Thread: X3 Power Steering hose Connector at Rack

My Cars
    E34 M5,E39 M5,E30-S38

X3 Power Steering hose Connector at Rack

I am working on a 2005 X3. Need to replace a leaky hose from the steering rack to the cooler. Its got a strange male quick connector at the rack that I have never seen before. Long story short it will not come off! I have twisted it to the loose position, there is play in it but it will not pop out. I have tried to pop it out so much that I actually broke the plastic on the outside of the hose connector. Any ideas how these connectors come off?

I have search the internet high and low for info on this connector and can't find anything or even a similar looking connector. Why can't they just use banjo bolts or connectors like other BMWs have!

thanks!
    E31 850i | E60 M5 | E30-S38 MtecII | E36-S54 | E10 2002 soon to be M42 swapped

My Cars
    E34 M5,E39 M5,E30-S38

Looks like this! Must be a trick I cannot figure out. Weird thing is both connectors at rack are the same way and won't disconnect but loose. Please help asap! Really stumped
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2007 X3
    any ideas how this connector between hoses and steering rack can be opened? maybe this connector is used on other cars than e83.
    Last edited by gogudelagaze; 05-01-2017 at 01:58 AM.

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    I haven't tried to unplug it myself (yet) but the repair instructions tell to push the plug inwards first, then turn to the direction of the arrow. Hope this helps at least a bit.

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2004 E83
    Yes i've replaced both my power sterring steering hoses. It a trickey connection. You turn while pushing it in. Then with some wiggling it come out. It comes out easier than it goes in. Same procedure for locking it in, make sure to have it in unlock position then press all the way in then turn cap. You will feel it tightening itself. Beware though sometimes it might feel as if it has locked in but it hasnt and then u turn on the car and line pop out. So just double check before my wiggling them and pry on them a little. Also be aware of the thin white plastic o-ring on the new lines. During my installing i was struggling and it fell off, luckily i noticed.