Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcantara Dash/Console and Updated Exterior Shots

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, H3 Tactical

Alcantara Dash/Console and Updated Exterior Shots

Finished up wrapping my dash, cluster hood, air bag cover, steering wheel tabs and console faces in Alcantara. Here's the end result. I'm thrilled to have gotten rid of the burl wood and updated the overall look of the interior. I didnt want black, so I used anthracite gray, which was one shade lighter than black. It ties in nicely with the carpet color. Going to do my door cards next and maybe a few other bits without going over the top.

Window switches weren't pushed down in the pictures, I know!

Going to do my door cards and headliner/pillars next and maybe a few other bits without going over the top.

..and since I haven't posted here in a while, here is a few up to date grainy cell phone shots of the exterior:

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Nice job! Looks great.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    z3 2.3 z3 3.0
    Looks good were did you buy the Alcantara from?

My Cars
    z3
    Lot going on in that interior that is for sure! Regarding the Alcantara I like what I see except I wouldn't have done the airbag cover myself. I think it should match the surrounding panel personally.

Is it real Alcantara 9002? Is it from gulf fabrics, I assume? Is the wheel real CF or CF leather/fabric?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 bmw z3. 1.9l
    Man thats an amazing job! Car looks awesome! Congrats!

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    E368x2 / F15
    Never noticed the entire center portion of that hood is raised. Cool car, too much for me though.

/
    //

My Cars
    z3
    Aren't the centers of the hoods raised on all Z3's?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    did you have to remove the dashboard for wrapping? i have a scratch right in the middle of my console which disturbs me, but i'm afraid of the thought of removing the dashboard!

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    wow, that looks really nice.
    If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Yep.

The only part on the OP's hood that's higher than a normal hood is around the vents.

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady

no, he means the center center. between the vents on thread starters hood.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    I like the alcantara bits. I would be proud to have them on my car. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by ADAz3M View Post
    Right. The center of all Z3 hoods are raised just like that. A design element I always thought showed real courage from the designer. (I never would have thought to add something like it, but I'm not sure if I would prefer the car without it.)

Example from user danomite: http://i.imgur.com/Th4tG2d.jpg
    Example from user ZoO: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...psupfwgq7a.jpg
    Example from user Diverdown1969: http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...9/IMG_6753.jpg
    Last edited by BenFenner; 04-07-2015 at 09:28 AM.

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post

Right. The center of all Z3 hoods are raised just like that. A design element I always thought showed real courage from the designer. (I never would have thought to add something like it, but I'm not sure if I would prefer the car without it.)

Example from user danomite: http://i.imgur.com/Th4tG2d.jpg
    Example from user ZoO: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...psupfwgq7a.jpg
    Example from user Diverdown1969: http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...9/IMG_6753.jpg
    have I never noticed this?!

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    have I never noticed this?!
    Apparently not. =D
    It is a subtle touch that does fly under the radar. You won't be able to see anything else now that you know it's there.

Edit: I wonder now if it is there simply to add strength to the hood. That's a lot of relatively flat metal to support without some contour for strength.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 04-07-2015 at 10:51 AM.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Edit: I wonder now if it is there simply to add strength to the hood. That's a lot of relatively flat metal to support without some contour for strength.
    Could be strength or simply interest. A huge plain section of hood would be really boring to look at...

*cough* non-M Z4 *cough*

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Looks well done. Too much for my taste, but well-done. When are you going to fix the net in the passenger-side footwell, which now looks ratty compared with all of that other awesomeness?
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    Yellow Pants
    Sorry, but it looks way too disjointed. The combination of shiny dash vinyl with the alcantara, red, carbon and silver pieces is too much.

It seems like you only wrapped the flat easy pieces vs. having the curved pieces cut sewn and applied.

My Cars
    e30 m3, 99 M Roady
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagone View Post
    Sorry, but it looks way too disjointed. The combination of shiny dash vinyl with the alcantara, red, carbon and silver pieces is too much.

It seems like you only wrapped the flat easy pieces vs. having the curved pieces cut sewn and applied.
    I don't mind it. Only the carbon wrapped wheel? is that what that is?

I would look for grey seats to match tho.

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 93is View Post

I tend to use the rear cubby for my sunglasses

Lerv the look & feel of alcantara, that color would match gray seats beautifully!
    Experience any issues with wrapping around the edges or any worries of wrinkles later down the road?
    // TODO: Create sig

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, H3 Tactical
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    Nice job! Looks great.
    Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Z3X2 View Post
    Looks good were did you buy the Alcantara from?
    Thank you, I bought it through my buddies shop, ESH Upholstering, im pretty sure he orders through Gulf Fabrics.

- - - Updated - - -

Lot going on in that interior that is for sure! Regarding the Alcantara I like what I see except I wouldn't have done the airbag cover myself. I think it should match the surrounding panel personally.

Is it real Alcantara 9002? Is it from gulf fabrics, I assume? Is the wheel real CF or CF leather/fabric?
    Yeah im in the midst of a transition of appearances. I had a lot of carbon fiber, and I'm moving away from it. Im working on a spare wheel that I have now and yes it is true carbon fiber, not the best job, but I bought it off ebay a while back. Going perforated and non perf leather(black). Yes, it is true alcantara 9002.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Z3mwannaB View Post
    Man thats an amazing job! Car looks awesome! Congrats!
    Thank you! I love this car!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tib View Post
    The Coupe looks great, Love the hood!
    One of my favorite parts! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Msilvia View Post
    Never noticed the entire center portion of that hood is raised. Cool car, too much for me though.
    Thanks, its not for everyone, but i love it. Yes it has an emphasized cowl/blister in the center. Its much more pronounced than the oem hoods.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dawenth View Post
    did you have to remove the dashboard for wrapping? i have a scratch right in the middle of my console which disturbs me, but i'm afraid of the thought of removing the dashboard!
    I removed it yes, it would have been messy and probably not as quality if I did not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bcar View Post
    wow, that looks really nice.
    Thank you, kindly

- - - Updated - - -

This is correct.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Quote Originally Posted by 93is View Post
    I had a lot of carbon fiber, and I'm moving away from it.
    Good to hear.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, H3 Tactical

Thank you, im proud beings that it was the first time I've worked with the materials. Since the completion ive only gotten positive remarks on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Looks well done. Too much for my taste, but well-done. When are you going to fix the net in the passenger-side footwell, which now looks ratty compared with all of that other awesomeness?
    HAH thanks! I didn't even see that, I think it just came off of the metal framing. I'll have to take a look at it, I don't remember it being that way before the install. I recently shampooed the carpet, maybe when I reinstalled it I missed it?

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, H3 Tactical
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagone View Post

I can agree with this to a degree, as I stated in another response, I'm currently transitioning the look of the interior. This was the first of the changes. I am changing the carbon fiber out, the steering wheel is one of many i have and is swapping with a spare. I'm going leather/perforated grips. The door cards are lifting so they will be redone and are going to have some minor alcantara tied in, and the seats are on the list, I did those a while ago and have recently changed tastes in the red but that will be later. The silver bits will stay. They are true Schnitzer parts. The pedals will go back to black, they came with the car and its been one of the things that have been always on the list to change but always gets pushed aside.

I did do the "easy pieces" not because they were easy, but because thats the parts that I wanted to change, started as just the center, but I wanted the domed cluster hood as well, I was on the fence about the airbag cover, asked my parents opinion and they said go for it so I did, and I'm not upset with that decision.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't mind it. Only the carbon wrapped wheel? is that what that is?

I would look for grey seats to match tho.
    Yes its wrapped with real carbon, I've lost interest in the wheel so its one of the next few items on the list to change out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phr34k View Post
    I tend to use the rear cubby for my sunglasses

Lerv the look & feel of alcantara, that color would match gray seats beautifully!
    Experience any issues with wrapping around the edges or any worries of wrinkles later down the road?
    Hah, yes thats where they usually are, they were on my head when I started and I laid them there....later to be slung off by the wipers when I reassembled and started the car.

Yes I love the look and feel also, and I agree the seats could use a change!
    I did when I wrapped the cluster hood, not originally, but in the drivers side corner, I found some minor bunching the next morning, I see it but no one else has noticed yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast