered from EBay. After unsuccessful attempt with non-working cable (clear, with white circuit board), the second cable was an all black one and worked perfectly.

After getting to the point where the software installed and loaded properly...

Suggest connecting a charger to the car battery during the DIS session. Connect cable to OBD2 port on car. Connect other USB end to computer. Turn car ignition to 2nd to last position (the one before the car actually starts). Launch any auxiliary utilities required to load DIS software, then start DIS.

Vehicle was recognized automatically after entering the model in DIS pulldown menus.

- Press 'Diagnosis'

- Next screen looks like (1.jpg)...

- Press 'Quick Test'. The various systems will be analyzed. Takes about a minute.

- Next screen looks like (2.jpg). Items preceded by exclamation mark (!) checkout okay and items with 'x' indicate faults have been found.
    Notice under 'Body' category the item 'IHKA Integrated automatic heating/air conditioner' has a fault. The Transport Mode fault falls under this item.

- Press Green arrow on lower right of screen (sorry, not shown in 2.jpg screenshot, but similar appears in next 3.jpg screenshot).

- Next screen (3.jpg), in the lower box shows "IHKA85 - FF IHKA: Transport mode active--------Currently present----------..."
    However, 'not selectable or deletable'.
    - At this point click Green arrow on lower right of screen to continue to test plan.

- Next screen (4.jpg), highlight "Delete transport mode" item and click on right arrow to continue.

- Next screen (5-6.jpg), you will see some general manuf info about Transport Mode on the left, and on the right a question whether you wish to delete it.
    - Press 'Yes' (that is, if you want to see it go away, which I very much did).
    - Click right arrow in lower right of screen to have the system actually do the deletion. About 1 minute duration.
    - Notice that it tells you you must use the 'Quick clear' function afterwards to clear all fault code memories. Make sure to do this before exiting the session.
    - After the deletion process, you should see a screen confirming deletion completed.

- At this point I did some other things before exiting, but you can exit at this point, just remember to use the 'Quick Clear' step beforehand. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I believe you can go directly to the top of the screen under the 'End" button, then 'Quit', and there will be a popup asking about 'Quick Clear' and then terminating the session.

- When finished, disconnect USB cable/battery charger from car. Drive car and hopefully your systems are functioning once again.

Hope this helps someone out there. If so, post a reply.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (238.4 KB, 255 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (241.1 KB, 230 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (196.4 KB, 226 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (197.7 KB, 220 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5-6.jpg (397.9 KB, 228 views)

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Good writeup.

My Cars
    2006 Z4 Coupe (E86)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Good writeup.
    Learned a lot from your posts. Thanks for the feedback

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
    My son and I (I provided moral support and encouragement) used your instructions to get my 2006 out of transport mode yesterday. Thanks for the great write-up.

My Cars
    2006 Z4 Coupe (E86)
    Quote Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
    My son and I (I provided moral support and encouragement) used your instructions to get my 2006 out of transport mode yesterday. Thanks for the great write-up.
    Glad it helped.
    Was it difficult at all to source/install software and cable? I spent a lot of time hassling with a bad cable , but once I bought the correct one, things went smoothly.