Thread: 2002 530i w/m54 engine - Low Oil Pressure

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i

2002 530i w/m54 engine - Low Oil Pressure

I have this same oil pressure problem. Could you tell me if these oil spray nozzles can be removed through the pan without removing the crankshaft or is it time for a lower end rebuild?

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by chambersdavid View Post
    I have this same oil pressure problem. Could you tell me if these oil spray nozzles can be removed through the pan without removing the crankshaft or is it time for a lower end rebuild?
    Nope. They're in the block under the upper main bearings. These would pretty much be the very first things to be installed in the block during a rebuild.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    I fixed my problem (which I posted about years ago earlier in this thread) by the replacing the oil pressure switch (with OEM) and the fan clutch/fan. No oil pressure light since then and that was over two years ago. Try these two things, which will take you an afternoon, before you go nuts cracking open the bottom end.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Thanks for the info. I have already tried the oil pressure switch. I'm not sure what the fan clutch would do........I don't seem to be having any overheating problems.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    I did read the entire post. I have tried the orings and the seal on the filter housing bolt (mentioned in post #15) and the dip stick tube with no help. The only things I have not tried is:

1) The oil nozzles inside the block
    2) Maybe the nut on the oil pump is starting to get loose?
    3) Oil pickup tube clogged or damaged?
    3) The fan clutch (could that cause this problem?)
    4) Changing the idle speed
    5) Changing the oil viscosity
    6) I also have not verified what the oil pressure is when hot...........I have ordered a fitting to adapt to the oil pressure switch location so I can add a gage but with this lock down it's taking forever to get here.

So I'm thinking after I try a couple of the items above, it's time to remove the pan and see what I can find.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    3) The fan clutch (could that cause this problem?)
    Like I said it was my issue...$100 and 20 minutes of your time to try. The car may have been running a bit hot which raised oil temps enough to make it thin enough to set off the oil pressure light. I assume your light goes away with even a flick of the gas?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    It does. I will order parts today and give it a try. Thanks for the info.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Ok, I tried the fan clutch with no help. Every time I get the engine hot, the oil pressure light and "STOP LOW OIL PRESSURE" message comes on. The idle RPM is about 800. Just a quick hit on the throttle makes the light and message go away.
    One thing new I noticed though, as I was shutting the engine down, i also got the CHECK OIL LEVEL message even though the oil level on the dip stick is good. Any ideas?

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    How many miles on the engine? Even though we hear of a S52 making it to 300k and beyond...
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    89 E30 S52 94 E34 S52
    Ok, I tried the fan clutch with no help. Every time I get the engine hot, the oil pressure light and "STOP LOW OIL PRESSURE" message comes on. The idle RPM is about 800. Just a quick hit on the throttle makes the light and message go away.
    One thing new I noticed though, as I was shutting the engine down, i also got the CHECK OIL LEVEL message even though the oil level on the dip stick is good. Any ideas?
    Just dealt with an issue like this and it was a clogged oil filter. And this was after I dropped the oil pan. Checked oil pump, pick up tube, and oil filter housing. Take out oil filter and then turn it on and see if problem goes away. Put an OEM filter and see if problem persists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    It has right at 200k miles. This engine is in a 2002 530i (m54 engine). I changed the oil filter while I was changing the o-rings on the filter. That also was no help. I read in another post that someone fixed their problem by replacing the vanos seals. I think I'll try that next before I remove the oil pan.

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Install a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see what the pressure actually is.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    It has right at 200k miles. This engine is in a 2002 530i (m54 engine). I changed the oil filter while I was changing the o-rings on the filter. That also was no help. I read in another post that someone fixed their problem by replacing the vanos seals. I think I'll try that next before I remove the oil pan.
    You should really try asking in the right forum. This is the E36 M3 forum. You should find the E39 forum and ask your question there.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by E30335i View Post
    Just dealt with an issue like this and it was a clogged oil filter. And this was after I dropped the oil pan. Checked oil pump, pick up tube, and oil filter housing. Take out oil filter and then turn it on and see if problem goes away. Put an OEM filter and see if problem persists.
    There is a chance that it's a clogged oil filter, but that would only a contributing factor. The oil filter housing has a bypass valve to allow oil to flow around a clogged filter. It's hidden under one of the T-70 plugs on the housing. There is no documentation about what the bypass pressure is set at, but it's likely only a few PSI pressure drop. If that's enough drop to trigger the pressure switch, you still have an underlying problem.

The 'CHECK OIL LEVEL' message is probably unrelated. You should check the oil dipstick. If the level is OK, it's just the normal level sensor flakiness from residue on the probe. You can swap the sensor or attempt to clean it with solvent the next time you change your oil.

If putting in a new pressure switch doesn't fix the problem, a pressure gauge is the next step.

BTW, do a quick check that the two tiny o-rings at the bottom of the oil filter cap are intact. If the plug is broken off or the lower o-ring is missing, pressurized oil will return directly to the oil pan.