Thread: No reverse?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328i

No reverse?

So Im kinda new here and just want to first of all greet all you experts out there who provide the amazing feedback in these forums.
    Okay now the problem that im experiencing is the no reverse on my 2000 BMW 328i (5 Speed Automatic). It just suddenly happened when i shifted reverse, the car just stayed in neutral. Okay now here is what i know from reading the forums:

- Its a common issue with the early 1999 and 2000 3series models
    - Happens with both ZF and GM transmissions and apparently its more bound to happen with the ZF transmissions (323i) due to a weak reverse drum.
    - The repair for this can range from 2000-5000 depending on your transmission and the damage. It can either be replaced or rebuilt.

Anyways i also recently found out that my car has a transmission fluid leak.
    Is it possible that its just lacking fluid?

Will adding fluid to my transmission and fixing the leak fix my no reverse problem? although i also learned that a car with low transmission fluid has trouble shifting forward first not backwards. But could it be different with BMWs?

The car drives forward fine but i noticed the transmission is a lot weaker now.
    The car also constantly jerks in parking only while its warming up. It feels like it wants to turn it self-off.

I appreciate the help in advance. Thank you

-

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    If the car drives ok in forward gears the fluid level is probably ok. I'd start looking for a reputable shop that can either rebuild or swap out the tranny. This is why I've never owned a bimmer with a slush box!

My Cars
    2001 325i, 2008 328i
    sounds like u blew the reverse drum, if u know how to work on cars u could take it apart and replace there are some good write ups on it, if not then i would take it in to a shop and have them fix it. or get a used transmission.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by fixmycar View Post
    sounds like u blew the reverse drum, if u know how to work on cars u could take it apart and replace there are some good write ups on it, if not then i would take it in to a shop and have them fix it. or get a used transmission.
    yup. this seems to be the most common "no reverse" failure. Sorry about the bad news. But the part is not that expensive. The amount of time to remove it and put in then new one.......

Quote Originally Posted by jesusvalo View Post
    Will adding fluid to my transmission and fixing the leak fix my no reverse problem?
    Not if it is the reverse drum. Which seems to be very common.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusvalo View Post
    although i also learned that a car with low transmission fluid has trouble shifting forward first not backwards. But could it be different with BMWs?
    That doesn't makes sense to me. If a car is get's low on transmission fluid enough that it doesn't have enough pressure to close the clutch packs it doesn't matter which gear it's in. And no the brand of the car doesn't change the physics of hydraulicly shifted transmissions :-)

My Cars
    2000 528iT, 2000 528i
    I think your tranny should be a GM. Check the green tag near the fill plug. The no reverse on those tend to be a solenoid or valve body. I fixed mine myself by replacing the valvebody for $500.

My Cars
    Run it through drive to 4th gear then try reverse and it works again what should i do

My Cars
    323i 2000 , 525i 06
    Just got a 323i 00 wont go in in revers smh.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    That has a A5S325Z = ZF5HP19. https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3901/...db42728d_b.jpg
    Detailed info here on the 5HP19 and how to test the trans https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1051878
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!