My Cars
    2 Boosted,1 more left to
    Did you ditch the twin turbo idea?

E39 LSX SWAP PARTS FORSALE

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by 1NAWTY5 View Post
    Did you ditch the twin turbo idea?
    Nope! I'm hoping to order the turbos in the next 2-3 weeks.

Trying to decide what exhaust manifolds/ headers to go with has been a pain in the a$$. I was going to try the CX racing GTO headers, but I'm not confident the passenger side would clear the a/c compressor (R4 with Holley bracket). An OE Corvette compressor *might* fit in the stock location, but that takes away valuable down pipe space. The truck manifolds actually clear with no major obstacles and down pipes shouldn't be too difficult to get past the mounts, rack, etc. After building an E36, this car has MILES of room. The final location of the turbos is still undecided, but my intentions are somewhere behind the headlights on each side. I've been using a T76 T4 frame turbo as a mock up piece. There isn't a huge amount of room, but there should be enough. The twins will be T70 or T72. If this doesn't work, I may try to put them between the engine and the cooling fan (prob not enough room for this idea without changing the current Lincoln MK VIII fan to something thinner).

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    I know the DSC WILL NOT work with the LS swap, but I need advice regarding the DSC pump that sits on the drivers side.

It would make life easier to relocate or remove the DSC pump. Right now, there is a hard line that comes from the right side of the master cylinder to the DSC pump, a hard line that exits the pump and returns to the area near the master cylinder, and terminates with a rubber line (not connected to anything). The previous owner pulled the master cylinder reservoir, pedal tree, slave cylinder, etc before I bought it. I replaced the master cylinder reservoir and pedal tree with parts from an automatic car, but I don't know where the line is supposed to go.

Will the ABS still work if this motor/ hard lines/etc is removed?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    I know the DSC WILL NOT work with the LS swap, but I need advice regarding the DSC pump that sits on the drivers side.

It would make life easier to relocate or remove the DSC pump. Right now, there is a hard line that comes from the right side of the master cylinder to the DSC pump, a hard line that exits the pump and returns to the area near the master cylinder, and terminates with a rubber line (not connected to anything). The previous owner pulled the master cylinder reservoir, pedal tree, slave cylinder, etc before I bought it. I replaced the master cylinder reservoir and pedal tree with parts from an automatic car, but I don't know where the line is supposed to go.

Will the ABS still work if this motor/ hard lines/etc is removed?
    Nope, that is your abs pump as well as the middle man between the wheel speed sensor and cluster, which drives the speedometer.

You could relocate/remove it. You would have no abs or speedo if you chose to remove it

My Cars
    BMW M3 Sedan
    It's really a big project and a huge investment on your car, please update some of the new progress in your car?

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Freak View Post
    Nope, that is your abs pump as well as the middle man between the wheel speed sensor and cluster, which drives the speedometer. You could relocate/remove it. You would have no abs or speedo if you chose to remove it
    I need to clarify...
    http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5mm9k7hx.jpg
    This is what I understand to be the DSC pump that is located on the drivers side. I'm confused, as some E39's (M5 is one example of a pic I saw) don't seem to have the pump (unless it's in a very different location). The pictures of 6 cylinder cars I have seen seem to have this same part but it's closer to the firewall.
    http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/...pswup5neqj.jpg
    I know this (what I know to be ABS module) must stay for ABS and speedo to function.
    http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/...pssehpfx6w.jpg
    If the part in calling the "DSC pump" must stay, can you advise where this rubber line connects to?

Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by Winspear View Post
    It's really a big project and a huge investment on your car, please update some of the new progress in your car?
    I update the thread when I can. As you stated, it takes a lot of time and $ to do this :-)

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    I need to clarify...
    http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5mm9k7hx.jpg
    This is what I understand to be the DSC pump that is located on the drivers side. I'm confused, as some E39's (M5 is one example of a pic I saw) don't seem to have the pump (unless it's in a very different location). The pictures of 6 cylinder cars I have seen seem to have this same part but it's closer to the firewall.
    http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/...pswup5neqj.jpg
    I know this (what I know to be ABS module) must stay for ABS and speedo to function.
    http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/...pssehpfx6w.jpg
    If the part in calling the "DSC pump" must stay, can you advise where this rubber line connects to?

Thanks for the help!
    That is the abs pre-charge pump, I seem to have been one of the only ones that's had that.
    As far as I know, that is the pump for the abs module. I couldn't find any definitive answer on if it could be removed, so I relocated mine.

That rubber line could have gone to the clutch reservoir, I didn't have that line on my car.
    Last edited by Jesus Freak; 05-05-2015 at 09:58 AM.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    That is the abs pre-charge pump, I seem to have been one of the only ones that's had that. As far as I know, that is the pump for the abs module. I couldn't find any definitive answer on if it could be removed, so I relocated mine. That rubber line could have gone to the clutch reservoir, I didn't have that line on my car.
    It figures that I would get an odd ball car! Thanks for the info.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    I too had that pump in the 528i and relocated it forward a few inches. The M5 does have that pump; it's located on the driver's side wheel well just above the horns.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    I too had that pump in the 528i and relocated it forward a few inches. The M5 does have that pump; it's located on the driver's side wheel well just above the horns.
    Gotcha. I wasn't looking for it in that location. Does yours have the rubber line near the master cylinder? My master has 2 nipples that are essentially capped off. I assume I can use one of them as a feed line for the pump.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Gotcha. I wasn't looking for it in that location. Does yours have the rubber line near the master cylinder? My master has 2 nipples that are essentially capped off. I assume I can use one of them as a feed line for the pump.
    The capped off fittings are used to supply brake fluid to the clutch master when the car is optioned with a manual trans.
    I'm not sure the purpose of the rubber line you are referring to. I'll to check if I have it on mine.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/...psbbjxbzll.jpg
    I borrowed this pic from an eBay auction. There is a 3rd nipple that the line connects to. It's nearly impossible to see when the reservoir is in the car. The parts car my reservoir came from didn't have this line connected, but the nipple is there. Problem solved :-)

Thanks again guys!!

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    After close to a month, the front control arms I ordered on eBay finally showed up. DO NOT do business with MAC Autoparts out of New York. Their customer service was terrible. After repeated emails and phone calls to get an answer as to why I received (2) left and (2) right back control arms (duplicates if each) instead of (1) left and (1) right back and (1) left and (1) right front control arm for a total of (4) different arms I was getting nowhere. The issue was explained over and over again and nothing was resolved. It took getting very pissed and rude to be taken seriously. You have been warned!

The good news-

Front subframe, rack, steering shaft, spindles, brakes, control arms, etc are test fitted. The 6 cylinder parts bolt right into the car & the 540 brakes bolt right up to the 6 cylinder spindles. I need to figure out the headlight aiming/ ride height sensor. Realoem lists the sensor as the same between the V8 and I6 cars, but the bracket is different. Let's hope it's a straight bolt in!

While waiting for the control arms, I've been trying to get the transmission to shift properly in the M3 before the drivetrain gets pulled. It does't feel like the trans is starting in 1st gear. The trans is acting like it doesn't make enough line pressure. I've maxed out line pressure on the EZ TCU and replaced the pressure manifold on the valve body. Unfortunately, no luck. My trans builder is giving me a bone stock 4L80e to swap in and see if it works. We will see!

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    After much debate, the trigger is pulled on a turbo. I've been going back and forth on the twins vs S480 idea. After coming across a guy getting a divorce who was selling a new S480, I had to do it. One of the main concerns with the S480 has been it's rather large size. I never took into account the option of doing a T4 housing and a hybrid cover. It's substantially smaller than the standard S400 series turbo. The down pipe outlet is 4" vs 5", outlet on compressor is 2.5 vs 3.5 etc. This isn't what you would do for a max effort build, but it will work just fine for a street car that may see the track 5x a year. The shifter and boot setup I've previously posted is ordered as well. I hate waiting...

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Size comparison of the T4 based S480 vs a Turbonetics T76. I think the joke is on me... Let the games begin!

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    That's a pretty big turbo.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by hefftone View Post
    That's a pretty big turbo.
    That's no joke. It weighs about 40lbs.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Finished up a cheap instrument cluster upgrade.

The "stock" picture is borrowed from the eBay auction I won for the cluster.

Satin silver snap in gauge rings and a red sharpie marker make a nice difference!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Yes sir, did the same to my cluster and love it.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    This happened today- pics speak for themselves.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Where's the like button!?

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Where's the like button!?
    Good question!

What radiators are you guys using? I'm going to have to get very creative to make enough room for the turbo. The C&R from the E36 fits, but doesn't leave a whole lot of room. The stock radiator is much thinner and may be the ticket. The cooling capacity scares me though. Any opinions about the stock radiator being able to cool 650-700 hp?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Good question!

What radiators are you guys using? I'm going to have to get very creative to make enough room for the turbo. The C&R from the E36 fits, but doesn't leave a whole lot of room. The stock radiator is much thinner and may be the ticket. The cooling capacity scares me though. Any opinions about the stock radiator being able to cool 650-700 hp?
    I wouldn't trust the stock rad on a boosted setup, maybe an aluminum version of the stock.
    I run a dual core Dewitts rad now, sitting in 100* traffic with my measly 450hp was pushing it for the stock rad.

You could knotch the core support or get a narrower rad but thicker and build custom mounts

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Josh, have you seen a significant decrease in temps since the new radiator? I need to do that next. I am always afraid to use my A/C when sitting at a light etc.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast