Thread: Turbo 6.0 E39

My Cars
    2000 E39 530i Touring
    Better than buying it based on the photo's and finding out once it arrived

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by E39Touringoz View Post
    Better than buying it based on the photo's and finding out once it arrived
    Agreed. I worked in the automotive auction industry for years and learned how shady some people can be. Never buy a car sight unseen if it can be avoided.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Am I the only one who's relieved? I really wanted to see the E39 live on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by BigL350 View Post
    Am I the only one who's relieved? I really wanted to see the E39 live on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fair enough. Unfortunately it's not over yet...

My dad got a 1967 mustang S-code 390 automatic car from my stepmom for his 10th wedding anniversary. This was 15+ yeas ago. He started the process of building a 427 side-oiler with an aftermarket block, heads, etc for the car. He then admitted that a mustang wasn't really his style. We have been searching for a 65-67 Galaxie for the past few months. He finally found an older restoration that's in really nice shape and bought it. The side-oiler will replace the 352 that's currently in that car.

After the Nova debacle, I left a sizable amount of cash waiting for him. He finally caved! It's taken 15 years to get here.

This doesn't mean I'm completely abandoning the E39. I have to finish paying the old man for the mustang. I do have an LS1 & T56 that needs a home. Highly contemplating making the E39 a stockish daily driver and pissing off some purists with the mustang because of a 6.0 and a turbo.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Sounds like the best recipe for a fast, reliable Ford product to me...
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    Sounds like the best recipe for a fast, reliable Ford product to me...
    Exactly. I grew up bleeding blue. Funny how things change.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Since the LS engines are far more like a SBF then the modulars, GM simply continued the development of the Windsor engine family for Ford....

Purist be damned, build what you want and drive the $hit out of it!

S.F.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by StolenFox View Post
    Since the LS engines are far more like a SBF then the modulars, GM simply continued the development of the Windsor engine family for Ford....

Purist be damned, build what you want and drive the $hit out of it!

S.F.
    It is funny how you can set an LS head on a Windsor block. They damn near bolt on. The Valves are backwards, but we will call that an improvement to the original design.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Can’t believe it’s been almost 2 months since I’ve had anything to say about the car! Truly have not had the time to do anything much to it. Had to finish up a house remodel.

Anyway, the 67 fastback mustang I was buying from my dad (that I thought was on the 5 year plan) has been moved way up in terms of a timeline. He asked me what I wanted for a bday gift. I told him to credit me some of the $ I owe on the car. After some thought, he decided to forgive the debt completely and handed me the title. Pretty sure this ranks as the best birthday gift of all time. The mustang game has changed significantly since last had one in high school. Can’t wait to start this project. He had collected an original 390, some 428 CJ heads, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension, etc. I probably won’t use most of that as I don’t want to hack the car up that much. It will definitely get some modern suspension upgrades, not sure what just yet.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    that is an incredible bday gift. congrats!
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Turbo 6.0 E39

Might as well post a few pics of the new ride. Parts collection is still in full force. Holley had a really good sale going on, couldn’t pass up the opportunity to try the new turbo manifolds. The 3” v-band outlet will make a very clean transition to the 3” v-band on the the S480 turbine housing. I think these would have fit really well in the E39 too as they are very compact. The front brakes are 2012 GT500 14” rotors and the Wilwood calipers off of my E36. I’m removing all of the antiquated 1967 front suspension (including replacing the shock towers with something much smaller than stock) and replacing it with a tubular k-member & a-arms made by AJE. Also going to be using a Fox body mustang rack and 2003 cobra spindles/ struts with coil-overs. It should drive 100x better.
    Last edited by unnatrl; 01-06-2018 at 07:30 PM.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Seriously awesome new project! The Hooker stuff is fantastic looking! Somebody did there homework for sure. You have to build your own crossover pipe I take it? Positioned somewhere between the oil pan and the bellhousing with a flex joint in the middle? What accessory drive do you have to run?

S.F.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Seriously awesome new project! The Hooker stuff is fantastic looking! Somebody did there homework for sure. You have to build your own crossover pipe I take it? Positioned somewhere between the oil pan and the bellhousing with a flex joint in the middle? What accessory drive do you have to run?

S.F.
    They make the matching crossover as well. It’s all stainless with the expansion joint, it is routed under the bellhousing.

I haven’t decided on accessories yet. If all goes well, the power steering will be electric. The Saturn Vue EPAS fits well under the dash. This leaves the alternator and A/C. The turbo will be placed on the passenger side this time, not sure how much space will be left over for the A/C compressor. Time will tell.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Since I still get questions about the car, I wanted to add some info to the thread. Finally found a solution to mount the a/c low on the drivers side. I have been looking for this for over a year. The bracket is built for the Nissan 350z swaps. You would have to mount p/s high on the drivers side and relocate the alternator to the pass side up high to retain p/s. It’s another idea for those of you that want to run a turbo on the pass side (or use the area where the original compressor went for a downpipe). My new project will only have the a/c and alternator, so this works great. Tons of room for the turbo now.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    whoa.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    The plot thickens! I found a 2003 Express van with a 6.0 and 4L80e. The guy wants a whopping 400.00, it is supposed to run and drive. It seems the E39 may stick around for a while longer. Heck, it might even get put into the daily driver status. If everything is in good shape, I may just swap the 6.0 and 80e in and use the GM harness and computer. This stuff never ends!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I'm going to catch back up on this thread! There is no denying the sense of LS everything, especially since I already have MS3 running my M62, and would love to swap the 540 to an auto... Hmmm.. Could be a later in the summer sort of thing maybe.

I need to read up most on integrating the heat and A/C with the E39 stuff, and whatever other minutiae there is for making the systems work together.
    Last edited by tptrsn; 02-10-2018 at 01:19 PM.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    The plot thickens! I found a 2003 Express van with a 6.0 and 4L80e. The guy wants a whopping 400.00, it is supposed to run and drive. It seems the E39 may stick around for a while longer. Heck, it might even get put into the daily driver status. If everything is in good shape, I may just swap the 6.0 and 80e in and use the GM harness and computer. This stuff never ends!
    $400 is a steal! Van has to be pretty rough but at that price you could freshen up both the engine and trans and still have cash left over! The van harness is nice because it's ridiculously long so you can modify it to put the PCM anywhere. 03 on the van should still be a DBC throttle body.

S.F.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Turbo 6.0 E39

$400 is a steal! Van has to be pretty rough but at that price you could freshen up both the engine and trans and still have cash left over! The van harness is nice because it's ridiculously long so you can modify it to put the PCM anywhere. 03 on the van should still be a DBC throttle body.

S.F.
    It’s rough. Has a little noise in the engine. The rotating assembly for the original 6.0 that was in the E39 still needs a home (obviously replacing the melted piston). That block has a hurt cylinder wall, hopefully the one from the van is a spun bearing or something along that line.

Either way, the computer, wiring, MAF, sensors, etc are well worth the 400 bucks.
    Last edited by unnatrl; 02-11-2018 at 08:12 PM.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    Either way, the computer, wiring, MAF, sensors, etc are well worth the 400 bucks.
    Absolutely is and at current steel scrap prices the van shell should net you $250 at the shredder.

S.F.

My Cars
    2002 353I
    oh man I'm jelly! I love that mustang. I would be selling everything to build that thing. I'm not a purist but I would have to go with a coyote motor for that.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxBodyRacing View Post
    oh man I'm jelly! I love that mustang. I would be selling everything to build that thing. I'm not a purist but I would have to go with a coyote motor for that.
    Trust me, bringing the E39 project to a screeching halt was the right decision!

I have been debating the Coyote. It doesn’t make sense right now, as I already have the forged LS drivetrain. Don’t rule it out for the future when the LS gets boring.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    I do love the rev capabilities with the coyote though. But sometimes cheap LS stuff just wins in a budget standpoint.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    I couldn’t help myself and bought the twin to my turbo LS car. It needs some love, but it’s a 540, 6 speed manual, black interior (interior is in really nice shape). Since I’m pulling the drivetrain from the original car, all of the little bits that need replaced on this one will be an easy swap. One of these days that mustang will get some love.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    She looks clean! Why the switch to another chassis?

S.F.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829 LastLast