Thread: 1999 M3 Convertible Top Problem - Won't close enough to latch windshield

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3

Question 1999 M3 Convertible Top Problem - Won't close enough to latch windshield

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker here for some time and I have learned a lot about my car from the help of many of you.

I have a unique problem that I absolutely cannot find a definitive answer for, so I decided that this post might actually help someone in the future so here it goes.

I own a 1999 M3 with a fully automoatic top. When opening, it POPS loudly when it detaches from the windshield. It also requires me to put a lot of downward force on it to bring the front bow (with the latches) close enough to the windshield to actually latch to it.

Shows the front bow about 6" away from the windshield. This is where the lock motor stops moving the roof and is just about to "close" the latches, even though it is not near the windshield.
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsk9diEPK

The sensors are working and fooled into thinking the top is actually closed if I were to continue to push the "top up" button and let the motor move (close) the latches.

Shows the linkage rod diagram:
    https://flic.kr/p/rEquy7

Now I've inspected the linkage, it does not look bent. But I can't tell if either of these linkage adjustments will actually help my problem and I fear that if I start adjusting things willy-nilly I'll be worse off than when I started.

TYIA, your help will be very much appreciated.

TLDR - Is there a roof adjustment that changes the pitch/angle of the entire roof frame?
    Last edited by padan1; 04-04-2015 at 12:27 PM. Reason: TLDR

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    You might want to post this in the convertible forum as it's more geared to these issues, but just a question, is this the original top or have you replaced it recently?

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3
    I believe it is the original top. I've owned the car for about 2 years.

Can I get a mod to move this to the convertible top questions sub-forum?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    The top after years will shrink, and so tightly that the motor won't be able to bring the windshield header down to latch onto the roof. If all it takes is you pulling down on it to do that, it makes me think it's the top fabric shrinking too tight. Just a thought.

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3
    The fabric seems to allow everything to move as it should, does not seem to cause excessive tension as it closes. The elastic straps seem to be doing their jobs as well, and aren't extremely tight when the roof is fully closed. It seems to me that the entire frame moves as it should as the linkage rods and lock motor are working. The top of the frame is straight/flat after the lock motor stops moving the roof and starts moving the latches.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Convertible
    I have a 99 M3 Convertible also -- haven't had this problem but I generally have to 'work it' a bit early in the summer after it sits top on all winter. There are copious threads out there on various forums regarding lubing of old convertible tops. I'd check 'em out. Good luck.

My Cars
    05 997, 06 987s
    There are mechanisms that pull the top and latches it into the frame