Thread: Dinan Breather Control Valve

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster

Dinan Breather Control Valve

Anyone ever figure out the generic replacement part for the Breather Control Valve on the Dinan E36 SC (Vortech) kits? Been searching the forums but so far drawn a blank (other than the Dinan part # which doesn't help)

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Yes. It is an old Ford part as I recall. You will have to do some searching, but I think the details were posted in this forum long ago.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    You're talking about the check valve used to block boost from the fuel tank?

E3ZZ-9C793-B

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster
    Ah no that's the vacuum check valve. I was meaning the one in this picture that you put on the line going into the vanos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...1/breather.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The one near the ??'s
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    First off, delete all that crap and use a catch can or S62 oil separator. CA SMOG, even star stations, pass with an S62 separator in place. But if you must keep it; Part number is: E47E-9F491-BA

Here's the S62 separator. This even drains back to the oil pan.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 04-16-2015 at 04:35 PM.

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster
    I actually have an S62 separator here. I thought that just goes in place of the stock one in the setup. Didn't realize it was meant to replace those parts altogether.

Just noticed your location, were you the one selling the kit a while back? I based my entire project off that part listing / pics. It was awesome. Here's what I've assembled, powder coated all the mounting plates. Vortech rebuild on the SC.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I got a follow up question based on you setup. Trying to determine the plumbing in that configuration.

Top two lines are self-explanatory from the pic.

The vacuum line I assume is just delete (replacing the 4 way X in the vacuum line setup with a tee) - Correct me if I am wrong.

As for the feed from the bottom of the separator where does this go, into the stock separator? Or does this also replace the stock separator. How do you plumb all this part?

G
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GBPaterson; 04-19-2015 at 01:29 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Yes I'm the one who had several refurbed kits for sale over the years. Feel free to text me too; 949-500-8493 (Brett)

Vacuum is deleted since the Ford valve isn't used.
    S62 separator bottom port is the oil drain. Just run it to the dipstick drain.

Good parts collection there. I would advise to not use the smaller mechanical fan. Get a Stewart WP, 3-core Z3M radiator and just use the stock pusher fan. I've had mine like this for 4 years and 116 degree central valley summers. Go Zionsville if you can afford it.

I've revised my parts list since you last saw. I can help you go over everything.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 04-19-2015 at 04:18 PM.

My Cars
    boosted M3's
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Good parts collection there. I would advise to not use the smaller mechanical fan. Get a Stewart WP, 3-core Z3M radiator and just use the stock pusher fan. I've had mine like this for 4 years and 116 degree central valley summers. Go Zionsville if you can afford it.
    I am actually contemplating getting rid of my Zionsville unit or just the electric fan if the mech fan will fit with the Zionsville Rad. The electric fan is absolute crap, it moves no air at all and the sound of it annoys me. It's a beautiful piece but I think ill be getting a new thinner rad and going back to the mech fan. Also, that way I can fit 8 rib pulleys for sure.

Also, Im the process of getting rid of my original dinan breather control valve, any reason the s62 oil separator is favourable over a catch can setup?

Your engine bay looks very, very clean. Good Job! What bypass valve do you use?

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster
    Actually, I am installing into a Z3M and already have the uprated Stewart pump installed. Didnt realize the stock fan would fit.

What I'm confused about is the line coming from the original (Stock) oil separator.

The S62 separator gets installed on the line going from the stock separator to the valve cover (1 - in the picture) and is connected to the SC intake. What happens to the connector on the stock seperator (2 - in the picture) that originally connected to hose #1?

3.png

- - - Updated - - -

Or, are we saying that the stock oil separator is removed entirely?

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Plug stock oil separator hole, delete the separator entirely.

Use the S62 as shown.

My Cars
    supercharged 97 m3
    Braymond, Would that set up work well with higher boost S/C cars? I really like the clean set up; but wonder how well it would work at 12 lbs boost?

- - - Updated - - -

Braymond, Would that set up work well with higher boost S/C cars? I really like the clean set up; but wonder how well it would work at 12 lbs boost?
    Insufficient funds...

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I'm at 12psi with it. My motor has blowby so I get a trail of oil vapor. The motor I have in the works will have much better ring sealing. You can run the S62 + a catch can if you are really concerned, but that does defeat the simple fit.

My Cars
    supercharged 97 m3
    I sold the car and had a catch can set-up. This is very clean, so I forwarded the link to him.
    We were both impressed on how nice it looks, but as long as it functions under the higher boost, with
    no adverse problems...I'd be switching over to this...

thanks
    Insufficient funds...

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster
    Ok, dumb question time. How do you plug the hole when you remove the stock oil separator. (i.e. is there a particular part I should pick up?)

My Cars
    boosted M3's
    bump, what intake tube is that?

did you just drill in a second hole for the s62 oil separator?

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster
    Hm good q, that looks like you have the Euro MAF on there with no reducer so I'm guessing that's a 3.5" pipe to keep the line open between the MAF and the SC inlet. Is it a custom fab?

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like the intake from the RMS kit although as ColdshotM3 stated with an additional hole drilled and another bung added.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3

My Cars
    boosted M3's
    you mentioned removing it after passing smog? why?

and im assuming you just drilled another hole? trying to get this setup replicated or use a catch can setup as i am still using the original dinan stuff. (among fixing many others issues...fml so much hackery has been done...)

Braymond what bypass valve do you use?

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdshotM3 View Post
    you mentioned removing it after passing smog? why?

and im assuming you just drilled another hole? trying to get this setup replicated or use a catch can setup as i am still using the original dinan stuff. (among fixing many others issues...fml so much hackery has been done...)

Braymond what bypass valve do you use?
    I didn't remove anything after SMOG, only venting the separator to atmosphere because my motor has too much blowby.

Aluminum BPV. No brand.

My Cars
    98 Z3 M Roadster
    I don't see it for sale on the RMS site. Wonder if it would work with the Z3M.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GBPaterson View Post
    I don't see it for sale on the RMS site. Wonder if it would work with the Z3M.
    Call them.

My Cars
    MZ3 325xi
    I'm about to tackle refreshing the breather hose refresh on my 99 MZ3 with the Dinan supercharger. I has 182k (130k with the S/C).

I think I'll switch to the S62 oil separator in the process. It looks like a much cleaner setup.

I can't tell from the pictures if you're using the Bank 1-4 or Bank 5-8 oil separator. Which one is it?