Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Turbo 6.0 E39

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster
    I am about to put 275's up front too. What do you run in the rear? I know Clay tried to fit a 315 and it was a struggle. I just got another set of stock wheels that need a lot of work but I am going to get the rears widened. Not sure If I should go 10.0 or 10.5. the 10.0 is tempting because I plan to run the Toyo R888R and the 295's are one of the cheapest ones.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Turbo 6.0 E39

Quote Originally Posted by get dustd View Post
    I am about to put 275's up front too. What do you run in the rear? I know Clay tried to fit a 315 and it was a struggle. I just got another set of stock wheels that need a lot of work but I am going to get the rears widened. Not sure If I should go 10.0 or 10.5. the 10.0 is tempting because I plan to run the Toyo R888R and the 295's are one of the cheapest ones.
    I run the 275's in the rear as well. Price had a lot to do with the selection at the time. Widening the rear wheels to accommodate a 305 or 315 is on the list. My car doesn't have much issue with traction right now, so it would be more for the aesthetic value. A BMW with a set of steam rollers out back is just badass. The subtle mods like this really set a car apart from others. Clay's car looks amazing. In my opinion, the trouble he went through was well worth it.

Any luck on your powersteering issue?
    Last edited by unnatrl; 04-17-2017 at 04:27 PM.

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster
    The pump solved the problem. This one has a bit of a whine to it but much better than no P.S. Steering feels okay with the stock front tire size. I think the 275 up front will make it better. My car is super quiet and really nice driving around. Just a rumble from the rear inside the car. No drone at all. The resonator I used was a Vibrant 4" ultra quiet. Here is a quick video...Let me know how yours turns out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mALF4xMkTU4

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    The pump solved the problem. This one has a bit of a whine to it but much better than no P.S. Steering feels okay with the stock front tire size. I think the 275 up front will make it better. My car is super quiet and really nice driving around. Just a rumble from the rear inside the car. No drone at all. The resonator I used was a Vibrant 4" ultra quiet. Here is a quick video...Let me know how yours turns out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mALF4xMkTU4
    That's great news. The car sounds good. I would be happy with that!

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Turbo 6.0 E39

Exhaust is pretty much done. Ran the 4" from the downpipe and split it into dual 2.5" into the OEM resonator. I was after something quiet, definitely achieved that. Stands to reason that it would sound like a stock M5. The trunk floor still needs to be patched up so it can be road tested.

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster
    Where did you split it to the 2.5's? My 4" goes right into a big flex pipe right before my trans xmember. It sits really low, I think I am going to have to do something different with that. I dynoed yesterday but my wastegate would not stay closed. I am going to put a backpressure sensor on it to see what my pressure ratio is. It will only hold 8 lbs but made 670 to the tires like that so that is a good sign.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Where did you split it to the 2.5's? My 4" goes right into a big flex pipe right before my trans xmember. It sits really low, I think I am going to have to do something different with that. I dynoed yesterday but my wastegate would not stay closed. I am going to put a backpressure sensor on it to see what my pressure ratio is. It will only hold 8 lbs but made 670 to the tires like that so that is a good sign.
    The split is just prior to where the exhaust goes under the fuel tank. I've struggled with the 4" hanging low as well. My problem area is from the firewall to the trans crossmember. There isn't all that much room. An oval 4" pipe would help tremendously. There is about 3.25" of ground clearance right now. My car isn't going to be lowered. It was acceptable on most speed bumps prior to swapping the mufflers, I expect it to be the same now.

670 on 8lbs is awesome. If I recall correctly, your are running a manual trans. I wonder what the difference in power will be in comparison to an auto.

I'm curious to know if you are seeing a back pressure issue. Is there a boost controller of any sort putting pressure on the dome side of the wastegate? It would help counteract a high back pressure issue, obviously to a point.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    An oval 4" pipe would help tremendously.
    I bought a oval piece of 304ss off Ebay to make my exhaust tips. The company presses round tube into oval themselves so they could probably make you a single piece that transitions from round to oval and back to round again. PM me if you want details.

S.F.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by StolenFox View Post
    I bought a oval piece of 304ss off Ebay to make my exhaust tips. The company presses round tube into oval themselves so they could probably make you a single piece that transitions from round to oval and back to round again. PM me if you want details.

S.F.
    Nice! I will keep this in mind.

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    The split is just prior to where the exhaust goes under the fuel tank. I've struggled with the 4" hanging low as well. My problem area is from the firewall to the trans crossmember. There isn't all that much room. An oval 4" pipe would help tremendously. There is about 3.25" of ground clearance right now. My car isn't going to be lowered. It was acceptable on most speed bumps prior to swapping the mufflers, I expect it to be the same now.

670 on 8lbs is awesome. If I recall correctly, your are running a manual trans. I wonder what the difference in power will be in comparison to an auto.

I'm curious to know if you are seeing a back pressure issue. Is there a boost controller of any sort putting pressure on the dome side of the wastegate? It would help counteract a high back pressure issue, obviously to a point.
    Yea, I have a giant flex pipe between the firewall and trans so I am right at 3". So far it has only been an issue getting over some medians. The flex pipe is really nice but I cannot fit it anywhere else. It is huge. I was thinking about doing two 3" flex pipes side by side but making the merges will be tough. If your converter locks it shouldn't be too bad with the power loss difference. I would guess I am at about 15 or 16% loss and you might be 18%. Remember I am on the corn juice too. And yea, we put a lot of pressure to the top of the gate and it made almost no difference. I have a T4 1.10AR housing so if my pressure ratio is over 2:1 that will be the first thing to change. My 60mm gate had an advertised 10lb spring in it and it only made 3lbs. I added a second spring to it and it only made 5lbs more. The thing that worries me is the fact that adding pressure on top did not help. We will see this weekend what my back pressure numbers are...

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Turbo 6.0 E39

Yea, I have a giant flex pipe between the firewall and trans so I am right at 3". So far it has only been an issue getting over some medians. The flex pipe is really nice but I cannot fit it anywhere else. It is huge. I was thinking about doing two 3" flex pipes side by side but making the merges will be tough. If your converter locks it shouldn't be too bad with the power loss difference. I would guess I am at about 15 or 16% loss and you might be 18%. Remember I am on the corn juice too. And yea, we put a lot of pressure to the top of the gate and it made almost no difference. I have a T4 1.10AR housing so if my pressure ratio is over 2:1 that will be the first thing to change. My 60mm gate had an advertised 10lb spring in it and it only made 3lbs. I added a second spring to it and it only made 5lbs more. The thing that worries me is the fact that adding pressure on top did not help. We will see this weekend what my back pressure numbers are...
    Ahhh the corn. That's a huge help. It's not available anywhere around here.

After watching a buddy of mine have boost control issues with a single gate, I went straight for a dual 44mm setup. So far, boost control is the one thing I have zero issues with. That being said, the first approach was going to be a T4 1.10 based turbo. My gut feeling told me it might have BP issues on the 6.0, that's the reason it was swapped to the T6. It seems like some people have good luck with them (T4) and others don't. Hopefully the v-band housing doesn't cause any issues on my junker!

What wheels sizes are on the exhaust/ compressor of your turbo?
    Last edited by unnatrl; 05-03-2017 at 12:15 PM.

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster
    80 compressor 87 turbine with a ported compressor housing. I think as long as its mounted solid you should be okay. I am on the dyno again the 11th so hopefully my 3 stiff springs can get 10 or 12 lbs out of this thing for my half mile race.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    80 compressor 87 turbine with a ported compressor housing. I think as long as its mounted solid you should be okay. I am on the dyno again the 11th so hopefully my 3 stiff springs can get 10 or 12 lbs out of this thing for my half mile race.
    Post your results. Looking forward to them.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Finally got to drive the car last night! Still has a huge hole in the trunk... but the exhaust is a ton better. There is zero drone. It's so quiet and nice to drive that you almost forget what's been done to it. Boost is down 2psi compared to the full 4", on the other hand it makes that 5psi much quicker. No feedback on the cutout yet, still have to weld a bung into the charge piping for the vacuum/ boost line. As a bonus, the power steering feels great.

The cooling fan has developed a ton of noise, not sure what the deal is. Always dealing with the 2 steps forward and one step backwards curse. Thankfully I have an extra motor. Would have been nice to swap it while the car was apart...

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Sealing up the trunk is almost done. Transmission coolers had to be moved because of the additional passenger side muffler. The cooler lines have to be modified a bit to accommodate this. Nothing too crazy.

There's been an exhaust leak when starting the car. I went back over all the v-bands and found both manifolds and both wastegates had loosened up. It was enough of a difference to raise the boost 1.4lbs. Total difference with the exhaust change is less than 1psi drop. The drivability gained at the cost of 1lb of boost is well worth the trade.

My neighbor has a modified C5 Corvette and has been asking for a ride. Finally took him tonight. He conceded that the Vette would get destroyed. He's now talking about a turbo kit on his car.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Awesome! We need some vids!

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by screamin88 View Post
    Awesome! We need some vids!
    I will see if I can get something soon.

My Cars
    2002 353I
    im green with envy. I cant wait to drive mine. I don't think it will be long but I have a feeling I will have plenty of bugs to work out.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxBodyRacing View Post
    im green with envy. I cant wait to drive mine. I don't think it will be long but I have a feeling I will have plenty of bugs to work out.
    There's a high probability, but it's part of the deal. Get that thing running!

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

My video turned out to be a still pic. Either way, nice to have it put back together.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Is that your engine or transmission cooler hanging from the bottom of the core support?

S.F.

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster
    Looks great man. love the engine covers. I want to try and figure some out too but my aftermarket rails will make it tricky. I cracked the front diff mount on my car, be weary of that it looks like a serious weak point. I think the auto will help a lot with that but still keep an eye on it. I believe clay broke that subframe somewhere else too. That thing is going to get seriously reinforced soon on my car. I think I am going to sell my M5 diff and axles too and go 8.8 ford with DSS axles. I am up to 850whp 5200rpm 800tq in the low 4k range at 17lbs. Need more wastegate spring to go higher but I think I am going to stop there for the summer and get all the other bugs worked out. Are you driving that thing yet or still finishing it up? How is the tune looking now? Something interesting I learned is my left bank runs leaner than the right and that is the case on all stock intake LS cars says my tuner. My plugs left to right read completely different.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by StolenFox View Post
    Is that your engine or transmission cooler hanging from the bottom of the core support?

S.F.
    It's a powesteering cooler.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Looks great man. love the engine covers. I want to try and figure some out too but my aftermarket rails will make it tricky. I cracked the front diff mount on my car, be weary of that it looks like a serious weak point. I think the auto will help a lot with that but still keep an eye on it. I believe clay broke that subframe somewhere else too. That thing is going to get seriously reinforced soon on my car. I think I am going to sell my M5 diff and axles too and go 8.8 ford with DSS axles. I am up to 850whp 5200rpm 800tq in the low 4k range at 17lbs. Need more wastegate spring to go higher but I think I am going to stop there for the summer and get all the other bugs worked out. Are you driving that thing yet or still finishing it up? How is the tune looking now? Something interesting I learned is my left bank runs leaner than the right and that is the case on all stock intake LS cars says my tuner. My plugs left to right read completely different.
    The covers definitely make people scratch their heads!

That mount makes me nervous. It's been ok so far. The auto definitely dampens the shock that the rear diff receives. You are a solid 250+ hp more than where mine is at right now (very nice btw!!!). After melting that piston twice on the last engine I'm going to take it easy, at least for a while. The boost controller isn't setup yet, will probably set it at 10-11lbs. To go more than that a second fuel pump and the associated lines will probably be needed. It's a single 450lph in tank with -8 ptfe lines (they actually measure closer to -6 size on the i.d.

I am driving it now, but they are short trips. Still need to align it, finish the a/c, modify trans cooler lines (was only able to connect one after relocating them) etc. The transmission is getting the HD2 kit soon as well. It's working fine, but the increased holding capacity gives room for future mods if I decide to push it.

The tune is always a work in progress. I'm not having issues with one bank being leaner than another. The plugs have been surprisingly even. I do have 2% extra fuel and -1* of timing on #7 and #8. They are the ones that commonly have problems. Both times, #7 went on the previous engine.

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster
    What is your AC setup? What condenser etc. and who made the lines? I want to tackle that soon. It is about to start warming up here.

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast