Thread: 08 E83 X3..3.0si .. N52 engine.. Need to replace oil separator / crank case vent..

My Cars
    2001 325XI

08 E83 X3..3.0si .. N52 engine.. Need to replace oil separator / crank case vent..

All,

I searched all night to get some kind of answer or direction on what I actually have to order in terms of parts to replace my oil separator / crank case vent.
    Essentially I started hearing a whistling noise from the engine only randomly (after long drives) at idle .. and after some reading I noticed that the symptoms i was seeing was totally indicative of a failing oil separator (vacuum at the oil cap, rough idle, loss of power at acceleration, high pitch whistle coming from engine only some of the time).

So i set out on a quest to figure out the parts i need to get it fixed and was met with complete confusion.
    The M54 engine is not what i have.. and a lot of the DIY tutorials i've seen are for that engine specifically.

My X3 was build on 09/07.. it's deemed a model year '08. It has the 3.0si engine which equates to it having the N52. But i've heard that there's a couple of different version of the N52???? Some that have the separator as an external part.. and some where it's integrated directly into the valve cover.

Can anyone help me put this to rest? I also cant seem to find the parts i need on turner or ecs tuning or pelican for this job.. so that inclines me to believe it's the valve cover.

Anyone have experience with this?
    I want to order the parts and then ship the car off to the local mechanic to have the work done.. but I want to get the right stuff.. and dont want to pay the prices that the mechanic will charge me for the parts.. Plus i'd like to buy from my beloved FCP or Pelican if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. i've been searching this all night and my eyes are bleeding

thanks SOOOO Much in advance.. :-)
    Todd

My Cars
    Z3 2001 3.0, 2006 X3 3.0
    To find the parst, go to www.realoem.com, click ENTER, enter the last 7 digits of your VIN in the "SERIAL NUMBER" field, click on "BROWSE PARTS" ... the rest should be easy.
    Not sure where to find a DIY ... I have a M54 ...
    Z3 2001 3.0L 5-speeds,Topaz Blue/Sport+Premium package/Stong-Strut/Bilstein shocks/Rogue Engineering RSM/Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/CDV delete/Conforti CAI/Jim Conforti Shark/DRL module/European Wiper Module/Pioneer AVIC-N4 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+iPod/iPhone interface+Bluetooth+12CD Charger/ASA-AR1 18" wheels+Michelin PSS/Bi-Xenon upgrade. 3.73 diff.
    Latest mod : UCC short shifter ... love it.
    X3 2006 3.0L Automatic, Silver Gray, all original ... so far ...

My Cars
    2007 BMW X3
    I know this thread is old but since I stumbled upon I figured I should mention in case anyone else finds it looking for info that this model has it built into the valve cover so you will not find a separate part on Real OEM. That said, there is a how to out there for how to replace just the CCV with an aftermarket one without replacing the whole valve cover.