Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Oil Pressure at Idle Info

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I've used a BMW/Ferrari approved full synthetic Euro 5W40 for the last several years. Less noise and less burn-off than the OEM 5W30 oil. If you're in a cold climate and drive your car in the winter though, be careful about increasing the cold viscosity. The owner's manual has some temperature guidelines if I recall.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    My 99M3 owners manual says the oil light may flicker at idle when the motor is hot.
    Really? I'm not doubting but could you take a picture of where it says this?

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Bump, would like to see the page in the owner's manual as referenced above, if possible.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    In case you do not have one, download here , Owner's Manual | Part No. # 01 41 9 790 377 | 3.5MB https://www.bmwsections.com/docs/3series/
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Good looking out guys, thanks!

My Cars
    E90 328i, E36 M3/4/5
    So I did something stupid... the PO of my car was running a 10w-60 racing oil in my car. I went in to my local dealership and had a conversation with them about this and ultimately was talked into dropping down to a 5w-30. Big mistake. Today, the light has been over active in the idle position and I've developed a very pronounced lifter tick... Needless to say, another full oil change is in my near future to take it back up to 10w-60. I'm almost convinced that it's not so much a mechanical break down of the car (oil squirter issues), rather, with aging internals and larger bearing clearances etc...

Either way, I'm starting to consider a rebuild...

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Tehvic,can you provide further info?,
    Like engine specs and engine mileage, time/mileage interval between previous oil change?

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehvic View Post
    I went in to my local dealership and had a conversation with them about this and ultimately was talked into dropping down to a 5w-30. Big mistake. Today, the light has been over active in the idle position and I've developed a very pronounced lifter tick... Needless to say, another full oil change is in my near future to take it back up to 10w-60.
    Dealerships stock 5w-30, so that's what they push.

There is a middle ground... 10w-60 is not the correct weight for an S52. 5w-30 is quite light in my opinion, particularly for summer usage. Try a quality 10w-40.

I know some people like a 10w-50 and obviously 10w-60 but both are band-aids for other issues.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    xxW-40 for summer & xxW-30 for winter,
    A tried and true formula for my first car,
    and seems to still apply today, with the addition of a full synthetic formula!
    At least that's my educated and researched opinion, yours may vary.
    Higher levels are due to special circumstances and requirements, as stated in above post.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 07-27-2017 at 06:35 AM.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    I haven't been able to find a BMW spec for idle speed, but anecdotally 500 rpm seems low. Idle speed is not adjustable as such, since it's controlled by the ECU via the idle control valve. Some aftermarket engine tunes will bump the idle a bit. The ICV is located under the intake manifold, and is certainly known to malfunction, or to leak vacuum at its rubber gasket mounting. A small vacuum leak anywhere else in the intake tract (also common) may also affect idle.

10W-60 is an unusually heavy weight oil to use in this engine, and wasn't even readily available when the car was current. AFAIK BMW started using it with the E46 M3's S54, which had rod bearing issues in the early versions. Oils commonly used for the S50/52 are 15W-50 for track/high ambient and 0W-40, 5W-40 or 10W-40 otherwise. I wonder whether the PO's use of 10W-60 was an attempt to address oil pressure issues?

It's definitely worth checking for the dreaded cracked oil pump pickup tube, but man, it's a royal pain to do.

Without an actual oil pressure gauge it's not really possible to draw conclusions about the state of an engine's lubrication system. You can buy shop oil pressure test sets for smallish money (Harbor Freight, etc.), or fit aftermarket dashboard gauges at rather higher cost.

Neil

(Note: Originally posed over in the other thread, copied here.)

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah if you're having oil pressure issues with 5w30 but not 10w60 then there's probably something wrong inside the engine or oil pickup/pump. The BMW 5w30 oil that the dealers use should work in these engines with no issues. I personally use a BMW-approved (longlife-01) 5w40 full synthetic, but there are many oils out there that people use for performance or climate reasons.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    E90 328i, E36 M3/4/5
    So I re-changed my oil yesterday back to the POs recommended 10w60 BWM fil synthetic... car runs a lot better than it did. Light still flickers. Crazy thing is though, with the 5w30 I had in there, I'd have to rev over 1k to get it to shut off. Now, goes off at about 650-700ish. I know it's a harsher oil to use for my bearings, but I just felt the 5w30. I didn't like the way the engine performed. I think toward winter I'll definitely drop it down a bit, but for these super hot days I'm reluctant.

My car is a 1997 M3/4/5 with an unmolested 113k miles on it.

Someone brought up a good point about the ICV... the PO put in a cold air system, I'm wondering if there was damage done to the ICV at swap? Something I'll look into.

Thanks guys for all the info!

My Cars
    1999 M3
    You could instal an oil pressure gauge if you're really worried about it. But you'll probably just learn to live with it, after you end up doing everything listed in this thread and it still happens. IMO rebuilding a motor for a reason like this is asinine.

My Cars
    E90 328i, E36 M3/4/5
    I have to agree with you Nate... I won't truly worry unless the light comes on at operating speeds (cross My finders)... other than that, I'll just tease the throttle a bit at lights and watch it close

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    A 10W60 weight oil in the warm weather should not be a problem for your bearings. Remember, when cold, the oil runs/performs like a 10 weight oil, and when hot it runs/performs like a 60 weight oil. The main reason manufacturers use light oils, like a 5W20, is to increase mpg.

The heavy oil maintains an oil film between rotating parts, under a very have load, a lot better than a 20 or 30 weight oil.

In your case, you've probably got increased clearances, and the heavy oil stays in place better. Remember, if you lose the oil film, the engine will seize up, as metal on metal is a no-no.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I have a simple question,
    Has oil pressure been measured & verified for both grades of oil in this engine>5w-30 & 10w-60?

My Cars
    E90 328i, E36 M3/4/5
    Not under my ownership, no. Sound like that would be an expensive test as the 10w60 runs around 15/qt, haha The PO had tried to diagnose the problem with his mechanic for a while including a full bottom-end rebuild, but could never pin point it. Thats why my assumption is that it has to be the internal "oil squirters" or something that was overlooked like the pick up tube. I still think the car idles too low, around 500-550 RPM and thats what the light comes on. I need to mess around with it and see if I can get idle to around 700. I'm wondering if there was something messed up with the ICV? Not sure...

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Idle rpm is in the tune so if you screw out the stop it could affect the tune. I can't recall factory idle but might be 550. I use 850, in a tune.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12