Thread: 1999 m3 convertible top trouble tucking away

My Cars
    535is, 2800cs s54, Lr4

1999 m3 convertible top trouble tucking away

I have been working on my top in the last couple days. I was able to add some flag bungee's to help clear the top from crashing into the tonneau cover. Now, it no longer makes contact, which is great. But when the top is folding down into the car, it doesnt clear behind the headrests properly, and makes an ugly noise as it gets pulled down. Can someone help me figure out how to get to clear and then to close all the way (left side closes flush, right side does not as shown in pic). I am in the Bay Area (Santa Clara). If i can't fix this myself, then maybe someone knows a good top shop that knows the e36 system. Id like to try to finish this job myself though as I achieved half of what I wash hoping to so far. Any help is appreciated.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    This problem is caused by a thin metal spring rod in the top. The rod is located about 10 inches from the top between the top and headliner. Close your top completely and then open to the point where the front part goes up. The spring rod has be be fully connected to both tensioning straps. One side has a large u hook and the other simply is inserted in two loops on the tension strap. This rod often backs out a bit and looses the connection at the loops and then the loops to not fold to the rear. I use zip ties on the end to ensure it can't back out. The rod has a designed bend and when the top goes down pulls the headliner area in question backward to clear the edge.
    I'm my case after getting the rod secured I had to "retrain" my top to pull the headliner back. As the top is coming down ensure this area springs to the rear. Once in place the way the top lays will help the top "remember" how to fold.

You may also have a slight tear in a small frabric web that goes from the top to the tension strap. It would be located in the same area. I also had to hand restitch these straps, then no more issues with pinching headliner.

My Cars
    535is, 2800cs s54, Lr4
    I appreciate the response. Is there a picture already posted where I can see this spring rod (in a manner so I can see how it functions)?

Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    This problem is caused by a thin metal spring rod in the top. The rod is located about 10 inches from the top between the top and headliner. Close your top completely and then open to the point where the front part goes up. The spring rod has be be fully connected to both tensioning straps. One side has a large u hook and the other simply is inserted in two loops on the tension strap. This rod often backs out a bit and looses the connection at the loops and then the loops to not fold to the rear. I use zip ties on the end to ensure it can't back out. The rod has a designed bend and when the top goes down pulls the headliner area in question backward to clear the edge.
    I'm my case after getting the rod secured I had to "retrain" my top to pull the headliner back. As the top is coming down ensure this area springs to the rear. Once in place the way the top lays will help the top "remember" how to fold.

You may also have a slight tear in a small frabric web that goes from the top to the tension strap. It would be located in the same area. I also had to hand restitch these straps, then no more issues with pinching headliner.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    It's a metal rod between the canvas fabric and the headliner. Located just behind where the top meets the windshield. it's basically the width of the top, and it has a slight bend in it; about the same diameter as a metal coat hanger. It needs to be rotated in the right direction such that when the top folds into the tonneau cover, the headliner should be folded up three times and tuck behind the headrests. I'm thinking yours is rotated backwards. It may have slipped out, or the fabric loops it holds itself in may have worn and torn.
    Last edited by shaft9ii; 03-23-2015 at 08:01 PM.

My Cars
    535is, 2800cs s54, Lr4
    Thanks for the explanation. If the fabric loops it holds are torn, is there a solution?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5

My Cars
    97 328 vert, 05 330 vert
    Thanks mate - I'll now be doing this in a few weeks time
    __________________________________________________ ____
    1997 328i auto convertible in Montreal blue and matching hardtop, with grey sports leather and far too much stereo installed!

My Cars
    535is, 2800cs s54, Lr4
    I appreciate the help. I have successfully been able to clear the tonneau cover (bungee 2-5) but still unable to fix the bunching. The hook appears to be correctly oriented. I have tried to change the memory of the bar by pushing on it upwards. Here is a close up - maybe then someone can describe what I need to reattach. I see 2 zip ties in Flyfish's explanation that do not allow the separation that is shown in my pic? Really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Charofire; 04-01-2015 at 03:22 PM.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    You need to secure both ends of that rod. I honestly can't remember if I secured the strap to the headliner as you are suggesting. My car still has its hardtop on so I can't look at it. Make sure the headliner is secured to each of the bows with those U shaped plastic channels. Make sure the bow in that rod is pushing the headliner UP into the canvas top. Make sure both dog ears are installed and make sure the string for those fog ears is routed correctly.

The fix I described in that thread worked for me on a very old and very ratty canvas top and headliner. It works flawlessly about 99% of the time. The other 1% there is a tiny bit of headliner that sticks out but it does not affect the function of the top or the tonneau cover

My Cars
    535is, 2800cs s54, Lr4
    My picture shows the hook on the driver side. The passenger side has no round hook on mine. As 66 6 pointed out above, only 1 end has the hook: One side has a large u hook and the other simply is inserted in two loops on the tension strap.
    Last edited by Charofire; 04-01-2015 at 05:17 PM.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    That's correct but my experience is the passenger side headliner loop is also damaged and even if it isn't I found the rod would work its way out of the loop unless it was secured. In any case make sure the entire headliner is in decent condition as I outlined

My Cars
    535is, 2800cs s54, Lr4
    FlyFish, what I do not understand from your picture is how you are securing the hook. Your picture shows 2 zip ties - are they to the immediate left and right of the round hook?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    The round hook end generally stays in place. Especially when you use zip ties on the other end to keep the straight end captured in the loops.
    If you really wanted to you could run a zip tie through the hook end and then down around the rod but I've found this is not necessary when the other end is secured.
    Looks like the other area I mentioned (black link from one section of the strap to the other is in place.
    Even with all this I still had to train my top to retract correctly. To do this I opened the top until the front top was folding back and then by hand ensured all the material was folding correctly before the top finished in the well. In your picture in #8 the entire black strap with wire hook should be pushed up when the top is folding up. This pulls the headliner up and back and keeps it from getting caught when entering the well. Push up on both sides where the metal rod runs as it closes and this should fix your problem.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Charofire View Post
    FlyFish, what I do not understand from your picture is how you are securing the hook. Your picture shows 2 zip ties - are they to the immediate left and right of the round hook?
    I wish I could help but I can't access my top right now. It will be about a month before it's warm enough to take off the hard top.

My Cars
    1968 Porsche 912
    Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I’ve been scouring this forum for solutions to my new-to-me 99 M3 convertible top issues. After replacing the cover struts, applying a bungee fix, and now the headliner rod fix, I now have a fully functioning auto top without getting out of the car to do anything!

Thanks to all of those who have come before me!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dion Dunn; 05-02-2019 at 08:39 PM.