Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catalytic Converter replacement

My Cars
    95 BMW 840Ci; 97 Toyota 4Runner Ltd

Catalytic Converter replacement

Hi folks,

It looks like both my catalytic converters are in need of replacement. It has been suggested that the entire OEM system is not worth the money, and that an after market pair for $300-400/ea with at least 2 yr warranty, some splicing and welding via a trusty muffler shop, would be wiser. Thoughts?

I’ve read through some older catalytic converter specific posts here on the E31 forum and many have spoken about getting rid of them completely and/or replacing the system with Magnaflows. Being in California, I would assume deleting the cats completely would result in failed smog tests. Is this correct? And with regard to Magnaflows, I’m at that age where I prefer a quiet ride.

My question is.. are there any specific after market / third party catalytic converters that is recommended? Or would any “universal” cats work? Or are there any recommended Magnaflow systems that run as quietly as a factory exhaust system that will pass smog tests in lieu of the splicing and welding option?

Much thanks as always.

CEL

My 1995 BMW 840Ci
    Authentic OEM 18" M Parallels, Staggered Michelin Super Sports,
    Airbag Sports Steering Wheel 2,
    ACS-style aluminum pedals and more to come...

wanted an 8 since college back in 1991; came to fruition in May 2007

click for more pics->
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...05&postcount=1

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I removed my converters on my 95. In IL we don't test 95 and older cars. The car ran the same and it was not any louder. The down side was the smell. My wife made keep the garage door open for 15 minutes after I drove the car. I just had a single cat installed with two in and two out. The performance is still the same and there is no smell.

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    FWIW,
    If your emissions test show excess NOX, you might want to replace the O2 sensors before you go to all the expense of replacing the CATs. The M60/M62 is notorious for running lean from the O2 sensors output drifting above 60k miles and the leaner mixture prevents the CATs for converting the NOX. Yep, the O2 sensor voltage will look perfectly normal but the Air Fuel Ratio has drifted leaner than normal hence the CATs do not work normally.
    Last edited by shogun; 04-03-2015 at 05:49 PM.

My Cars
    Fortunately I passed my last smog test in Aug 2014 (and 2012, '10 and '08 with no issues) and am not due for another one until Aug 2016. It's only recently that my catalytic converters failed. I also replaced my O2 sensors 6 years ago (seems just like yesterday) and have driven approximately 23,000 miles since then.

My goal at this point is to weigh out my options regarding the failed cats:

- replace with after-market brand rather than OEM. If so, what brand and model? And is cutting old and splicing new into the existing pipes common or even recommended with the E31?

or

- replace entire system w/ Magnaflows? If so, I would want "quiet" ones that will not cause a fail during my next emissions test in 2016.

Cheers,
    CEL
    Last edited by shogun; 04-03-2015 at 05:49 PM.

My 1995 BMW 840Ci

click for more pics->

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    I recently had a customer with an extremly nice '99 840Ci with broken (yes, phyically broken) ceramic internals in the cat converters.
    He didn't want any after market stuff welded in as he wants his car to look original. So I opened the original cats and emptied them entirely.
    Then I took two Magnaflow cats, cut them open, removed the monoliths and inserted them into the original cat housings.
    Has been a bit of work but now it looks original again and will pass smog tests even easier than before because of newer cat technology.
    If needed I can suppyl the exact Magnaflow cat model plus more info on how to do the conversion.

Last edited by wokke; 04-02-2015 at 02:20 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Now that's commitment.
    Last edited by shogun; 04-03-2015 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    X5M E70 and E28 525i
    Ive been catless for years on my CSi but was getting sick of the smell and some smoke puffing. Put in some universal cats, quite small and high flow (they were expensive, like $90 each) and they work fine. I put them in with exhaust clamps though the piping was only 1/2mm larger than the pipe I was sleeving it over so the clamps are probably unnecessary. Sounds better (more low down rumble) and runs better (more responsive from pickup and smoother). I have Dbilas Cams too which IMO were pushing it over the edge and the cats helped the ECU get back in control fueling wise.

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    - replace with after-market brand rather than OEM. If so, what brand and model? I replaced my cats with aftermarket units for $200 each and they have worked well for 2 years. I'll know more at the next smog check.

or

- replace entire system w/ Magnaflows? If so, I would want "quiet" ones that will not cause a fail during my next emissions test in 2016.
    My understanding is that the Magnaflow cats will not add extra sound and are a good replacement.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Magnaflow and plenty of others make aftermarket cats. Have a look on Ebay.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    This is amazing and your customer is definitely a committed owner. I'm curious if re-housing an after-market cat into a factory housing is acceptable in California. FYI, here is a list of approved cats for California: https://www.magnaflow.com/02catalyti...&splityear=PRE

Quote Originally Posted by wokke View Post
    I recently had a customer with an extremly nice '99 840Ci with broken (yes, phyically broken) ceramic internals in the cat converters.
    He didn't want any after market stuff welded in as he wants his car to look original. So I opened the original cats and emptied them entirely.
    Then I took two Magnaflow cats, cut them open, removed the monoliths and inserted them into the original cat housings.
    Has been a bit of work but now it looks original again and will pass smog tests even easier than before because of newer cat technology.
    If needed I can suppyl the exact Magnaflow cat model plus more info on how to do the conversion.

