Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Justa5 in Japanrot.My Touring

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Headliner pulled and stripped. Also "A","B"and"C" pillars. Plan to drop off this week to get recovered in ultra suede black.
    Forty five minutes in stripping headliner.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Jp5, could you shoot a picture of the rear ceiling speakers without the headliner? I have been wondering what kind of space there is up there, got Type R Alpine 6x9’s which are real shallow, no magnet, electronic voice coil, just wondering what kind of custom crap I’m gonna have to do to fit them up there, if even possible.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Headliner pulled and stripped. Also "A","B"and"C" pillars. Plan to drop off this week to get recovered in ultra suede black.
    Forty five minutes in stripping headliner.

With all the black seats, & the headliner that is going to look F^%#*&@ FANTASTIC! missed that red 540iT with that interior planned...your doing the color interior that exterior color is crying out for...
    Last edited by SCRSUVS; 05-03-2018 at 06:34 AM.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Jp5, could you shoot a picture of the rear ceiling speakers without the headliner? I have been wondering what kind of space there is up there, got Type R Alpine 6x9’s which are real shallow, no magnet, electronic voice coil, just wondering what kind of custom crap I’m gonna have to do to fit them up there, if even possible.
    Hi Bimmrmeupsnotty,

You can forget about 6x9's up there! the oem is perhaps a round 3.5 inch possibly 4 inch speaker and once it's taken out, then there's perhaps a depth of about 1 or 1.5 inches and a round circumference of perhaps 2.5 inches. The speaker location play directly downward to the load floor a totally useless location to waste money in trying to upgrade or make it sound better. Save your money or, make custom D pillars like I had done a few years back. The difference between locations is astounding if you want/like a little bit of rear fill.

JP5 - The black/red contrast will look great once you're done with this upgrade! and alcantara is fantastic to touch and see ! I have a oem black liner in my spares shed and I want to install it, but then I also want Alcantara ! in due course, I'll get it done

Looking forward to your next batch of pics once complete !

Cheers, Dennis!
    Last edited by DennisCooper; 05-02-2018 at 08:45 PM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Dennis, I appreciate what you are saying, and have been saying about me shoving my 6x9’s up there. What I wanted to know about is how the factory speakers are held up in there. The bracket, if there is one, I want to know what there is up there, as I have not bothered to look just yet. The Type R 6x9’s are shallow, like 3 inches for the depth, they do not have magnets. I do understand what you are talking about, with the stock speakers facing straight down. That is not what I will be doing, I never cared for that positioning from the factory myself. I will be making a custom bracket that will angle the 6x9’s, face them forward a little bit, I will be cutting the headliner to form around the bracket, dress it with a machined aluminum trim bezel that my buddy at the machine shop will fabricate for me when I give him the file that I draw up on Solidworks. I will be powder coating the bracket and the bezel, beige, to match the headliner, so it will be subtle. I just want an idea of what is up there right now, and JP5 just took down his headliner so I asked. I do know a thing or two about hi fidelity, I used to sell car audio at Circuit City for a few years, part time two days a week, pure commission, and I actually did very well at it. Back in 2000, I was partnered in a custom car and cycle shop, we did full custom audio and video installations, cars, trucks, SUV’s, and even boats, and a couple of airplanes, and even on a sport bike, believe it or not.... but I do appreciate your enthusiasm, and helpfulness, I know you intend well. Thanks! Hell, one of the other things I plan on doing is installing a panoramic sunroof from an X5 onto my wagon, that will be fun, good thing I work at a huge autobody shop!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Bimmrupscotty,

I understand where and importantly, why you are coming from the thinking you have. What you are describing to do though has zero positive aspects and all negative ones in terms of time/effort/money spent. In order to get large 6x9's to be installed in that location, you'll need to angle them, which then reduces your load height/clearance and sods law says one day when you really need to put X item in there it'll be too tall and won't fit unless you break the housing. There's no 'volume' there so any bass response the speaker is capable of, won't really perform and to make them 'sound' better, you'll need to seal the enclosure you make for them which increases cost and design aspects. From memory, there's a small bracket which the oem speaker kinda fits into and as I mention, there's perhaps an inch to inch and a half of depth as it were. If you saying you want to put in a 3.5 inch/4 inch co-axial then that might be a 'little' bit better in terms of the amount of faff you need to do.

It's your car of course, so by all means go for it, but looking at it logically, it's not in any way a worthwhile project.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Parts stripped of old fabric and off to get recovered.

[IMG]

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Jp5,

I 'might' have to have my current headliner within the car stripped and retrimmed as it's a different type to all I've seen previously. I suspect that it's a Police spec headliner, and the difference is that there's a large rectangular cutout but not where a sunroof would have been, it's 'further' back. It can also be relatively easily pulled down/off which I suspect was to perhaps gain access to any wiring etc for the Police light bar that was on the external roof panel.

Could you update on how tricky/tedious it was to scrape off the oem headliner material and prepare it to be smooth please? any specific products used to help with the removal and/or tools used? Same for the pillar bits and bobs? I do have a full set of black pillar trims and plastics etc which came with the spare black headliner I have in storage.

If it's just time consuming over being really tedious, I may remove my existing headliner, do the faffing around and then have it and the existing grey trims done in Alcantara when I get to that on my long list of future mods !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Dennis, happy to. It's pretty easy I thought. The small bits, "A,B,C" pillars you just have to pull the old fabric off. It has a second layer that is very thin and you can just cover over it with the new fabric. The headliner is maybe two/two and a half hours to strip. I used my cordless Dewalt drill went through three battries.
    I used a small wire wheel attachment. You need to have a very light touch so not to dig/gouge/scratch the base of the headliner. The edges you need the wire wheel to go towards the edge or opening as to not lift the headliner edges.

I also used a hand wire brush in spots. I finished up with some course Scotch-Brite pads to clean every thing up. The Scotch-Brite worked really well and gave it a great finish. I would say it's no harder than sanding furniture.

The tools where my sunroof is all I used. I think the other style wire wheel would work better,but I didn't feel like running to hardware store.

[IMG]
    Last edited by jp5Touring; 05-03-2018 at 06:48 PM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi Bimmrupscotty,

I understand where and importantly, why you are coming from the thinking you have. What you are describing to do though has zero positive aspects and all negative ones in terms of time/effort/money spent. In order to get large 6x9's to be installed in that location, you'll need to angle them, which then reduces your load height/clearance and sods law says one day when you really need to put X item in there it'll be too tall and won't fit unless you break the housing. There's no 'volume' there so any bass response the speaker is capable of, won't really perform and to make them 'sound' better, you'll need to seal the enclosure you make for them which increases cost and design aspects. From memory, there's a small bracket which the oem speaker kinda fits into and as I mention, there's perhaps an inch to inch and a half of depth as it were. If you saying you want to put in a 3.5 inch/4 inch co-axial then that might be a 'little' bit better in terms of the amount of faff you need to do.

It's your car of course, so by all means go for it, but looking at it logically, it's not in any way a worthwhile project.

Cheers, Dennis!
    I hear you, and you are probably right, I can always just shelf the 6x9 idea, I didn’t even think about the housing impeding the rearview mirror. I can always save them for a custom job on the rear deck of my 540 sedan. Lol, I’m just a bonehead when it comes to good deals, and trying to be different. Yeah, really, with all the component speakers going into every door, the 1000w subwoofer going into the spare wheel well, the 6x9” would just be an added load of work anyway. I do like how you have those, what are they? 6.5’s in the d pillars?

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Flushed the brake system with Pentosin fluid, rotated tires,Liqui Moly oil change Mann oil fiter,Mann air filter. Set tire pressure and torqued the wheels for
    Pittsburgh Octoberfest 6 hour road trip. Washed a quick wax job and I hope were good to go.

My Cars
    97 528i
    that car is absolutely gorgeous !! love it !!

wish I could meet up with you guys....Pitt is only a couple hour ride (and a nice ride !) from here and I've been wanting to go to this. Just have full weekend.
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    95 740i, 92 ACSchnitzer
    Do you mean the Pittsburg gran prix road races? What is Octoberfest?
    Lets get the party started before it's my bedtime.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by adm750 View Post
    that car is absolutely gorgeous !! love it !!

wish I could meet up with you guys....Pitt is only a couple hour ride (and a nice ride !) from here and I've been wanting to go to this. Just have full weekend.
    Thank You kind sir,yeah not far for you at all,to bad you can't make it. Cleveland to Pittsburgh was kinda a pia. Road construction through that part.

Quote Originally Posted by gaspump View Post
    Do you mean the Pittsburg gran prix road races? What is Octoberfest?
    Octoberfest is BMW fall national event. They did it this year with the Grand Prix. 2002's are 50 years old so their making it a big deal.

My Cars
    95 740i, 92 ACSchnitzer
    The Pittsburg event always was the same weekend as the Road America vintage weekend but not this year. Lots of stuff going on with my move so it might be next year. Sounds like a great event.
    Lets get the party started before it's my bedtime.

My Cars
    2003 540iT Touring Wagon
    Like that color so much thinking of painting my 2003 Silver wagon the same...especially since missing the 540iT red one a few months back...advantage have the black interior (IMO a must for a red wagon)...that red is my #1 favorite on these cars & knowing how rare finding another red 540IT is almost impossible...
    Last edited by SCRSUVS; 07-15-2018 at 05:41 AM.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Had to look it up in my own thread . Been four years with Varrstoeen wheels and still are in great shape.
    Took them off the car to clean and give them a coat of wax front and back for Spring.

My Cars
    2009 Highlander Hybrid
    I want this car so bad. How does the headliner look now?

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyFred View Post
    I want this car so bad. How does the headliner look now?
    Thanks Fred, the headliner turned out great. Headliner and all the pillars were done in black. I used all M5 black interior lights and grab handles.
    The touring specific parts were done with SEM interior black paint. Its not quite a year old, everything is holding up like new.

It goes in next week for a full detail and paint correction. Will get some new pictures up when done with the detail .

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Man, it’s been 4 years since you got those wheels from Brandon??? Where’d all the time go???

JP, you still got that headliner material for sale?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Indeed!

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Man, it’s been 4 years since you got those wheels from Brandon??? Where’d all the time go???

JP, you still got that headliner material for sale?

I know crazy right . I will need new tires by end of Summer I think. The headliner went pretty quick. Going into a e38.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Indeed!
    Ha, I know time flies. They were a great purchase. I tell people the story of buying them off you and the LS V8 Touring, almost everyone knows your car or seen pictures on the internet.
    Love all your builds and where your heading with the Japanese stuff. Well done.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Ahh poops, I was hoping you still had the headliner material available. Brandon, I got to drive one of those Skylines just like yours, only it was bone stock, in Japan back in 1987 I think it was. Car belonged to a friend of mine who went to the same high school that I did, back home in the Philippines. Cool car!

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi JP5!

Looking forward to seeing the results of your paint correction soon ! Your Touring, being also of a rare colour always looks sublime My headliner project I've decided to fuse into my interior overhaul I'm planning now in order to carry out in the mid term future. It also gives me a bit more time to evaluate what I'll do with my current Police spec roof liner and/or change completely to the non sunroof black oem liner I have in my goodies storage!

I will also soon post up how my car looks now as it's back out after a tidy up and new paint.. just some mechanical/maintenance stuff to do along with a few more modifications

Cheers, Dennis!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast