Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo 6.0 E39

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Josh, have you seen a significant decrease in temps since the new radiator? I need to do that next. I am always afraid to use my A/C when sitting at a light etc.
    Yes, very noticeable. Sitting at a light in 97* temps it creaps up slowly but never over 208, and I'm running on one Malibu fan because the other is burned up.
    I can do 2-3 mile full throttle pulls and barely hit 210.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Freak View Post
    I wouldn't trust the stock rad on a boosted setup, maybe an aluminum version of the stock. I run a dual core Dewitts rad now, sitting in 100* traffic with my measly 450hp was pushing it for the stock rad. You could knotch the core support or get a narrower rad but thicker and build custom mounts
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to use C&R radiator and the Lincoln fan that was in the E36. It's 26" wide tank to tank. This gives me some room to move the radiator to the drivers side, as the frame rails are wider in this car.

Disclaimer on the picture:
    It looks redneck as hell. I was at the point of getting pissed, as I couldn't hold the radiator/ fan assembly and bench press the turbo at the same time. I've seen this done on other builds and laughed... Until today when I tried it!

The ratchet straps are suspending the turbo from a 2x2 and holding the radiator to the core support. It's weird how much easier it was to check downpipe clearance, make sure radiator hoses clear, etc.

The turbo does fit on the passenger side, but the a/c compressor had to be removed. There wasn't quite enough room for the turbo and compressor. The compressor was also barely touching the a/c module. I had high hopes for that setup to work, but that's how this game goes.

The 4" downpipe clears but it's close. An oval pipe might be a better option, but round or oval will work. It will definitely require heat coating and wrapping, as it is close to the fan, hoses, balancer, etc.

I'm on the hunt for a driver side a/c mounting solution. My vision is to mount the alternator and a/c pump in the drivers side. The belt driven p/s pump will be replaced with an electric p/s pump. Hopefully this all pans out. The goal is to retain all of the creature comforts.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Note: picture is borrowed from Novak's website

After the guy from LSbrackets.com didn't return my calls, I decided to contact Novak out of Utah. They do a ton of LS swaps into Jeeps. I spoke to a sales rep that advised he didn't know the width from the engine center line to the widest part of the a/c compressor when installed, but he assured me that it isn't as wide as the Hollley bracket that I currently have. This should resolve the compressor touching the ABS module, as the compressor barely touches. A difference of 1/2" would be enough. The turbo placement is still going to depend on the final resting place of the compressor, tensioner, etc. If this works, the existing Corvette alternator and p/s pump will be retained. To help free up some room, a Taurus fan was fit to the radiator. This change alone gained a significant amount of room between the engine and the cooling fan. The E36 worked well with the 22x19 cheapo radiator and the Taurus fan. The change to the Taurus fan dropped temps ~30* from the previous setup. It worked amazing with the 26x19 C&R radiator & MK VIII fan- never got hot enough to turn on the high speed (temps were the same as the 22x19 radiator and Taurus fan). Logically, the C&R radiator and Taurus fan should work just fine, with the fan on high it should be ok with the a/c on.

Fabrication of the turbo kit will start soon. After waiting several weeks, I just go the email that the flange is out for delivery. It "got lost in the mail" like several other parts. I've never had so much bad luck with ordering parts. My fingers are crossed for good luck on the a/c bracket. It needs to get here asap and fit! Wish me luck!

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Good luck!
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    The Novak a/c bracket got here in 2 days, looks awesome and it clears the ABS module with plenty of room to spare!

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    We are making progress!
    Last edited by unnatrl; 06-20-2015 at 07:06 PM.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Stainless turbo heat shield turned out amazing. I came across the idea while looking for options on heat wrapping the exhaust housing. Believe it or not, total cost is under $20.00 including the bowl, poster board, tape, markers and a thin cutoff wheel.

It's a stainless bowl I picked up at Walmart. When it's all trimmed out you would never know!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Sweet work on that heat shield!

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    4" down pipe fitted and tacked. It's past the motor mount and the rack. What a pain in the @ss. It fits, barely.

Also picked up a second wastegate and a flex joint. Each bank has its own gate. There will not be any issues controlling the boost pressure on this car.

I'm missing one wastegate flange. As soon as it arrives and is installed the turbo kit is getting painted with high heat paint and then wrapped with the DEI lava wrap.

I'm debating whether recirculating the gates to the down pipe close to where they are or running a separate 2.5" pipe on the drivers side then tying it back in near the transmission is a better idea. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by unnatrl; 06-27-2015 at 05:30 PM.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Both wastegates and flanges installed. It's still a toss up on how to run the dump pipes. Im probably going to "y" them together into a single 2.5" pipe and run it down the drivers side and tie it all together behind the transmission.

Other progress includes finally getting pasoft 1.4 to work so the cluster can be recoded. It was a sweet victory when the program actually connected and let me program things. It took over a month to get it to work- issues with pins not being soldered on the hardware, my laptop crashing, having to buy a copy of XP (product key was invalid), etc. Anyway, my original cluster had the typical issue with the pixels being almost unreadable. Replacement cluster #3 is scheduled to be here on Saturday (the last 2 had same issue). The pixels are supposed to be in perfect condition. 3rd time is the charm... Right? :-)

The last few things that are being worked on are the MR2 electric p/s pump and air filter setup. The MR2 pump was delivered, it was damaged when I pulled it out of the box. This was a huge let down. The seller has yet to respond. On the air filter setup, a 5" 90* elbow is too large. It touches the back of the drivers side headlight (not good with the self leveling lights). I have a 5"-4" coupler on the way. It will drop the pipe size to 4" right at the turbo. Hoping it will clear!

My Cars
    xx,xx,xx
    looking good!!!!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    That's amazing that you can fit a 4" downpipe!

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    That's amazing that you can fit a 4" downpipe!
    Agreed! It wasn't fun. Fabricating the downpipe from the turbo to past the motor mount took about 6 hours. It had to be perfect to fit!

My Cars
    xx,xx,xx
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    Agreed! It wasn't fun. Fabricating the downpipe from the turbo to past the motor mount took about 6 hours. It had to be perfect to fit!
    now thats a lot of time for fabing, but it will pay off in the end.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    After spending what seemed like hours researching and reading every E39 LS wiring thread out there, the mess is figured out. I'm going to rewire the fuel pump relay in the trunk so that it is triggered off of a 12v input instead of using another relay to trigger it. The DME relay will be triggered by its own relay. The 12v cranking wire just about drove me insane. I couldn't find the 12v when cranking wire to save my life. There was mention in a few threads of this same issue, but I couldn't find what people had done to resolve it. It finally hit me- the EWS was disabling the starter wire. A quick jump of the (2) large black wires at the EWS module under the dash gave me 12v on the only wire that previously had no power or ground in the white/ clear plug in the ebox. It should have hit me sooner when I got pasoft to work and had EWS errors. On to the coolant temp and tach wiring.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    That's odd. I never had an issue with EWS, never had to jump any wires on that module. I was just able to find the right wire in the e-box. Had to make sure the clutch was pressed, though. Anyhow, glad you got it resolved James.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
    That's odd. I never had an issue with EWS, never had to jump any wires on that module. I was just able to find the right wire in the e-box. Had to make sure the clutch was pressed, though. Anyhow, glad you got it resolved James.
    I thought so too. With all the E39 swaps on the road mine seems to be the only one that has done this. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my car going from a 6 speed to an auto. I didn't touch anything but the big wires on the EWS module and the problem was solved.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    This is VERY interesting about the EWS! I was thinking from reading threads on here that if I switched over to a standalone (with the factory engine) I would definitely have to wire around the EWS. Maybe not true after all...

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    This is VERY interesting about the EWS! I was thinking from reading threads on here that if I switched over to a standalone (with the factory engine) I would definitely have to wire around the EWS. Maybe not true after all...
    You may have to bypass the module for the starter wires like I did. It doesn't make sense how some cars don't have an issue and others do. Mine had EWS errors when I scanned it. It makes sense that it would with the factory DME removed. I also bought that car as a non-runner. Who knows what the previous owner did when they pulled the 6 speed out.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    It's cool that you could just bypass the EWS that easily! All of the other "wire arounds" I've seen were a bit more involved than that.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    It's cool that you could just bypass the EWS that easily! All of the other "wire arounds" I've seen were a bit more involved than that.
    If you are using a stock DME this isn't going to work without having the EWS disabled in the computer as well. It is possible though. I had it done on my obd2 E36. It requires the same modification to the EWS module/ starter signal wire.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Gotcha. I'd be okay in that respect, as I'm thinking of replacing the DME with a standalone. I've learned a lot about how that would work out from you LS swap guys!

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    The 5" to 4" adapter at the inlet of the turbo worked out perfectly! I swear it was planned this way ;-)

In other news, the 3rd instrument cluster was delivered today also. There are no missing pixels. I'm so relieved! The mileage is very close to what my car has (cluster is slightly higher), so that's not a huge concern. It's time to swap the gauge rings and break out the red sharpie for the needles.

My Cars
    xx,xx,xx
    Holy cow that is close...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    The 5" to 4" adapter at the inlet of the turbo worked out perfectly! I swear it was planned this way ;-)

In other news, the 3rd instrument cluster was delivered today also. There are no missing pixels. I'm so relieved! The mileage is very close to what my car has (cluster is slightly higher), so that's not a huge concern. It's time to swap the gauge rings and break out the red sharpie for the needles.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by tonytone4143 View Post
    Holy cow that is close...lol
    It is close, but the picture makes it look closer than it really is. ;-)

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast