Thread: Dreaded vibration and low rpm at idle in drive/reverse

My Cars
    2001 325i

Question Dreaded vibration and low rpm at idle in drive/reverse

Hey guys. I've done tons of research on this, seems like a common problem with no real answers.

Car - 2001 325i automatic 140k miles

Problem - In drive or reverse at idle the rpms sit at 550ish and a vibration is felt throughout the vehicle. Turning on the AC increases rpm, makes the vibration go away. In park or neutral its smooth. Maune a little power loss under 3k rpm although maybe I just got used to the car. The second I tougtouch the throttle the vibrations go away. Or shift to park or N.

I have no CEL on (although one time I left the car off for 10 days and when I came back and started it the car shook violently, misfiring, which went away with warm up, only happened once)

Tried - replaced VANOS seals, clean ICV, air filter/spark plugs, sprayed brake cleaner around intake (no obvious vacuum leak), changed exhaust cam position sensor, clean DISA, cleaned MAF, and will be changing my fuel filter this weekend.

I know many people in the past asked about this, so I was wondering if any progression has been made in finding an answer? Any other ideas I can look into?

Thank you very much

My Cars
    E46 330Ci Sport
    Camshaft position sensor would be my guess, or the pressure regulating valve (no. 1 in the diagram, BMW part number 11617501566):

Was a common problem on my old E38, can you hear a whistling sound when this happens? And if you blip the throttle does it stop the rough idle? If so I would definitely change the pressure regulating valve...
    Last edited by e38marc; 04-17-2015 at 08:45 AM.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    i hear a whistle at a high rpm when I accelerate. Ive changed the cam position sensor already. That pressure regulating valve sounds good though. I wonder if theres a way to test it before changing it? Is it easy to replace? Btw is that also called a ccv

My Cars
    2005 330i ZHP
    #1 in Marc's diagram is the CCV, yes. It's probably not a camshaft position sensor if you aren't getting a SES light. The whistling can be from that CCV, or from one of your pulleys. My alternator whistled a lot when the bearings inside went. Something else you can check is to make sure the two pistons just inside of the solenoids on your VANOS aren't frozen up. Over time, this can happen. Usually you just need to tap it to get it loosened up again, but I went ahead and replaced both of mine. I bought an expensive socket to do it, but ended up hardly using it as I already had the VANOS back on the car and it barely fit.
    -Nate

2005 330i zhp

8.2004 Production / Leather Seats / 6MT / 18x8.5 VMR V703s wrapped in 225-40zr18 Conti DWSs / AST 4200 Coilover Kit / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Audiovox Mediabridge / Black Cube Trim / Matte Black Kidney Grilles / Amber Free Front Corners - Side Markers - Tail Lights

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Ok that sounds good. I will check the solenoids out tomorrow and change fuel filter and report back.
    Last edited by KornevE46; 04-18-2015 at 12:58 AM.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    I had all symptoms, except whistle, turned out to be Vanos.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    I thought it was Vanos too. I replaced the seals 2k miles ago so im sure they are broken in, did not make any difference.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 316ti Compact
    Almost same symptoms, I've changed all the CCV including hoses, terrible mounting place under air-intake. After a few months symptoms are back again. Guess what ? OIL TAP. Was breathing under the seal of the oil tap. Since then all good.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by neohunter View Post
    Almost same symptoms, I've changed all the CCV including hoses, terrible mounting place under air-intake. After a few months symptoms are back again. Guess what ? OIL TAP. Was breathing under the seal of the oil tap. Since then all good.
    Can you describe what you mean with the oil tap? What fixed the issues when they came back months later?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i

Following up on idle problem

Quote Originally Posted by KornevE46 View Post
    Hey guys. I've done tons of research on this, seems like a common problem with no real answers.

Car - 2001 325i automatic 140k miles

Problem - In drive or reverse at idle the rpms sit at 550ish and a vibration is felt throughout the vehicle. Turning on the AC increases rpm, makes the vibration go away. In park or neutral its smooth. Maune a little power loss under 3k rpm although maybe I just got used to the car. The second I tougtouch the throttle the vibrations go away. Or shift to park or N.

I have no CEL on (although one time I left the car off for 10 days and when I came back and started it the car shook violently, misfiring, which went away with warm up, only happened once)

Tried - replaced VANOS seals, clean ICV, air filter/spark plugs, sprayed brake cleaner around intake (no obvious vacuum leak), changed exhaust cam position sensor, clean DISA, cleaned MAF, and will be changing my fuel filter this weekend.

I know many people in the past asked about this, so I was wondering if any progression has been made in finding an answer? Any other ideas I can look into?

Thank you very much
    I have exactly the same problem with my car, and just wanted to know if you have resolved the problem?
    Thank you
    2001 BMW 325i 125k miles

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Engine and trans mounts.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Would it not be unreasonable to question both 'engine mounts' and..also transmission mounts... as a source for your vibration.....as you described...? I have also very similar experience with same circumstances...

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    Would it not be unreasonable to question both 'engine mounts' and..also transmission mounts... as a source for your vibration.....as you described...? I have also very similar experience with same circumstances...
    There are a few critical areas of concern when addressing unwanted powertrain to chassis vibration when in gear on an XI.

Engine mounts
    Transfer case mount
    Vanos
    Both camshaft sensors (even if there is no CEL)
    Front axles (vibration felt through the steering wheel)
    Vacuum leaks