Were your old cats cut and new cats welded in to the existing pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by tvjake2 View Post
    - replace with after-market brand rather than OEM. If so, what brand and model? I replaced my cats with aftermarket units for $200 each and they have worked well for 2 years. I'll know more at the next smog check.

or

My understanding is that the Magnaflow cats will not add extra sound and are a good replacement.

My 1995 BMW 840Ci

click for more pics->

My Cars
    '91 e31
    I'm curious if re-housing an after-market cat into a factory housing is acceptable in California
    Can't imagine that it would be - there's no way to pass a visual inspection with such a setup...

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytt View Post
    Can't imagine that it would be - there's no way to pass a visual inspection with such a setup...
    They don't look under the car, just at the EGR stuff and air intake...and if it were in a factory housing, how could they tell anyway?

My Cars
    '91 e31
    I hope I stand corrected!

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytt View Post
    I hope I stand corrected!
    I "passed" the visual inspection three times at two test-only stations with a freakin' superchager, but they did still look at the vacuum lines and EGR stuff...ha

My Cars
    840+S550 AMG+CanAm RS-S
    I haven't been as lucky...at a Star certified station 2 years ago when I was getting a smog check they pulled out the mirror on me to check for the "cat stamp" on my cats.

My registration is due next month so we'll see if they do it again.

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris99 View Post
    I haven't been as lucky...at a Star certified station 2 years ago when I was getting a smog check they pulled out the mirror on me to check for the "cat stamp" on my cats.

My registration is due next month so we'll see if they do it again.
    I've never had anyone look under the car for a smog inspection.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    God bless the Midwest. Smog inspection? What's that? ��
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    I haven't been as lucky...My registration is due next month so we'll see if they do it again.
    I'm up for Smog in August.....passed two years ago by a single point! Not looking forward to this years results. At the last test the tech said the cats were the culprit. Heidi only has 155k on her.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    840+S550 AMG+CanAm RS-S
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBobo View Post
    I'm up for Smog in August.....passed two years ago by a single point! Not looking forward to this years results. At the last test the tech said the cats were the culprit. Heidi only has 155k on her.
    I replaced my cats in 2011 and I only had 4K on the cats when I failed smog in 2013. They said the cats were the problem again so I got new cats and barely passed. I'm going to try the Seafoam that seems to work for everyone and hopefully that will make the difference.

Mangaflow will probably give me a hard time again if I say their cats are bad after 4K again.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    I replaced my cats in 2011 and I only had 4K on the cats when I failed smog in 2013. They said the cats were the problem again so I got new cats and barely passed. I'm going to try the Seafoam that seems to work for everyone and hopefully that will make the difference.

Mangaflow will probably give me a hard time again if I say their cats are bad after 4K again.
    Cats can be killed pretty quickly by an over-rich mixture - and the V8's are notorious for it due to multiple vacuum leaks that skew the adaptations. Have a read of this:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/BMW_M60...cuum_Leaks.htm
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7

When my 840 failed smog, I was told the (original) cats were bad too, but I wasn't buying it, so I just did the test again, but revved up the motor and made sure they were as HOT as possible after driving 30-40 minutes before the test - passed with flying colors. Did not do anything else...

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    When my 840 failed smog, I was told the (original) cats were bad too, but I wasn't buying it, so I just did the test again, but revved up the motor and made sure they were as HOT as possible after driving 30-40 minutes before the test - passed with flying colors. Did not do anything else...
    The correct way to pass a smog test.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    I did the exact same thing for my test and still only passed by a single point. I damn near drove to San Diego & back so I know the "cats" were good & hot! Can you get me a set of "loaner" cats?
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    840+S550 AMG+CanAm RS-S
    I tried that too...drove from Culver City to Anaheim and back and still failed... It will probably fail again so that's why I'm going to try the Seafoam and then make a long drive before testing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 72tpik5 View Post
    God bless the Midwest. Smog inspection? What's that? ��
    Every 2 years after the vehicle turns 6 (or transfer ownership) you have to get an emissions test (AKA Smog Test) to keep your registration current. It's basically a California scam to get more money from vehicle owners as we just in LA County alone have more cars than each state (except for Florida, Texas and NY). The only difference between the cats they sell in California and the other 49 states is there is a certification stamp on the cats (which can be seen if the smog station breaks out the mirror)

I must say that I think it has helped because when I was a kid a remember looking towards Downtown LA it used to be a orange haze on warm days...now its just a haze.

...this is probably more that you wanted to know about this.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    I tried that too...drove from Culver City to Anaheim and back and still failed... It will probably fail again so that's why I'm going to try the Seafoam and then make a long drive before testing.
    You could try that, but what is the condition of the air filter, fuel filters, spark plugs, O2 sensors, and commonly-air-leaking intake manifold gaskets? If any of those are bad, you could see an improvement by changing them.

Sadly, it seems very common to have replacement/aftermarket cats offer only a small (or temporary) improvement on emissions test figures.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast