Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, i did it. I built 3 piece custom roadstars.

My Cars
    Z3 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesmechanical View Post
    Yes, I will be getting them back from for the apracing test this next week. I'll shoot you a pm for deposit information and other details.
    Hi Greg,

Any news from the plastic center for clearence test with my Alcon Mono6 355mm. BBKs ?

Best
    @Tripfcr
    1998 M Coupe
    : (Euro S50B32), Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355x32mm Front & Mono4 332x32mm Rear Full Floating BBK

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    I hope Greg is ok. No post, updates or answers to questions in quite some time now. Has anyone heard any updates on this project?

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Doesn't he run and AC&R shop... beginning of spring/summer, he's probably slammed busy with his 9-5 (I hope)

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Yep. Owns an HVAC company. Busy time off the year.

/.randy

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    HVAC, AC&R. toe-may-toe, tah-mah-toe

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Good I say, I can't take the temptation right now. Maybe in the fall.
    We need a spy photographer to stake out Greg's house.

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    2006 JCW Mini Cooper S
    IMG_3155.jpgIMG_3156.jpgNext pics posted will be with tires mounted and installed on Steve's car...
    Last edited by meshwerks; 07-21-2015 at 08:16 PM.

2006 JCW Mini Cooper S, sunroof delete, Alta CAI, Alta crank and supercharger pulleys, M7 Ultimate Stage III Suspension,
    M7 Direct Flow Intercooler Base, M7 Exhaust Heat Shield, M7 Oil Catch Can, Akebono brake pads

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Quite possibly the best looking wheels for an ///M of all times.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    GT40R Turbo M Coupe, 71 Datsun VG30 510 "AKASmurf"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    Quite possibly the best looking wheels for an ///M of all times.
    Yes, I would agree. But I am a bit biased.

This whole thing has been such a long process, but finally the first set is done and finished, I should see them within the next week. When the website goes live, we will be in business. Until then, this is just a personal project/venture. Life is so busy, along with the booming HVAC business, Family time, and just a few months ago, I received the opportunity to the new local Scout Master to 30 boys (wft seriously, like I have time). You only live once, and with 4 boys, its time to pay it forward and spend some time with them outdoors.

Its all very exciting, life is so full of amazing things, family, friends, business, and now this new venture with Kevin. We are both over the moon. Its going to be an emotional thing when these wheels are on, rolling, and smoking. Against all odds, its happened. I am pleased with the Silver finish. In the next week or so, we should have pics, videos, and in detail about the potential to purchase this wheel design for your own projects. I appreciate the patience of everyone, as its been a long process. It may not have been enjoyable for all of you, but at the pace Kevin and I have approached this at, its been enjoyable, doing it when we have time. We know things are going to change once this becomes a little more than just a personal project.

1999 M coupe, Black/Kyalami Orange, Sunroof Delete; GT4088R turbo, 610 WHP @ 22PSI Pump Gas; 2.79 Gearing; TCK D/A's; Forgelines 19x9 et38 w/265 30's; 19x11.5 et19 w/305 30's. Brembo GT Brakes; Race Logic Traction Control.

1971 Datsun 510: High Compression VG34e, CAI,Fuji Blue, GC C/O's; system, Penultimate Rear Crossmember R160 lsd 3.70, cv axels; CCW LM16's 16 x 7.5/8.5 w/215 40 and 245 35 T1R's.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    I this real life?! Those are amazing! Bravo, gents. It's been a pleasure watching this happen, despite the naysayers. One would be very fortunate to have a set of these on their M!
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    00 Mshoe

Bravo good sir. Bravo!

Glad this dream came true

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Its all very exciting, life is so full of amazing things, family, friends, business, and now this new venture with Kevin. We are both over the moon. Its going to be an emotional thing when these wheels are on, rolling, and smoking. Against all odds, its happened. I am pleased with the Silver finish. In the next week or so, we should have pics, videos, and in detail about the potential to purchase this wheel design for your own projects. I appreciate the patience of everyone, as its been a long process. It may not have been enjoyable for all of you, but at the pace Kevin and I have approached this at, its been enjoyable, doing it when we have time. We know things are going to change once this becomes a little more than just a personal project.
    Nice work. Very nice. Care to share the specs/source of the silver finish? Looks Hypersilver-y to me, and if another opportunity doesn't pan out, I may opt for a similar powdercoat finish for my Roadstars.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Oh yes. God those are awesome.

-Todd

My Cars
    Yellow Pants
    Bravo.

My Cars
    Z3 M Coupe

Hi Greg,

Any news from the plastic center for clearence test with my Alcon Mono6 355mm. BBKs ?

Best
    @Tripfcr
    1998 M Coupe
    : (Euro S50B32), Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355x32mm Front & Mono4 332x32mm Rear Full Floating BBK

My Cars
    Mazdaspeed3, '99 M Coup
    It's... soo... beautiful...

Sign me up for some FAT lipped 18's!!!!

Seriously, been lurking for a while in this thread and the results couldn't look any better.

My Cars
    No, at this I am just focusing on getting this stuff done. I am overwhelmed with a bit much of everything. I will have those out to you before we go public with these wheels so you can make a decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I this real life?! Those are amazing! Bravo, gents. It's been a pleasure watching this happen, despite the naysayers. One would be very fortunate to have a set of these on their M!
    Thank you Jeremy, you support has been great. This has been seemingly impossible, but the wheels are shipped. its going to be something emotional when they show up. Like a dream that turns into a reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hexagone View Post
    Bravo.
    From someone highly qualified. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by partymarty View Post
    It's... soo... beautiful...

Sign me up for some FAT lipped 18's!!!!

Seriously, been lurking for a while in this thread and the results couldn't look any better.
    19's first, 18's are coming next. Sandwich mount, very unique, but necessary. Its going to be likely my favorite.

- - - Updated - - -

Now for some really fun stuff, while the wheels are in the air somewhere between LA and Salt Lake City...

THIS SHOT SHOWS A UNIQUE LOOK (INNER RIM HALVES GOT FULL POLISHED, BY ACCIDENT, SOON TO GET SOME PLASTIDIP WHEN THEY SHOW UP, A BIT TOO MUCH BLING, BUT AN INTERESTING PERSPECTIVE. THIS IS SET NUMBER ONE. PLEASE COMPARE TO THE UPDATED BACK SIDE DETAILING.

THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE BEEN WORKING ON IN OUR SPARE TIME. ADDITIONAL BACK SIDE DETAILING, POCKETING, AND LARGER HOLES ON THE OUTER BOLT FLANGE TO ALLOW FOR THE ASSEMBLY NUTS TO BE MORE RECESSED. THIS WILL SAVE SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT, WHILE MAINTAINING THE SAME STRENGTH. I HAVE SEVERAL SETS OF CENTERS NOW BEING FINISHED IN VARIOUS FINISHES. FROM BRUSHED ANODIZED, TO FULL BLACK CHROME CENTER, LIPS, AND HARDWARE.

TRYING TO GET THE CENTER WEIGHTS BELOW THE 8LB MARK, MAKING FOR A WHEEL THAT IS SUB 19 LBS FOR A 19X9, AND SUB 22 LBS FOR A 19X11.5. The additional cost was not even worth mentioning. The machinist has been amazing once we got over some random hurdles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BMWBergy View Post
    Nice work. Very nice. Care to share the specs/source of the silver finish? Looks Hypersilver-y to me, and if another opportunity doesn't pan out, I may opt for a similar powdercoat finish for my Roadstars.
    I told the finisher this: I want a silver, not a metallic silver. Very glossy. I want the wheels to look like liquid metal. I left it 100% to him. I love it. The silver, with the deep contours of the wheel allow the bright silver to give some dark shadows. I love the liquid silver on the K58/K59 Kinesis wheels. On the opposite spectrum, I will be doing a all black chrome wheel, it will be interesting to see how the turn out and look.

1999 M coupe, Black/Kyalami Orange, Sunroof Delete; GT4088R turbo, 610 WHP @ 22PSI Pump Gas; 2.79 Gearing; TCK D/A's; Forgelines 19x9 et38 w/265 30's; 19x11.5 et19 w/305 30's. Brembo GT Brakes; Race Logic Traction Control.

1971 Datsun 510: High Compression VG34e, CAI,Fuji Blue, GC C/O's; system, Penultimate Rear Crossmember R160 lsd 3.70, cv axels; CCW LM16's 16 x 7.5/8.5 w/215 40 and 245 35 T1R's.

My Cars
    z3
    Love this. These are still the best wheels I have ever seen with no qualifications to that statement. Not the best for the Z3, not the best for the BMW... just the best wheels I've ever seen. Glad to see some progress being made on this and looking forward to seeing pictures on your car.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    ‘97 M3/4/5 ‘99 M Coupe
    is this you too?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDangles View Post
    is this you too?
    Lol, that's an early photoshop that someone did on the original thread that hit 1000 posts and was closed. It's amazing how much they look some of these early photoshops, but even better. These wheels may look amazing on several models. Most of all I'm curious to fit them on a e92m3, or a e60m5, and anything more modern.

That photoshop goes to show that it's not like I had some monopoly on this idea, and how it should or would look. It was only after helping a forum member spec his HRE wheels, and then after being done he said "it just sucks there isn't a 3 piece version of the roadstar". It was that moment I had to do something, because I had always thought that.

It's was unbelievable how difficult it was. So many people attempted it, people with big time experience, but it was all fail until I met Kevin. Chip Foose and Kevin shared a desk at Art Center College of design, crazy stuff has come out of there, and I think this is significant. Even having a physical template of the oem wheel, for dozens of talented and skilled people, digitizing it, then artfully sculpting it, then translating that to solid works proved impossible for all of them except for Kevin.

It's very validating to have nothing but positive and great comments here, as this could have been something of a compromise, loosing sight of what the aesthetic goal was. I can hardly sleep knowing these wheels are no longer digital, but are now in boxes en route.
    Last edited by jonesmechanical; 07-24-2015 at 02:44 AM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Love this. These are still the best wheels I have ever seen with no qualifications to that statement. Not the best for the Z3, not the best for the BMW... just the best wheels I've ever seen. Glad to see some progress being made on this and looking forward to seeing pictures on your car.
    I'll take your 19,000+ posts as qualification enough. Wow.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster

I have been content to admire the work that went into this project as a curiosity, but I am finding myself trying harder and harder to find ways to justify buying a set now. These things are just awesome.

Awesome.

My Cars
    ‘97 M3/4/5 ‘99 M Coupe
    Photoshop, eh? Got my neck. They look dope. These might be on the top of my list for best looking wheels.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    So would it be possible to get those cast instead of machined, to reduce the costs?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    So would it be possible to get those cast instead of machined, to reduce the costs?
    Huge up front cost to cast. It's a limited market, and there isn't a need for it unless someone is modifying their car, since the whole idea is to have a factory look. Big brakes necessitate it, as do huge tires for the boost junkies. The aesthetic is perfection. And if someone just wants that, they will just have to pay, or wait for some Chinese hack to knock it off. Which would be a compliment, but I have no interest in big, heavy replica wheels.

- - - Updated - - -

Today, July 24th 2015. Officially the day I beheld the fruits of my labors of a life long dream. Bummer is, its "pioneer day" today, the State of Utah's largest holiday. Think 4th of July on steroids for Utah. No tire shops open. But an easy day to remember. I wonder if Brigham Young was as excited to see the Salt Lake Valley as I was to see these wheels. Its been a much longer journey.

Cel phone pics. Factory Center Caps fit perfect. These are the stepped lip 19's in 19x9 front, and 19x11.5 rear. These have standard hardware and don't have any back side machining. I will weight them later today. Without the additional machining and standard hardware, I suspect they are 25lbs ish and 21 lbs ish. The silver is stunning, better than any silver I've seen in person on a wheel. It looks like liquid metal.

Last edited by jonesmechanical; 07-24-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast