Thread: P0201 Code / No CEL / New Code after changing valve cover gasket (2008 528i)

My Cars
    08 528i Black / Tan

P0201 Code / No CEL / New Code after changing valve cover gasket (2008 528i)

First off, Hello all! I am not new to bimmerforums having previously owned my fair share of BMW's but left them for a while for an American made car. (C5 Z06; I have no idea why!)

Fast forward to current. I have a good bit of knowledge pertaining to working on N52/N54 motors and earlier model BMW's. I also have a garage full of specialty BMW specific tools and thankfully a OBDII scan device.

I went outside two days ago to start my current BMW (2008 528i 3.0L). The car would turnover twice and immediately start but died instantly. After a few rounds of this I got the car to start but had to flutter the throttle to keep it running. I ran a quick scan and came up with the fault code for a bad Eccentric Shaft Sensor. I ordered the new shaft sensor along with all new gaskets for the valve cover. It took about 2 1/2 hours to change the sensor and replace the gaskets. Once I had everything plugged back in and the valve cover back in place I did a test fire before replacing all of the cosmetic engine compartment components.

The car immediately had a shutter that was not present prior to changing the sensor so I again checked for engine codes... The eccentric shaft sensor code is now gone but I am getting a P0201 code for cylinder #1 injector circuit open. I noticed when replacing the wiring harness for the injectors that it did not have a "snug" fitment to the fuel rail or the injectors themselves.

I did some initial trouble shooting and moved the entire injector harness around slightly to make sure everything had a good connection. I cleared the code and the car started and ran normally without any shuttering, staling, or loss of power. I assumed it was a loose connection and buttoned everything back up for a quick test drive. The car ran flawlessly and operated normally. Then this morning I came outside to go to work and the shuttering, hesitation, and lack of power have all returned without any change after parking the car last night. When checking the codes, the same P0201 is present and cannot be cleared (returns immediately). I drove the car a short distance and it has significant loss of power, jerkiness, shuttering, and an obvious miss in the normal cycle.

Can anyone lend a helping hand on this matter? I removed the clips that attach the wiring harness to the fuel rail when removing it as opposed to the pulling method. I reinstalled them all prior to reassembly and they firmly clicked into place but still have some play in the entire harness. I do not believe it is a bad injector but have not checked the resistance yet. Could a loose coil pack or loose fuel injector harness cause this code? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cory

My Cars
    X3, 325i
    Have you solve? This promblem mine is doing the samething right now