Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S54 Bearing Recall - New Info

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2

S54 Bearing Recall - New Info

I called a local shop 2 weeks ago for a quote to do the rod bearing job. I'm sure they'd love the business, but they feel the dealer should cover it and suggested I go that route first. The bearing recall has been well documented and I didn't expect to make any progress, but whatever, I tried. The parts manager I've been working with had a meeting with their BMW rep and we were turned down mostly due to the car's age, and the fact that it's in good running condition at the moment. They told me if something catastrophic had occurred, they'd work with me to fix it. Since it's running, they suggested I leave it alone. Again, we all know how this will play out.

But I have some (potentially) new info. Attached is a report from ALLDATA that clearly shows a revision to the rod bearing recall, covering M Coupes and Roadsters. Apologies if this has been covered, but it's news to me. We sent this to the rep and we're waiting to hear back.

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    Reading through it, the scope of that document which references the bearing kit, etc etc is framed to a 2004 M3 Coupe. The only reference to the 01-02 MZ3 is cited in reference to a previously communicated 100k/6y warranty extension for oil-lubricated parts, which is well known. That section is bookended by the statement 'Please make sure the customers of these vehicles are aware of this warranty extension and coverage', so it is doubtful that the scope of the reference changed mid-stream.
    Last edited by Itsablurr; 03-27-2015 at 12:11 PM.

BMW M3 - Ferrari 348 - Chevrolet Chevelle

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    In addition, it says 2002-2003 M Coupe/Roadster...

My Cars
    z3
    M Roadster and M Coupe: so rare even BMW doesn't understand it

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    In addition, it says 2002-2003 M Coupe/Roadster...
    Too bad for 2001 owners, but great news for prototype Z4M owners.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    To make matters worse__at least for me__is that the M3 "bearing recall kit" went NLA early last summer (2014, for future reference).

While the updated bearing shells are still available individually, a set (6-upper & 6-lower) currently costs a little over $200.00 more per set than the kit cost (and does not include the rest of the kit's contents, consisting of the small round gasket, and oil filter set, and a bag of hdwr__mostly needed for the M3, but some useful pieces for the Z3/M too).

The kit's demise left me with no other choice than to limit offering the bearings; I can still install them (coated or not) but I don't keep them stocked anymore.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsablurr View Post
    Reading through it, the scope of that document which references the bearing kit, etc etc is framed to a 2004 M3 Coupe. The only reference to the 01-02 MZ3 is cited in reference to a previously communicated 100k/6y warranty extension for oil-lubricated parts, which is well known. That section is bookended by the statement 'Please make sure the customers of these vehicles are aware of this warranty extension and coverage', so it is doubtful that the scope of the reference changed mid-stream.
    That's how I read it. Just an extension of the warranty for oil-lubricated parts for all S54 engines and not an expansion of the recall to include the Z3M.

Curious to hear how the BMW rep interprets it.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    It's over 10 years and they are no longer required to "hold" parts. Back in the day when my dad was an Auto Shop teacher at a college, Nissan donated a truck load of straight 2.4L six (from the Datsun 810), since they were older than 10 years old and they did not want to house them anymore. I could have bought one for very little money and put it into a worn 240Z, which at the time could be picked up for $1500. Didn't do it.

Anyway, parts are going to get really hard to get for our engines now. Well not hard to get, but the prices are going to soar. Not just for the S engines, but for the M engines too.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002Z3 View Post
    It's over 10 years and they are no longer required to "hold" parts. Back in the day when my dad was an Auto Shop teacher at a college, Nissan donated a truck load of straight 2.4L six (from the Datsun 810), since they were older than 10 years old and they did not want to house them anymore. I could have bought one for very little money and put it into a worn 240Z, which at the time could be picked up for $1500. Didn't do it.

Anyway, parts are going to get really hard to get for our engines now. Well not hard to get, but the prices are going to soar. Not just for the S engines, but for the M engines too.
    The components common to 3-series and M3 will remain around for quite a while, I think. Some Z-specific stuff I fear will continue to become scarce/NLA.... take for example, the soft tops. There has been precedent set in the past with other older BMW models where a pent up demand will initiate a replenishment of stock on previously NLA pieces, though, so there is hope.

Facebook for special NEWS and OFFERS- Motion Motorsport LLC
    Instagram for GIVEAWAYS and CONTESTS- @MotionMotorsport

"By enthusiasts, for enthusiasts. Quality components for the street and track."

My Cars
    z3
    So this was updated 3/25/2015 (date on top left of document... unless that is just when it was being looked at) to remind people of a warranty already no longer applicable to any cars? They are all past the "6 year" part of the warranty... cool that BMW added our cars to the warranty, but shame they didn't do it 7 years ago when it would have been applicable? Am I missing something here?
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 03-27-2015 at 09:29 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    S54 M Coupe
    Are there any bearing recall kits still available? I didn't realize that they are becoming harder to find now.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexP View Post
    Are there any bearing recall kits still available? I didn't realize that they are becoming harder to find now.
    (re)Read post #6, above.

There are none (zero) left in the system; I was informed of this when I placed an order for 6 or 8 kits. The order could not be filled.

Maybe you could find one sitting on a dusty shelf in a small town BMW dealer's parts room, but all known kits are NLA.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    but all known kits are NLA.
    That's disconcerting...

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe, 2019 F31
    Although the official kit is NLA, there are several part vendors offering their own bearing recall kits consisting of the same oe
    parts.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-11410395192kt

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-...aign=postreply

-2023 Honda Odyssey Elite
    -2019 F31 Individual (M-Sport, Prem, Exec, Track)
    -2004 Honda CRV
    -2002 S54 M Coupé

My Cars
    S54 M Coupe
    (re)Read post #6, above.

There are none (zero) left in the system; I was informed of this when I placed an order for 6 or 8 kits. The order could not be filled.

Maybe you could find one sitting on a dusty shelf in a small town BMW dealer's parts room, but all known kits are NLA.

I decided to stop at my local dealer today and ask about the availability and to my surprise, they said they could get it for me.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliAgents View Post
    Although the official kit is NLA, there are several part vendors offering their own bearing recall kits consisting of the same oe
    parts.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-11410395192kt

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-...aign=postreply

Oh sure, you can still buy all the individual pieces, they're not NLA. However, BMW's E-46 M3 bearing recall kit had a retail price of $183.33. NOW do you see where I'm going with this (post #6 I alluded that the bearings alone were about $320.00, so not really that far off)?

I decided to stop at my local dealer today and ask about the availability and to my surprise, they said they could get it for me.
    Did you have them order one for you; I'm interested to see if 1) they can deliver, and 2) what the price is?

I bought, I dunno, maybe 70 or 80 of those kits (I personally did >40 cars alone) so I'd think if my dealer could still get them, they'd be glad to sell me as many as I want :

My Cars
    S54 M Coupe
    Did you have them order one for you; I'm interested to see if 1) they can deliver, and 2) what the price is?

I bought, I dunno, maybe 70 or 80 of those kits (I personally did >40 cars alone) so I'd think if my dealer could still get them, they'd be glad to sell me as many as I want :
    I had them order one kit, and the price was $279

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe, 2019 F31
    Oh sure, you can still buy all the individual pieces, they're not NLA. However, BMW's E-46 M3 bearing recall kit had a retail price of $183.33. NOW do you see where I'm going with this (post #6 I alluded that the bearings alone were about $320.00, so not really that far off)?
    Now that changes the picture with regards to the dramatic pricing differential. The kit really was a major bargain! I forget if I purchased the entire kit from you or just the coated bearings. It's been several years now, but I'll take a peek tomorrow.

-2004 Honda CRV
    -2002 S54 M Coupé

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    So this was updated 3/25/2015 (date on top left of document... unless that is just when it was being looked at) to remind people of a warranty already no longer applicable to any cars? They are all past the "6 year" part of the warranty... cool that BMW added our cars to the warranty, but shame they didn't do it 7 years ago when it would have been applicable? Am I missing something here?
    This! " you were covered, but we decided to wait to tell you until it had already expired. " LOL
    If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I had them order one kit, and the price was $279
    Please let us know if they can deliver (my dealer took my order too, only to let me know a day or so later they were NLA).

Also, the part number that it was ordered under, in case that changed...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliAgents View Post
    Now that changes the picture with regards to the dramatic pricing differential. The kit really was a major bargain! I forget if I purchased the entire kit from you or just the coated bearings. It's been several years now, but I'll take a peek tomorrow.
    I know, huh!?!?

In most cases, whole kits were sent out; the exceptions would be if somebody had already bought their own, and just swapped me for the coated bearings.

Like I said before, I've still been doing the jobs on cars, with both plain and coated bearings, but I don't keep a 1/2-doz. kits on the shelf anymore, because it ties up too much money. Nowadays, if someone wants a set of the coated bearings, it takes longer, because I first have to get them, then work the process into my schedule__THAT was why I liked to do such big batches of them at a time, because they're a pita...

And incidentally, YOU KNOW your signature pic is driving me crazy, right? I'd really like to go over your car one day; see all the subtle things you've done to it, and listen to that Mc system (I'll bring my own CDs... ) I know you've had your Coupe forever, but I don't remember now if you bought it new?
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 03-29-2015 at 08:42 AM.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe, 2019 F31
    Randy, you have e-mail =)

-2004 Honda CRV
    -2002 S54 M Coupé

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Update: BMW rep is still backing out despite new info. BMW claims that if something were actually physically wrong with either of the two cars, they'd help out. Since it's running and driving they don't want to get involved now that it's "out of warranty".

I'm moving forward with the bearing work regardless. If there's any silver lining in all of this, it's that BMW did agree to sell me all the parts wholesale AND possibly credit me in full if the old bearings are numbered per cylinder and show visible signs of wear.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Wow, that's some great news Larry.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by f50nut View Post
    Update: BMW rep is still backing out despite new info. BMW claims that if something were actually physically wrong with either of the two cars, they'd help out. Since it's running and driving they don't want to get involved now that it's "out of warranty".

I'm moving forward with the bearing work regardless. If there's any silver lining in all of this, it's that BMW did agree to sell me all the parts wholesale AND possibly credit me in full if the old bearings are numbered per cylinder and show visible signs of wear.
    In that case, you're as good as gold, speaking from experience of what I've seen...

My Cars
    '01 SG/IR S54 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by f50nut View Post
    Did you get that in writing? could you send me a copy!?! Are they making you do the repair at the BMW dealer? I would, but I honestly dont trust my BMW dealer to do it well, I think I can do it better, although it will take me longer...

Hey Randy, selling any old bearing shells?
    If they call it Tourist Season, why cant we shoot them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast