Thread: '01 E46 key fob battery replaement

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i

'01 E46 key fob battery replaement

Has anybody replaced the Panasonic VL2020 battery in your E46? After 14 years of ownership, the batteries in both key fobs have bitten the dust. The actual Panasonic site doesn't show any dealers for it. I am somewhat skeptical of the batteries I'm seeing on Amazon and eBay. They're showing as made in Indonesia vs. Japan so I'm concerned they're counterfeits. This is what I'm seeing on the two sites:

Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list....&condition=new

eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1717061...lpid=82&chn=ps

So if you did it with success, can you give me a link as to where you got your battery? I just can't see spending a buck fifty for a new key when my key does everything except work remotely.

Thanks,
    '01 325i - Bare bones & fun to drive... Sport Package, Sunroof, CD Player & Rear Fold Down Seats with Ski Bag. Added H&K springs & Bilstein shocks. No unnecessary frills. Sit down, buckle up, shut up & hold on.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325I
    I've replaced several with excellent results. I purchased them on eBay but they were different from what your link shows. The ones I used had a yellow band on them and the seller was from Canada. I'm sorry I don't have the link at the moment.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    I put a 2025 in mine. Got it from Walmart and don't even know what brand it is. Works fine. As long as it's the same size and 3v you're good

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI
    Yeah the voltage is the only thing that matters. Just go to wal mart. (Unless BMW has yet again engineered something proprietary, which wouldn't surprize me!)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    Thanks gang. Is the 2025 rechargeable? If not, are there any issues with it not being rechargeable?
    '01 325i - Bare bones & fun to drive... Sport Package, Sunroof, CD Player & Rear Fold Down Seats with Ski Bag. Added H&K springs & Bilstein shocks. No unnecessary frills. Sit down, buckle up, shut up & hold on.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325I
    Quote Originally Posted by frito View Post
    Thanks gang. Is the 2025 rechargeable? If not, are there any issues with it not being rechargeable?
    That's just it. It needs to be rechargeable to do it properly. I won't need to take my keys apart again for years.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    I don't care I'll just cut it open and superglue it again when the battery dies. Planning on just getting a new key soon but until then this works.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris951 View Post
    I don't care I'll just cut it open and superglue it again when the battery dies. Planning on just getting a new key soon but until then this works.
    The problem is the car is still trying to recharge the battery. When you recharge a non-rechargeable battery, they tend to get very hot until they ultimately vent and leak their internals into your key.

If you are going to go to the trouble, replace the battery with the correct type.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonatrbo View Post
    The problem is the car is still trying to recharge the battery. When you recharge a non-rechargeable battery, they tend to get very hot until they ultimately vent and leak their internals into your key.

If you are going to go to the trouble, replace the battery with the correct type.
    Yeah, that's my concern. I don't want to cause any ancillary damage to either the key or, more importantly, the car itself by being cheap.

My Cars
    2001 325i

'01 E46 key fob battery replaement

Yeah, that's my concern. I don't want to cause any ancillary damage to either the key or, more importantly, the car itself by being cheap.
    It's "being cheap" to even replace the battery. Since it's technically a non replaceable battery and you have to superglue it back together. I bought my car with a dead fob and a broken door lock cylinder. So I had to get the fob working asap. And it's a temp fix until I decide to get a new key.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Key is about $160 from BMWSTORE.com I've heard you can do a little better than that.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    Key is about $160 from BMWSTORE.com I've heard you can do a little better than that.
    I don't know if you looked at my home city when you posted up that link, but that's where I ordered and bought my car over 14 years ago.

Chris951, there's a difference between being cheap and being frugal. Being frugal is finding the equivalent part at a reasonable price and repairing an item as close as correctly as possible. In this case, finding the correct rechargeable battery that won't cause ancillary damage and replacing it for $20 or less vs. paying an insane (Yes, I consider $150 - $160 for a key insane) amount for a new key and programming. Cheap is spending even less for a technically incompatible (non-rechargeable vs chargeable) part that will work temporarily but may cause damage down the road.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    I don't know if you looked at my home city when you posted up that link, but that's where I ordered and bought my car over 14 years ago.

No, that's just where I buy from. The parts manager was extremely helpful and gave me a much better price than my local stealerships.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    No, that's just where I buy from. The parts manager was extremely helpful and gave me a much better price than my local stealerships.
    lol, small world. I actually started using these guys http://www.justbmw.com/ as soon as my warranty expired. Their parts pricing is actually a bit better and the service is fantastic. Granted, it's an independent shop vs. a dealer, but all they do is BMW and Mini - and they do it very well. I assume they'd ship the parts but being local, I've never had to do that.

The only thing I miss is going to the BMW Store on a Saturday morning for my free car wash. Hmm, I may have to do that this weekend. It's been a few years.

Bump for me since my backup 03 325i key won't work. CR2025 battery. Won't lock or unlock. I did the reset procedure multiple times and won't work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Follow my Instagram to see what I'm wrenching on: @xlukaslw

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    I realize I never updated this. I did buy a "rechargeable" battery for the key fob but like many experienced, the tabs didn't line up properly and I couldn't properly solder it. I ended up ordering a new key through my BMW mechanic, http://www.justbmw.com/ and having them program it for me. I had to get a new key ASAP as my lock cylinder also bit the dust. I still need to repair that.

My Cars
    ‘04 325Ci, '73 2002tii
    I found this link in e46fanatics.com, I have no connection or history so can't testify as to quality. https://www.bmwgm5.com/kr.htm

My Cars
    2004 325i Sedan

OK, Mr. Helpful. Thanks for the comment......now please name a source for rechargeable E46 keyfob batteries!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bultaco View Post

OK, Mr. Helpful. Thanks for the comment......now please name a source for rechargeable E46 keyfob batteries!
    eBay. $3.00

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    You all know that even if the key battery has left earth, you can still access your BMW the old fashioned way!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    You all know that even if the key battery has left earth, you can still access your BMW the old fashioned way!
    Until the tumbler in the door look breaks. Then you need to crawl in through the trunk. Ask me how I know.