Thread: Radio and Navigation screen not working...

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport

Radio and Navigation screen not working...

I've had this happen before and I just got my car back from Dima so everything is set from the coding and lcm point of view. But when Dima was trying to code, it came up the LCM wasn't working or talking back to the computer. All the lights work, but it doesn't show up as the indicator lights on the cluster. I have DEPO aftermarket tail lights. When it has rained heavy in the past, rain has got into the left side of the tail light housing and made the radio/navigation to turn off as well as the indicator blinkers on the cluster. I am replacing the K2 motor tail lights with the DEPO ones as we speak, but could water in the left tail light housing cause my car to have no radio/navigation and no indicator lights on the cluster? Just find it really weird that it is happening again, and I am almost positive that water is the culprit. Has anyone had this happen with their car with aftermarket tails (tails have poor gaskets protecting from the weather)?

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I dunno but it seems like you might want to put some caulking or something on the seal to get those water tight. I think sig has done that and found success.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Right. I am installing new DEPO tail lights now but I wondering if this has happened to others with the radio/nav because of water getting in there and the aftermarket seals not as good as OEM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Has anyone had this problem before with moisture getting in the tail light housing and disrupting the the turn signals on the cluster and the nav/radio not working?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Well, if you think about it, the nav computer and all radio/audio/nav electronics are right behind that tail light on the driver's side. If enough water leaked and got in there, it could have splashed around can caused a short. Have you checked your fuses? There is a 30A fuse in the trunk that provides power to the nav and cd changer to a large plug that sits below the CD changer easily in range of sloshing water.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    I will check my fuses, and you say the fuse is in the trunk? I know water is the culprit but what I can do to fix the problem is the question, and see where the short is.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    You should replace the crappy aftermarket lights with OEM ones with a decent seal. That's how to fix the problem.

Then, take the trim off around the nav and look inside. Look for corrosion on plugs and wires, specifically the plug under the CD changer. If anything's wet, dry it and let it dry out.

The fuse is in the panel above the battery. That's not gonna get wet, but it'll blow if the electronics on the left get wet.
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    I think the corrosion and possible water damage is in fact the culprit behind the turning signals not working on the cluster, as well as the navigation screen not coming on when I start the car. I am going to try and swap over the old gaskets on the OEM tails on the new DEPO LED tails I installed to see if that will provide better sealant. Timm Meek hit it right on the money with his excerpt from his website.

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Turns out its a faulty radio control module in the trunk (BMW part number: 65126902718) and the water and moisture has gotten in the driver side tail light housing causing water damage to the electronics. $500 from the stealer. Ugh.....

My Cars
    01 750 Sport "Angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by ramacher View Post
    Turns out its a faulty radio control module in the trunk (BMW part number: 65126902718) and the water and moisture has gotten in the driver side tail light housing causing water damage to the electronics. $500 from the stealer. Ugh.....
    Pretty sure I have one of those in my parts car if you want me to check.

Avenging Angel: 2001 750iL Sport Schwartz II Metallic, too many upgrades to list here..
    Kirsa: 2000 750iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Born on 11/99. Sold 12/21/13

The Mistress: 1997 744iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Sold 6/7/12. You will be missed Baby..

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jimbo View Post
    Pretty sure I have one of those in my parts car if you want me to check.
    Yeah I would like that.

My Cars
    01 750 Sport "Angel"
    0427150724.jpgthis is the part from the parts car..

Avenging Angel: 2001 750iL Sport Schwartz II Metallic, too many upgrades to list here..
    Kirsa: 2000 750iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Born on 11/99. Sold 12/21/13

The Mistress: 1997 744iL Biarritz Blau Metallic, Sold 6/7/12. You will be missed Baby..

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Two years later, and after my long absence, the radio still isn't working. Is there a DIY on getting the driver's side tail light area opened up? I left a bag of rice in there and left it overnight. There is a lot of moisture in there and I will have to find a way to insulate the tail light housing so when it rains (yes I live in the NW), it keeps all the radio electronics free from moisture.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    There is a gasket that should be on the back of the tail light that seals all that area.

You probably need a new nav or radio due to the water intrusion.

My Cars
    E46, E38, E39
    Interesting old topic as I have got similar issue (no noise from speakers), the amplifier in the photo attached has some sort of discolouration almost like a mould that won't come of, I have used contact cleaner for the changer plug (photo attached), CD changer is ejecting the discs, as for the deposits in the last photo, probably from leaking gaskets, is it relevant to my non functional sound system?.

bmw amplifier.jpg bmw cd changer.jpg bmw water damaged trunk.jpg

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    So looking at the pictures of your electronics, they definitely got wet at some point. If they were operated wet and kept getting wet for a period of time, some electrolysis probably occurred and board components corroded until something went bad and you lost sound. There is likely more internal damage that you can't see. You probably need new electronics once you fix the leak.

The black thing in the first picture is the DSP amp. If you have nav, the radio is behind that tucked up against the fender. If no nav, the radio is up front in the dash.

There is definitely water intrusion going on in the back there where the electronics are. As far as the battery side, it looks like maybe the battery itself is leaking and the acid is corroding the trunk area. It's hard to tell, though, because it also looks like there is dirt and stuff from weather intrusion. If unsure where it is coming from, spray some water on the car with everything dry and then look inside to see if you can see where the water is coming in.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    I am going to pull the entire carpet out of the left tail light housing and try to remove all the moisture out of there tomorrow. It's more than likely a bad amp. The MKIV navigation system is fairly new. In addition, the CD player won't eject, there is white lining around the inside of the CD compartment. Dang water...

My Cars
    2001 740il
    I have a complete 16:9 system if you need parts just give me some pics of the equipment part numbers and I'll let you know if I have the right stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk