My Cars
    2008 X5 4.8i

Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor Problem

2008 4.8i with comfort seats

I'm having a problem with my passenger seat occupancy sensor. I get a passenger seatbelt warning, even when no one is sitting in the passenger seat.

First question....is this part of the occupancy sensor recall to replace the matt?

Second question, if it's not part of the recall, can someone help me with a part number for the sensor matt? I can't seem to find this on RealOEM.

Thanks
    2014 328i XDrive
    2011 335i M-Sport
    2008 X5 4.8i Sport
    2000 528i

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Have you called your local BMW dealership(s) and give them the last 7 digits of your VIN to see if you are in the recall? If not, I'd try that first.

My 2006 e53 X5 was in the recall...and when I took it in back in January to have the recall done...I wasn't actually having any issues...my light in the console next to the sunroof worked properly, and the airbag light was NOT illuminated on the dash. They did the usual "fix" which actually didn't work and both lights illuminated.

This meant that a whole new seat w/OC3 mat sensor had to be ordered from Germany (which was backordered due to demand). About 3 weeks later, it came in...and from the part nbr on the list...it would be #2 in the diagram and link to the part nbr below if you need to replace the sensor on your e70 w/sport seat. They had to remove the leather to install the new seat w/occpancy sensor...plus replaced a few of the hog-rings and other clamps that holds the leather to the seat. (again, they didn't replace the leather...just the stuff under the leather...which is #2...in my case because the other fix didn't work).

The diagram is from bmwfans.info because their diagram is better...the part nbr index link is to realoem.com...same part nbrs and info etc...its just that the realoem.com diagram has a broken bracket for #2 which may be confusing since it includes the mat sensor and the cushion beneath the leather:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 04-02-2015 at 09:57 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2008 X5 4.8i
    Well, I called BMW NA, and they say my car is NOT in the recall. Can you tell me more about the "Usual Fix" you mention?
    2014 328i XDrive
    2011 335i M-Sport
    2008 X5 4.8i Sport
    2000 528i

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I actually don't know what the usual fix is. All I was told is that they tried it and it didn't work...that was the reason why the warning lights were illuminated when they gave it back to me...and that the entire lower seat was on order to be replaced.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the other details.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    2008 X5 4.8i
    I noticed another interesting thing in my car today with respect to this problem. Even though I was getting a passenger seatbelt warning, (with no one in the passenger seat), once I connected the seatbelt, the warning went off. But the curious thing is that the Passenger Airbag Off light remained lit.
    2014 328i XDrive
    2011 335i M-Sport
    2008 X5 4.8i Sport
    2000 528i

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Well...I guess it's telling you that if you buckle that seat belt while driving around and it's empty...and God forbid you get in an accident...at least you won't have to replace the front passenger airbag because its not going to deploy. But sadly, if you do have a passenger in the front seat...make sure they wear their seat belt because the bag is not going to deploy.

My Cars
    2008 X5 4.8i
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Well...I guess it's telling you that if you buckle that seat belt while driving around and it's empty...and God forbid you get in an accident...at least you won't have to replace the front passenger airbag because its not going to deploy. But sadly, if you do have a passenger in the front seat...make sure they wear their seat belt because the bag is not going to deploy.
    With a passenger in the seat, and buckled, (of course!) I get no seatbelt warning, and no "Passenger Airbag Off" warning either.
    2014 328i XDrive
    2011 335i M-Sport
    2008 X5 4.8i Sport
    2000 528i

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Ah...okay.

My Cars
    E39 540/6, E70 X5, F06
    We have an '08 3.0 that has had this problem for a while. I talked to BMW about it and they said "No Recall", I went to the BMW website and went under their recall page and it too stated that it was not included. How BMW can have this recall in previous models/years, then abandon the recall, yet continue to make a faulty product is beyond comprehension. I have gone to my BMW specific indy and he says that it will cost about $1900 because we need to buy a new seat. He is looking out for a used seat, though that was a while ago.

There are seat emulators on the market, not however for the E70.

This problem sucks big time. It is ALWAYS there, occupied or not. Fortunately my wife still loves the car, but this issue really torques me.

L

My Cars
    2008 X5 4.8i
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post
    We have an '08 3.0 that has had this problem for a while. I talked to BMW about it and they said "No Recall", I went to the BMW website and went under their recall page and it too stated that it was not included. How BMW can have this recall in previous models/years, then abandon the recall, yet continue to make a faulty product is beyond comprehension. I have gone to my BMW specific indy and he says that it will cost about $1900 because we need to buy a new seat. He is looking out for a used seat, though that was a while ago.

There are seat emulators on the market, not however for the E70.

This problem sucks big time. It is ALWAYS there, occupied or not. Fortunately my wife still loves the car, but this issue really torques me.

L
    Agreed that the No Recall is completely unfair. Clearly, BMW has NOT fixed this problem. On my car, the recall ended 12/31/07. My has a build date of 1/2008..I'd bet money the part in my car is exactly the same as the recalled cars. But that said, BMW has had problems with seat cushion electronics as long as I can recall. Remember the E39's that had the same airbag sensor issue back from 15-16 years ago, and the seat heaters that would burn through the seats??

But $1,900 is nuts for this job; I think you need to shop for a new Indy. You do not need a new seat to fix this. The seat pad needs to be replaced...it's got the sensors built in. This is the foam pad underneath the leather. The part should be $500-600 depending on where you get it. It should be two to three hours of labor to change this. Basically, you need to remove the seat from the car, take off the bottom cushion, strip the leather off, replace the foam, and reassemble. No question this is a job I will do at home when I get around to it.
    Last edited by RacerX5; 06-15-2015 at 11:26 AM.
    2014 328i XDrive
    2011 335i M-Sport
    2008 X5 4.8i Sport
    2000 528i

My Cars
    2008 X5 4.8i
    Well I solved the problem on my car. Well, I came up with a very satisfactory workaround. I coded the car to turn off the passenger seatbelt warning. Since the seat occupancy sensor seems to be fine relative to the passenger airbag, (no error messages), I can live with this.
    2014 328i XDrive
    2011 335i M-Sport
    2008 X5 4.8i Sport
    2000 528i

My Cars
    E39 540/6, E70 X5, F06
    Glad this worked out for you. I will look into same as well as finding a seat bottom online or at a yard.

