Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black plug car to Yellow Plug seat harness adapter

My Cars
    1998 740iL, bunch of VWs

Black plug car to Yellow Plug seat harness adapter

So I picked up some black sport seats out of a 2000 740i. They are the fancy 18 way heated seats. Im swapping over the truly hideous Lavendergrau interior in my 1998 740iL. Slowly. Anyway. I got these for $30 each. Then I realized the plugs were different and I had a journey on my hands.

I did many searches and I kept coming across people suggesting this thread: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/493685

Anyone who does is a total jerk and not your friend. You should punch them.

That thread shows a guy just twisting a bunch of wires and "Finding out" what works. Well thats a load of crap. I don't like burning out expensive components. We have things like wiring diagrams in the service manual and http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...8new/index.htm which has all the wiring diagram. THE PROBLEM with that last site is its European and doesn't show the yellow plug E38/39/46 seat plugs.

I cut the body side plug of the 2000 seat plug with about 8" if extra wire. I also found a 96 740 that was pretty stripped and chopped out the seat side of the power plug with as much wire as possible. I am mating the 2 together so I dont have to chop the harness on my car or on either of the seats. Plug n play.

Well I found where all the wires went. There is a wire on the seat side of the 96-98 seat that has no corresponding wire on the body harness. There are also other wires that just dont quite match on the 99+ harness. And there are some EXTRA wires.

Here is a list...so you no longer have to search. This is just the passenger seat. Ill do the Drivers seat next...but its pretty much the same.

98 2000

Pass (x279 x18092 x1570 Plug numbers in diagrams)

10 brn brn/blu 10
    9 blu rd/blu 9
    2 rd/wht rd/wht 6
    1 pu/grn pu/grn 5
    6 brn/blk brn/blk 8
    1 brn brn 14
    6* rd/ylw rd/ylw 13
    7 blu/wht blu/wht 7
    3* wht/ylw wht/grn 25
    2* wht/blu wht/brn 23
    1* brn brn(sm) 24
    blu/rd (sm)- K Bus - Not used 15
    5* pur/gry (Headreat light)

*= Large round terminals

I put the TERMINAL numbers next to the colors. I also did ENGLISH color abbreviations because...well...I dont read much German.

Brake clean dries your hands out.
    Last edited by Kudagra; 03-20-2015 at 10:34 PM.
    My car is monogrammed.

I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, keep me here.

I know what Im doing. If you are unsure if I know what Im doing..dont worry about it. If I dont know what Im doing Ill ask someone who does. Thats probably not you.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Nice work Bryan. I need a set of these seats in grey. Delivered and installed please.

My Cars
    1999 540i M-sport
    I just cut all wires on plugs and replaced them
    -E34 M60B40 + Tremec TKO 600 (sold)
    and sadly no old BMW anymore, only high powered Seat Leon Cupra 4Drive as a daily driver.

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    Nice work Bryan. I need a set of these seats in grey. Delivered and installed please.
    Haha I agree, I want to know where he got them!

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    1998 740iL, bunch of VWs
    If I find them Ill let you know....that they are at my shop. Ill even make conversion plugs. The pain in the ass about the drivers seat wiring is none of the manuals (paper or online) show the correct complete yellow plug for the 99+

Im about to try the connect and pray method.
    My car is monogrammed.

I know what Im doing. If you are unsure if I know what Im doing..dont worry about it. If I dont know what Im doing Ill ask someone who does. Thats probably not you.

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudagra View Post
    If I find them Ill let you know....that they are at my shop. Ill even make conversion plugs. The pain in the ass about the drivers seat wiring is none of the manuals (paper or online) show the correct complete yellow plug for the 99+ Im about to try the connect and pray method.
    Good luck! Might be a good write up opportunity once done.

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Nothing on the news about a fire in Douglass County. Success?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Anything on how you're getting around the different seatbelt tensioners and their wiring for the dual stage vs single stage airbag system...which goes along with the 3/99-up build date change to the yellow seat wiring harness plugs? Or can you swap the pre 3/99 tensioners onto the post 3/99 sport seats so that your single stage SRS system won't notice the change?

(tensioner is #1 in diagram if someone didn't know what I was asking about)

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-05-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I have done this conversion a few times. Brian is absolutely right that there are two little wires remaining when going to pre-"yellow" seat harnesses. My biggest issue is pointed out by Q. The seat belt tensioner wires / connectors are different - when I did my conversions, I cut the wires and spliced in the newer tensioners. At one point, the driver's side SRS never came on again. Reversing the splice seemed to fix that. The issue is the wires are white and I wasn't sure which goes where.

Q's idea might be something to consider - maybe the Single Stage tensioners can just be bolted to the Dual Stage Seat?

My Cars
    1998 740iL, bunch of VWs
    They attach the same. What I found was the newer seat switch (S58 drivers side Plug x778 and S59 Passenger side plug x18165) both only had 2 wires. The older ones in my 98 each had 4 wires. Which is nothing even remotely the same as what is in the books or online. (95-98 3 wires, 99-2001 4 wires) I just plugged it in and went with it. I also just cut the old tensioner plugs off the old seats and swapped in the old tensioners. I guess Ill find out if I did it right if I ever crash it. I dont plan on it. .

I really hate the Lavendergrau. At least its not in a white car which Ive seen and is the worst color combination. At least with Aspensilver its kind of a whole purple hue thing going on.

Eventually the car will be repainted satin black and some e65 19" wheels.

I better get a job first.
    Last edited by Kudagra; 03-26-2015 at 09:27 PM.
    My car is monogrammed.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Anything on how you're getting around the different seatbelt tensioners and their wiring for the dual stage vs single stage airbag system...which goes along with the 3/99-up build date change to the yellow seat wiring harness plugs? Or can you swap the pre 3/99 tensioners onto the post 3/99 sport seats so that your single stage SRS system won't notice the change?

(tensioner is #1 in diagram if someone didn't know what I was asking about)

That seatbelt extension. I'm betting that was a US only option
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonatrbo View Post
    That seatbelt extension (#2). I'm betting that was a US only option

(LOL)...okay, I laughed and thought you were probably correct. Then I ran part nbr #2 (it's a seat belt "adapter") through the database...and guess what...it's only offered in Europe!

Item #2 (seat belt adapter) in diagram above was only offered on Euro e38/e39 models...and is not listed on the USA side of the part database:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-05-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1998 740iL, bunch of VWs
    Being a fat ass isn't a strictly American thing.
    My car is monogrammed.

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudagra View Post
    Being a fat ass isn't a strictly American thing.
    The Germans are Europe's most overweight!

My Cars
    1998 740iL, bunch of VWs
    See...Being the best in the world has it's perks.
    My car is monogrammed.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I dissected the separate plugs from the main yellow plug.. That way, the heated seats were one plug. The seat belt tensioner was 1 plug. The occupancy sensor was 1 plug. The main power was 1 plug. They all run directly to the sensor or switch. No diagram needed. No wire cutting needed. Just take tiny nail or something alike. Pry clip to release the wire prong from the clip. The wire prong will fit right into the stock clip. Re attache the clip . Whualah. No mess. No hassle. SmRts pay off. (E46 seats to e36)

My Cars
    1998 740iL, bunch of VWs
    But I dont have to dissect anything if I want to switch back. It's plug and play now.
    My car is monogrammed.

My Cars
    bmw 528i
    First off, want to say this is the best thread i have seen so far for the seat swap involving the yellow/black issue. Thanks for posting.

Do you have the wiring finalized for the driver seat as well? I am just starting this same journey. Putting yellow connector E38 comfort seats with heat into a black connector E39 that had base seats w/o heat.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 520i
    Hope we got wiring diagram for driver side

My Cars
    2000 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sroor9001 View Post
    Hope we got wiring diagram for driver side
    there's one out there already for drivers side , passenger side is the harder side to do

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    One of my happiest e38 days was when I got to pull the old plug style seats the PO had hack wired into my car and replace them with a set with the correct plugs and the seat massagers to boot! Now I just need to get rid of the air bag light that is on because of the old seats.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    Does anyone have wiring diagram / pinout for black and yellow connectors on the driver's side?

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I don't have time to look now but dig around in here:

https://bmwteka.com/

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i 1998
    I found your post from 5 years ago for that connector

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...eat-won-t-move

But i don't think it's right because X653 connector has 26 pins while the seat connector only has 25 pins
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...6#post30701516

I've spent a few hours trying to find it on tis without luck

- - - Updated - - -

I'll keep looking

My Cars
    2000 740iA, 2003 330xiA
    It's sad that sites like Photobucket were the most common image hoster. All the pictures for this thread are gone, but they show on google. I wish Bimmer Forums would swap all the missing pictures with placeholder text as I hadn't realized there was originally pictures included here until just now... I'm currently on a mission to retrofit pre-facelift comfort seats into my facelift.

One thing that makes this issue overly complicated, is the crossover of people retrofitting into E39s and documenting those wiring differences. To add to this complexity, my facelift E38 was an early facelift built in 11/99

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast