Thread: What is the most current E39 diagnostic software?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

What is the most current E39 diagnostic software?

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping you'll afford me a bit of a newbie question here... I have recently taken a 1997 528i off my father's hands. I'm interested in getting diagnostic software for it... not just the OBDII emissions stuff, but the things I've read about that can give readings from throughout the car. However, the most recent threads I can find about this stuff are from 2013, and the most detailed one I've found is from 2009. Given how quickly computer-related stuff goes obsolete in general, I'm hesitant to buy those things based on the time that's passed.

The 2009 threads I found referenced Carsoft software... I've also seen reference to INPA and some other things, but again, all more than a couple years old.

I have no problem buying older technology because I do have some older laptops that would be perfect for dedicating to this, but if the newer software can actually do more things, I would opt for that.

Any guidance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    There really isn't anything new per se since these cars are over a decade old and new software is not made or updated for such old cars, as least when it comes to INPA, EDIBAS, etc. This link may help. I recently purchased a K+D-CAN cable from Amazon, and I've only been able to read my transmission and engine modules on my '03 540i, even after soldering pins 7 and 8 together (if that means nothing to you, do some research on the topic). Seems it is hit and miss with the cables.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...en-for-testing

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Don't buy Autoengunity, it blows. It worked OK until I bought the new PowerTrain update 2 years ago.
    Every update they do to it makes it harder and harder to connect and stay connected, at least for the E39.
    I've called them many times and they say it's my car, which is bull. I know 2 other guys that have it, same issues.
    I also have INPA, EDIBAS, etc, just have to find the time to learn how to use it.

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    As far as most current... Couldn't tell ya

But if you are new and looking for something simple and effective... Look into bcables.com

Super simple install and does the trick.
    I think they were based in England but ship surprisingly fast
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    2003 M5, E93 335i/6
    V41 Daten Files for the GT1 suite.
    -Chris

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Thanks everyone. I think I've determined that INPA 5.0.2 is the latest version still, so I've downloaded that. I have a OBDII cable coming from Amazon tomorrow and a 20-pin adapter coming Monday. Looking forward to messing with it.

My Cars
    528, E53 4.4, E92, F86
    Quote Originally Posted by Cereal View Post
    As far as most current... Couldn't tell ya

But if you are new and looking for something simple and effective... Look into bcables.com

Super simple install and does the trick.
    I think they were based in England but ship surprisingly fast
    +1

It was surprisingly simple for me- worked right away after the installation completed- INPA, GT1, SSS.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    That's what I bought too. Works good but I'm still learning how to use it.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    ISPI Next (ISTA-D (diagnostics) and ISTA-P (programming)). They can be made to work with an INPA cable and you get the full diagnostic solution that the dealerships use on even the latest computer (I run Windows 8.1 x64 on my laptop).

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Sorry to bump an old thread. I’m used to running software on Audi but have never really had the need with an OBD1 bmw. Would now like to get something set-up for the 530i. I have an old laptop running 64 bit Win 7. Sadly the last of my XP machines bit the dust. Are the above software/cable combos still the best for diagnostics? How difficult is it to learn the software?