Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Turbo 6.0 E39

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Turbo 6.0 E39

Quote Originally Posted by get dustd View Post
    What is your AC setup? What condenser etc. and who made the lines? I want to tackle that soon. It is about to start warming up here.
    Stock E39 condenser. Stock BMW lines from the condenser and firewall. 1991 (TPI engine) Camaro line from compressor spliced into the stock BMW pieces. You have to do some tweaking, but it fits great. Compressor is a GM R4 (aka pancake). The bracket is from NOVAK in Utah, supposedly it's no longer available. I want to say one of the other E39 builds is using the same idea with a bracket from LS simple. Anyone is welcome to chime in on this. The Holley bracket is too wide (compressor hits abs) when using the Corvette accessory spacing. Also purchased a little black box (converts can signal to analog at the control head) from BFC user Gpeterson. He's doing some amazing work with can bus to analog and adapting the E46 M3 cluster into an E36. BFC user Thaniel says he can do the same thing, unfortunately he ignored my requests so I went elsewhere.
    Last edited by unnatrl; 05-12-2017 at 03:38 PM.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Replaced the fan shroud/ housing today. I modified the one that was in the car a while back and wasn't happy with it.

Before:

After- removed all stock tabs and cut 3/4" off of the face.

After it was all trimmed and sanded it was painted with some semigloss black. A new motor was installed also. Looks brand new and the noise it was making is gone. Forgot to snap a pic before it was installed.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    Replaced the fan shroud/ housing today. I modified the one that was in the car a while back and wasn't happy with it.

Before:

After- removed all stock tabs and cut 3/4" off of the face.

After it was all trimmed and sanded it was painted with some semigloss black. A new motor was installed also. Looks brand new and the noise it was making is gone. Forgot to snap a pic before it was installed.
    Lincoln Mark 8 or Taurus?

S.F.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Turbo 6.0 E39

Quote Originally Posted by StolenFox View Post
    Lincoln Mark 8 or Taurus?

S.F.
    Mark 8. I tried the Taurus, but this one flows a lot more air.
    Last edited by unnatrl; 05-13-2017 at 12:39 PM.

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster
    Ah, I could not fit the condenser so I am going to have to do some universal thing and make my own lines. Not going to be easy. Are you using a GM pressure sensor? Is it the one built into the compressor? I am the one using that same bracket and compressor.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Ah, I could not fit the condenser so I am going to have to do some universal thing and make my own lines. Not going to be easy. Are you using a GM pressure sensor? Is it the one built into the compressor? I am the one using that same bracket and compressor.
    My intention is to use all of the original BMW a/c system aside from the compressor. The BMW pressure switch ties in with the IHKA. It's pretty close to a stand alone system. There is a chance that the original DME gave the IHKA the green light to turn the compressor on, that's where my little black box comes into play. I'm not at the point to where I can speak intelligently on this, but will update when I know what it takes to make it work.

It won't take much to get the system buttoned up. Lines are done and connected. The immediate to-do list includes splicing the R4 compressor wiring into the factory harness, vacuum testing the system and charging it with refrigerant as long as the vacuum test is a pass. I've been holding off on this as I knew the front clip had to come off to replace the fan. Now that it's done, I have no more excuses.

My Cars
    2002 353I
    I am interested in how this all works out. I'm not quite there yet but I was starting to plan what route to go hooking my lines up and what switch to use.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    In for A/C info as well.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    For me to refer to later... fuel pump pickup info

http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/pickups.html

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    For me to refer to later... fuel pump pickup info

http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/pickups.html
    If you will be using your car for some serious side G's racing, you might want to think about surge tank instead...

I think this pickup was looked at in one of my fuel starvation threads (on page 3 I think) https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?1964025

But if it is for other than fuel starvation, then it might work otherwise
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    If you will be using your car for some serious side G's racing, you might want to think about surge tank instead...

I think this pickup was looked at in one of my fuel starvation threads (on page 3 I think) https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?1964025

But if it is for other than fuel starvation, then it might work otherwise
    Yes, it was mentioned in your thread. The issue isn't g's. I'm looking toward future and the high possibility that a single pump won't be able to provide enough fuel. It's been recently discovered that the stock E39 siphon system is a restriction on the return side. Several cars (including mine) are working fine with an adjustable pressure regulator. I understand how and why it's working, it's just not an ideal setup.

The surge tank is a great idea, one that I may end up using. I have to look at it more to see if will address the restriction in the siphon system as well. Radium Engineering has some very nice pieces. A little rich for my blood, but the design ideas could be used.

My Cars
    2000 E39 530i Touring
    Great info on AC, will be following with interest

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster
    My siphon system seems to be working fine so far but my ECU is great at adjusting to fuel PSI on the fly. A stock ecu seems like more of a pain. I see like 30 more psi when both pumps are on under full throttle. It seems like My AC is going to end up being more GM/custom than bmw. The only bmw things will be the connections at the firewall and everything inside the dash. I think everything else will be custom and controlled by the pro efi ecu. Thanks for the lead on the other guy making the can/bus interface. I also lost communication with thaniel. Did not know there was another option.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    My siphon system seems to be working fine so far but my ECU is great at adjusting to fuel PSI on the fly. A stock ecu seems like more of a pain. I see like 30 more psi when both pumps are on under full throttle. It seems like My AC is going to end up being more GM/custom than bmw. The only bmw things will be the connections at the firewall and everything inside the dash. I think everything else will be custom and controlled by the pro efi ecu. Thanks for the lead on the other guy making the can/bus interface. I also lost communication with thaniel. Did not know there was another option.
    As long as the a/c works, it doesn't matter how we get there! That's why I love this hobby. The end result is similar, but it has our unique "signature" if you will.

I'm going to pull my return line and let it drain into a bucket to see if the fuel pressure is greatly affected. It's not a huge deal either way, just want to know. My system is working ok for now. I'm running a single 450lph pump. The fuel pressure increases based on boost as it should (boost referenced regulator). It was making 14psi when the piston debacle happened, plugs were still rich. I'm making an assumption, but it was probably about 700 wheel hp at that boost level. Pushing the single pump anymore than that seems like a risky idea.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”

I'm going to pull my return line and let it drain into a bucket to see if the fuel pressure is greatly affected. It's not a huge deal either way, just want to know.

I'd be very interested to learn your findings.

S.F.

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster
    Yea I would be interested too. I have the 450lph in tank and a huge 750 external. Getting the pickups to work was a nightmare. I almost got to the point where I was going to make two separate aluminum cells with an AN hose connecting them at the bottom to keep the fuel level even but I would have lost some volume and with e85 I cant afford to loose any capacity. I would love to meet up with these cars and see how the other ones look in person and go cruise around. Stop living in Germany or ship your car to the states! I am looking for an 07 and up explorer 8.8 right now but I am going to do everything I can to wait until the seasons over to change it out. The m5 rear end is working great but I am too scared to launch it as that diff and axles are pretty valuable. BTW I am up to 850WHP on 17lbs. My turbine housing is a 1.1AR and the back pressure numbers hit over 40lbs at that number so we did not push it anymore. Cam spec'r blames the housing, turbo builder blames the cam. On any level, early signs are looking good to get me up near 1000hp to the tires turnt up.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Yea I would be interested too. I have the 450lph in tank and a huge 750 external. Getting the pickups to work was a nightmare. I almost got to the point where I was going to make two separate aluminum cells with an AN hose connecting them at the bottom to keep the fuel level even but I would have lost some volume and with e85 I cant afford to loose any capacity. I would love to meet up with these cars and see how the other ones look in person and go cruise around. Stop living in Germany or ship your car to the states! I am looking for an 07 and up explorer 8.8 right now but I am going to do everything I can to wait until the seasons over to change it out. The m5 rear end is working great but I am too scared to launch it as that diff and axles are pretty valuable. BTW I am up to 850WHP on 17lbs. My turbine housing is a 1.1AR and the back pressure numbers hit over 40lbs at that number so we did not push it anymore. Cam spec'r blames the housing, turbo builder blames the cam. On any level, early signs are looking good to get me up near 1000hp to the tires turnt up.
    Your power level is impressive. It's always a fine balancing act with the cam and turbine wheel. With the wrong g cam it has back pressure through the roof. Too little turbine it's the same story. The correct combo makes a ton of power and spools like a light switch. As stated before, I was concerned about the 1.1 a/r 87mm turbine setup mine started with. More than a few people told me it would do what you are experiencing when I wanted to turn it up. 850 hp is not a joke though. You could have a 96mm turbine installed. The 1.25 T4 housings are available for the 96mm wheel. It would probably take care of the back pressure you are seeing.

It would be great to get everyone together. I'm not in Germany. Never been in the habit of advertising where I actually live to the world. I'm hoping to attend LS Fest west next year, might be a good road trip!

My Cars
    e39 m5, 72 duster
    Ha ha that makes sense. Yea I am kicking around doing a few shows this season. My half mile event this weekend looks like it will be rained out. I am thinking about going to Virginia for a half mile in July now. I am talking to my turbo builder about it right now, It is fully spooled by 4k rpm right now and I don't want that to change. I am not trying to build a dyno queen to hit a number I want the car to be quick and responsive. I am considering calling precision and just spending the money on a smaller frame but better set up turbo. The BW are so cheap though and that is very appealing.
    Last edited by get dustd; 05-18-2017 at 01:32 PM.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Ha ha that makes sense. Yea I am kicking around doing a few shows this season. My half mile event this weekend looks like it will be rained out. I am thinking about going to Virginia for a half mile in July now. I am talking to my turbo builder about it right now, It is fully spooled by 4k rpm right now and I don't want that to change. I am not trying to build a dyno queen to hit a number I want the car to be quick and responsive. I am considering calling precision and just spending the money on a smaller frame but better set up turbo. The BW are so cheap though and that is very appealing.
    It might take a cam change and some tuning, but you can get the larger exhaust wheel Borg to spool at or maybe even before where your current one does. The manual trans will usually take longer than an auto with the appropriate stall. I want to say mine is all in by about 3500. It's significantly quicker with the v-band housing. There is a balancing act when sizing the exhaust vs compressor wheels. Precision Turbos work well. They are proud of them too. Reliability seems to hit and miss in comparison to the Borg Warner turbos. I rebuilt mine (upgraded to 360* thrust bearings and revised oil seal) for ~100.00. No special tools needed. One of the easier projects involved with this turbo setup.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Some info for the guys looking at making a/c functional. This is the only info I've come across that gives a nice run down of how the system works.
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1327080092

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Started down the road of charging the a/c today. It was a short road...

The splice I used on the large line has a hole in it. Tried to use the low pressure port to charge the PAG oil and it came spraying out of a small hole in the crimped portion of the splice. It looks like it was manufactured with the hole, not sure what the deal is here.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Haven't seen many updates lately... I will start.

While making a video I discovered my oil pressure drop to 15psi after a few hard pulls. There isn't any noise, just a low reading on the gauge. When the car is cold the pressure is normal. It had 5w30 oil, changed it to 15w40. Oil pressure seems to stay more stable at temp now. Also managed to score a new billet K&N cleanable filter on eBay for 44.00 (retail is close to 250.00). It's totally unnecessary, but I couldn't resist! The filter spins apart so you can see what contaminants are inside it. This is probably one more thing to drive myself crazy over, but oil changes will be cheaper in the long run.

Also started to polish the compressor housing on my turbo. About an hour into this I'm regretting it. What a pain in the ass. In all reality, it will probably get powder coated as the polished aluminum is a pain to keep that way. No pics of this just yet.

The new turbo blanket already decided to start to melt/ come apart. The seller refunded my money in full and told me to keep it. Seems they aren't terribly confident in their product. I may revisit the stainless shield that I cut out of the cooking pan. For those of you who haven't seen it, I know it sounds ghetto. The finished product looks awesome. You would never know if you weren't told. Initial temp checks with the temp gun show a drastic reduction in temp at idle over what the blanket did. Need to do some WOT runs and check the temp after. I will post the results.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    that filter looks taller than the OE filter i've been using.

i hate changing oil when it's cold....and that thing looks like it'd be a real handful when hot! how much more efficient is it than the stock filters? does it have a check valve? looks sweet no matter what!
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Turbo 6.0 E39

Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    that filter looks taller than the OE filter i've been using.

i hate changing oil when it's cold....and that thing looks like it'd be a real handful when hot! how much more efficient is it than the stock filters? does it have a check valve? looks sweet no matter what!
    It is slightly taller. There is a bypass valve built in to the bottom side, I think that's what you were referring to. As far as efficiency, The filters are rated to 22 microns. This is slightly less than the best filters one can buy, but better than most. There are several magnets inside to help with any ferrous material. Oil flow is supposed to be much greater when compared to a conventional filter.

A hot oil change (regardless of what filter) is never high on my to-do list. I usually let the car run for a few mins and warm the oil, but definitely don't let it get hot.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    It is slightly taller. There is a bypass valve built in to the bottom side, I think that's what you were referring to. As far as efficiency, The filters are rated to 22 microns. This is slightly less than the best filters one can buy, but better than most. There are several magnets inside to help with any ferrous material. Oil flow is supposed to be much greater when compared to a conventional filter.

A hot oil change (regardless of what filter) is never high on my to-do list. I usually let the car run for a few mins and warm the oil, but definitely don't let it get hot.
    i usually do my changes on the lift at work after hours or on weekends.
    hotter drains faster, so that's the habit i'm in thanks to work.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829 LastLast