My Cars
    E39 540/6, E70 X5, F06
    Talked to my Indy about having the sensor recoded as posted above. He stated that he was unable to do this due to the legal ramifications (I don't blame him in todays society).

Therefore, I have ordered an airbag emulator online. Will let you know how it works out....
    Last edited by Luftpost; 03-18-2016 at 05:56 AM.

My Cars
    '08 Touareg, 03 M3
    Did this work? I am having the same issue. I just fasten the passenger side belt and it goes away, want a permanent solution.
    2003.5 E46M3 - BBS RGR, BMW Motorsport 3.91, JRZ/Dinan S3 suspension, SuperSprint V1 Stepped/cats, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

My Journal

Previous - '95 M3, '94 FD RX7 (single turbo and LS6 swapped), '98 Integra Type R, '89 325i, '91 318, etc

My Cars
    E39 540/6, E70 X5, F06
    The product I bought came with a seat mat emulator as well as a seat belt bypass.

The seat mat emulator works fantastic. All previous airbag warnings and associated messages are gone. Super easy fix, even a cave man can do it.

The seat belt bypass is another story. The cables and photos that are depicted in the instructions and company website are different than the colors I have. They are in Ireland, I am in the States. I have been in contact with customer service and they have been very quick to reply. It's just that I have not gotten to it yet. Meanwhile, we keep the belt latched when the seat is empty, and there is no issue.

I can handle the seatbelt issue for now. The airbag message was a total handicap and nusciance. I am super happy that it is resolved.

I highly recommend getting a seat mat emulator.

L

My Cars
    2010 X5 Diesel, 2016 550
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftpost View Post
    The product I bought came with a seat mat emulator as well as a seat belt bypass.

The seat mat emulator works fantastic. All previous airbag warnings and associated messages are gone. Super easy fix, even a cave man can do it.

The seat belt bypass is another story. The cables and photos that are depicted in the instructions and company website are different than the colors I have. They are in Ireland, I am in the States. I have been in contact with customer service and they have been very quick to reply. It's just that I have not gotten to it yet. Meanwhile, we keep the belt latched when the seat is empty, and there is no issue.

I can handle the seatbelt issue for now. The airbag message was a total handicap and nusciance. I am super happy that it is resolved.

I highly recommend getting a seat mat emulator.

L
    Can you let me know where you got the emulator? I need one for my E70 but the only ones I can find are from airbagdoc in lituania, I'm guessing shipping isn't going to be quick from there.

My Cars
    2010 X5 Diesel, 2016 550
    Bought the emulator and can't get it to work on my 2010. Tried all of the jumper configurations. Perhaps I need to have the code cleared first and inbetween changing dip switch settings...Great where am I going to find a shop to do that.

My Cars
    E39 540/6, E70 X5, F06
    Sorry to get back to you so late. The company I bought it from is SRSDrive, on EBay. They still seem to be in business. Their costumer service is good, and will respond to questions.

Clearing the code is only required to get ride of the seatbelt warning once the Seatbelt bypass is installed. Clearing the codes is not required for the mat emulator o function properly. This is how it worked for me and how it was described by SRS too.

As as a side note, I still have not installed the Seatbelt bypass. I just keep the belt latched at all times and there is no problem.

If if you need more info regarding SRS, send me a private message with a cell number and I can text you an image of my order info.

L

My Cars
    X5
    Which module and line did you code/alter? I've had this Pass. Restraint system error for a year now lol. 08 4.8 with sport seats.

My Cars
    2010 X5 Diesel, 2016 550
    Haven't coded it yet to try to get rid of the light. Bought the cable and still trying to get everything figured out before I jump into the coding.

My Cars
    X5 E70 2007
    My X5 E70 2007 3.0si have Passenger Restraint Fault but this warning only happen when passenger sit on. If no passenger sit on, there is no warning anything. I wonder something wrong with seat belt restraint sensor. Any body face with this issue or can give me the advise. Thanks

My Cars
    2013 X5 50i
    Do you remember what you coded out?
    So far using NCSExpert I did the following under ABG and I still have the annoying airbag error.
    SBE1_1 - nicht_aktiv
    OC3_1 - nicht_aktiv

I'm not sure what else I'm missing?
    I unplugged the sensor and cleared the errors with ISTA+

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX5 View Post
    Well I solved the problem on my car. Well, I came up with a very satisfactory workaround. I coded the car to turn off the passenger seatbelt warning. Since the seat occupancy sensor seems to be fine relative to the passenger airbag, (no error messages), I can live with this.

My Cars
    2008 X5 4.8i
    Quote Originally Posted by Musk View Post
    Do you remember what you coded out?
    So far using NCSExpert I did the following under ABG and I still have the annoying airbag error.
    SBE1_1 - nicht_aktiv
    OC3_1 - nicht_aktiv

I'm not sure what else I'm missing?
    I unplugged the sensor and cleared the errors with ISTA+

Thanks!
    It was coded out with an Autologic, and that does not require learning a foreign language of commands, not to mention the German. It's too long ago to remember what was done; sorry I can't help more.
    2014 328i XDrive
    2011 335i M-Sport
    2008 X5 4.8i Sport
    2000 528i