Thread: E39 Sunroof Broken, What part is this?

My Cars
    00' Z3 M Coupe;E39 525iT

E39 Sunroof Broken, What part is this?

Hello recently my sunroof broke, I replaced the piece that broke, it was this:

After I replaced the piece I clicked the forward button to check if its all working, and I hear a crack, and next thing I know another piece broke. The piece that broke is the one shown below, does anyone know the part number or name for that specific piece not the whole group of pieces shown below, and also I have seen that I need to remove the headliner to replace the piece, is that true, and if not whats a easier way to replace it.

Link for sunroof guide rail(every part):http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-M5-S62_5.0L/ES157405/

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525iA
    Unfortunately, replacement of that part (the back piece, right?) requires dropping the headliner and sunroof cassette to slide those pieces out of the back. I did this about 2.5 years ago.

My Cars
    2003 540 6 speed
    There are going to be a few broken plastic pieces most likely. If you really want to do this right, drop the headliner and remove the sunroof cassette, take pics before disassembling the rail pieces, then examine all broken parts including the weather channel piece that's probably laying in the back of the assembly.
    Order your new parts needed, then replace. Do NOT under any circumstances operate the sunroof without the glass in place

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Search around for a good DIY on this first. It's not that difficult if you know what you are doing. But going at it blindly will not be fun. I have done the headliner twice now and the second time was so much easier. I can offer some tips. Press the sunroof button to raise the rear section. The black rubber accordion strip you see is just held in a channel at the top. I suggest some sort of trim removal tool to pry the end toward you from behind. Then if you gently pull the top of it towards you, it will start to pull out of that channel. Once it's out, you will see the 3 metal fasteners on each side that hold the glass/brackets to the frame. Once those are out, you can remove the glass. Then from the top of the car looking down, you will see all the little fasteners that hold the headliner to the metal frame. Remove all of those and then work your way around the car removing the screws in the sunvisors and grab handles. IIRC, you have to remove the A pillars and C pillars as well. A pillars have a large screw in each behind the SRS cover. Then pull up and out as there is a tongue down behind the dash. The C pillars have screws behind the map lights.

That should get you going enough to where you can figure out the rest. But I still suggest searching for a more detailed list or video in case I missed any steps.
    Last edited by RVAE34; 04-05-2015 at 08:59 AM.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Ive had the parts for over a year now. Mine opens but doesn't pop up in rear. I miss that feature a lot.Need to get his done.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 525iA
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Ive had the parts for over a year now. Mine opens but doesn't pop up in rear. I miss that feature a lot.Need to get his done.
    If it does that you (should) just need to replace the front part of the rails, which are accessible by removing the glass.

My Cars
    2003 540 6 speed
    Last edited by lesguy; 04-05-2015 at 01:11 PM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by mfan225 View Post
    If it does that you (should) just need to replace the front part of the rails, which are accessible by removing the glass.
    Amen. Allocate 3hrs if doing for the first time. It isn't bad just time consuming.

My Cars
    00' Z3 M Coupe;E39 525iT
    Took about 3 hours with two people, I would suggest if anyone has to do this grab a friend to help, can be difficult alone.