RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Any advise on using Motorkote oil Additive in 06 M3

Any advise on using Motorkote oil Additive in 06 M3

I have heard good things about Motorkote.. Thanks

MauiM3Mania is online now Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    The oil that is factory recommended isn't snake oil. I'd rely on it and not attempt to second guess the engineers, but that's just me.

Is there an issue with your M3 that you think an oil additive will help resolve?
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

No, not at all. Just though some liquid engineering would be best for engine starts after car sits between runs

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    When you say sit, how long is it not running? If you are using the car for a couple of months and then storing for say winter, it is best to just change the oil at the end of the season just prior to storage.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    When you say sit, how long is it not running? If you are using the car for a couple of months and then storing for say winter, it is best to just change the oil at the end of the season just prior to storage.
    not long. I am told that this stuff is great for start up and allows engines to run cooler by reducing friction.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Sound like the same thing when they came out with "Slick-50" back in the 90's.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I remember Slick 50 from the late 70's, if I'm not mistaken. If seem to recall that its primary ingredient was PTFE (teflon). There's another one like this, I forget the name, but Carroll Shelby advertised it for a long time.

On the other hand, a great German company, Liqui-moly, makes a product called "Lubro-moly". It's an oil additive said to greatly reduce wear and friction, and coat the engine enough that it can run half an hour with no oil. Personally, I'd call that BS, but I'll never try it to see....Anyway, the primary ingredient seems to be Molybdenum, and I see no reference to Teflon or "Nano-technology". Personally, I'd sooner trust the German company, because the Germans are really picky about what they let automotive companies claim. But I can tell you for sure that a small can of Lubro Moly makes your sparkly-clean new oil look FILTHY, INSTANTLY.

Realistically, if you want to protect the engine against cold starts, install a pre-lube device, like Accusump.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

MauiM3Mania is online now Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    And I remember STP from the 60s and beyond and how it supposedly would protect your engine from wear and perform other miracles. When I was an engine operator at one of the two oil testing labs in the US, I recall the product being discussed.

STP was/is a VI improver, or viscosity index improver. It thickens the oil. Nothing magical is happening. The oil you get off the shelf employs various VI's to achieve the desired weight rating. Those oils also utilize all sorts of super duper additives that are known to work well together in the determined per centages to become an excellent oil blend. Realize that all additives do not work well together, so second guessing the lube engineers is of questionable value.

Buy an oil that meets the standards set by the manufacturer. You can't do better in regards to the fill. For the ultra-paranoid (me) do as Chris suggests and install an AccuSump to pre-lube the engine (I briefly thought about it).

Another point. There are a number of BMW owners in this very sub-forum with well running BMW engines with odometers reading well into the multi-hundred thousands. I bet if queried, most would admit to a regular oil and filters change routine and nothing more.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

Good feedback, thanks for sharing