Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo 6.0 E39

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    And gapped the rings?

Check this video, it's a stock engine doing 600hp. You'd be interested to see what ended up breaking!!
    https://youtu.be/AScojLj139A

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by daniels635turbo View Post
    And gapped the rings?

Check this video, it's a stock engine doing 600hp. You'd be interested to see what ended up breaking!!
    https://youtu.be/AScojLj139A
    Yes the rings were gapped. .028 on top. A touch larger on the 2nd.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Good news...

It runs. I wasn't terribly worried that it wouldn't, but it's a relief. :-)

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    Good news...

It runs. I wasn't terribly worried that it wouldn't, but it's a relief. :-)
    Excellent news, congrats! It's got to feel good knowing that you fixed it up and got off relatively easy for something that could have ended much worse. Fired mine off for the first time in the actual car yesterday (video in my thread). Similar to you in that I was confident it should work, sure was nice to twist the key and hear that roar....

Nicely done on the repair sir!

S.F.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    It seems my streak of shit luck hasn't stopped. I took the car out to do some tuning on the transmission shift points. It was going well until the misfire started again. Long story short, #7 piston is in pieces. It's a really bad day when you can see the piston rings with a bore scope. I can't help but wonder if the injector in this hole is bad. Anyway, To say this is frustrating is an understatement.
    My stepdad runs a machine shop, he has the green light to order forged components. This will probably take a while to get done, but I'm committed now.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    It seems my streak of shit luck hasn't stopped. I took the car out to do some tuning on the transmission shift points. It was going well until the misfire started again. Long story short, #7 piston is in pieces. It's a really bad day when you can see the piston rings with a bore scope. I can't help but wonder if the injector in this hole is bad. Anyway, To say this is frustrating is an understatement.
    My stepdad runs a machine shop, he has the green light to order forged components. This will probably take a while to get done, but I'm committed now.
    Ugggghh. That sucks. Like I wrote earlier, I'm impressed with how quickly you got this back up and running from the previous piston failure and I'm sure you'll do the same again. But clearly, something is amiss causing that piston to fail. Hopefully you'll get that sorted.

I know so little about forced induction. It's things like this that make me leery of messing with turbos. If/when I get to the point that my car is actually running and I've become bored with it, I'm thinking about going with one of the factory superchargers (ZL1, etc.) Won't make as much power as a turbo but seems like there's less to go wrong.

Keep us posted!

Tipsy

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    Ugggghh. That sucks. Like I wrote earlier, I'm impressed with how quickly you got this back up and running from the previous piston failure and I'm sure you'll do the same again. But clearly, something is amiss causing that piston to fail. Hopefully you'll get that sorted.

I know so little about forced induction. It's things like this that make me leery of messing with turbos. If/when I get to the point that my car is actually running and I've become bored with it, I'm thinking about going with one of the factory superchargers (ZL1, etc.) Won't make as much power as a turbo but seems like there's less to go wrong.

Keep us posted!

Tipsy
    I certainty appreciate the words of encouragement! This situation is doing a superb job of testing my patience. In reality, the new engine won't be done nearly as fast. We have a baby due in March, so disposable income is going to start getting scarce.

I would love to see you do the LSA setup on your car. It would be an absolute blast to drive. Make it a long term goal!

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Good luck on the rebuild! At least going forged will mean you don't have to turn down the boost. I'd suggest having all the injectors sonic cleaned and flow matched. This will ensure all of them are in good shape while seeing if you've got a problem with #7. Might not be a bad idea to test the injector circuit itself with a noid light to rule out an injector driver or wiring problem too.

S.F.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by StolenFox View Post
    I'd suggest having all the injectors sonic cleaned and flow matched. This will ensure all of them are in good shape while seeing if you've got a problem with #7. Might not be a bad idea to test the injector circuit itself with a noid light to rule out an injector driver or wiring problem too.

S.F.
    this.
    you have plenty of time to get this done while the new engine is going together.
    and peace of mind goes a long way with a high-hp car.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    this.
    you have plenty of time to get this done while the new engine is going together.
    and peace of mind goes a long way with a high-hp car.
    You guys are absolutely correct. I'm going to send them out and have them checked and cleaned. I have a set of noid lights and will check that injector circuit before the car gets torn down.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    I just pulled the trigger on an already assembled fully forged short block. The machine shop had a build that needed a home. It's a standard bore 6.0 with CP forged Pistons, SCAT forged rods and crank, king bearings, etc. They sold it to me for the cost of the parts. I'm going to have to change everything over to a 58x setup, thankfully the Holley has zero issue with this. A new cam sensor/ timing set and front cover should do the trick!

My Cars
    99 740iL, 12 VW TDI
    That is a find!!!

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    oh snap!
    so much for having boatloads of time! get those injectors out!

there was a fully built LS1 at a local machine shop a few years ago that was built and abandoned. they wanted ~$2k for it. i wanted it so badly, but didn't have anything to put it in. looking back, i shoulda scooped it and sat on it. good on you for finding a badass deal.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster
    I just learned on my Pro Efi I can run the rear cam sensor with the 58x wheel crank sensor. Maybe you can get away without the front cam sensor and new cover?

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Turbo 6.0 E39

Quote Originally Posted by get dustd View Post
    I just learned on my Pro Efi I can run the rear cam sensor with the 58x wheel crank sensor. Maybe you can get away without the front cam sensor and new cover?
    That's interesting. Do you have a specific setting to tell it the cam is a 1x pickup and the crank is 58x? As far as I can tell, the Holley has a 24x or 58x selection. I assume the 1x or 4x cam sensor is inferred by the 24x or 58x crank selection.

Either way, it cost ~150.00 for the cover, sensor, 4x cam gear, 3 new ARP cam gear bolts, and the extended cam sensor/ knock sensor wiring. I'm going this route to make sure things work as they should as well as the lack of rear cam sensor provision on the new block (Gen 4 block). Even if the rear sensor was an option I'm a little gun-shy right now. Spending another 150.00 is worth avoiding another stupid failure, whether it's a fail to run or something coming apart.

Edit: The 24x cam sensor is looking for a 12v reference, the 58x is looking for 5v reference. This is an easy fix, but it has to be done!
    Last edited by unnatrl; 10-05-2016 at 11:54 AM.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Either way, it cost ~150.00 for the cover, sensor, 4x cam gear, 3 new ARP cam gear bolts, and the extended cam sensor/ knock sensor wiring. ...
    I'm loving it. $150 for this list. Should you need this for a BMW, the price point would be $1500 and a list of special tools
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    I'm loving it. $150 for this list. Should you need this for a BMW, the price point would be $1500 and a list of special tools
    That's no joke!! Imagine this list and a "built" S62? It makes me cringe to even think about the amount of zeros behind that #. Lol

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    You have to love Summit Racing. I ordered this "kit" yesterday. It came with a timing cover gasket, new timing cover bolts and a new balancer bolt. The cam sensor and timing gear are both OE GM parts. Can't ask for more than that!

My Cars
    JuliustroliJD
    Yet another reason to use a GM motor in our babies. The dollar vs dollar for power is ridiculous. But awesome swap though. Boost is definitely fun.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    JuliustroliJD
    Any updates?

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by e30bimmer89 View Post
    Any updates?

Not a whole lot. Waiting on head gaskets and a new set of cylinder heads. I won a bid on eBay for a new aftermarket set of heads that are supposed to be slightly better than the 243 castings. They are going to the machine shop to get a complete once over to make sure everything is good to go. It will probably take a few weeks for everything to come together.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Parts are coming in!

The 58x crank sensor and head gaskets are in as well. A Gen 4 valley cover is in the mail. The heads are still in need of a once over by the machine shop. They have a 2.02 intake / 1.575 exhaust valves. I'm also going to pull the pistons and open the ring gaps. When the short block was assembled, they set the top at .019 and second at .021. It's a little tighter than I'm comfortable with. It would be a shame to butt a ring on those beautiful pistons!

My Cars
    JuliustroliJD
    Its....so.....clean! Nice! Do you remember the name of the seller on Ebay? Its getting close to the time that I pick up my wagon and starting to get the parts for my build. Just looking at finding a decent seller or other stuff for it for a decent price on performance parts.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by e30bimmer89 View Post
    Its....so.....clean! Nice! Do you remember the name of the seller on Ebay? Its getting close to the time that I pick up my wagon and starting to get the parts for my build. Just looking at finding a decent seller or other stuff for it for a decent price on performance parts.
    Which particular part? I buy a lot of parts off of ebay.

My Cars
    JuliustroliJD
    My bad, I meant the heads. I know its bad to set a budget, just trying to get kind of an idea on how much this all is going to run me, or at least around how much.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast