Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: JP's LH2.2 M10

My Cars
    old schiesse

JP's LH2.2 M10

Screw it... moved cars out of the way.

Took it to Chevron to get gas. So much more torque, and throttle response is amazing!

Now is time for break in mileage and fine tuning of modifications.

In case you wanted to see what the rotating part of the lot looks like... E36 M3 coupe, E36 M3 sedan, E46 M3 vert, E28 M5 Euro, E60 M5, E9, E39 touring, TISA, Baur Cabrio, E38, E32, and my lowly car...

Last edited by Imolarot2; 05-03-2015 at 09:11 PM.

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    81 BMW e21, 98 VW gti vr
    Love the car. Nice job on the engine. Your motivating me to do an LH jet swap. What would you guess the butt dyno says for horsepower?

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    love me some E28M5 euro!!

must be the white one all the way in the back.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    old schiesse
    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminfrankln View Post
    Love the car. Nice job on the engine. Your motivating me to do an LH jet swap. What would you guess the butt dyno says for horsepower?
    Thanks! At the moment (based on general speed/response time and power/weight vs my E46) I think I'm in the 130-140 range. I only have about 5 miles on it total so things still need to be tweaked before final numbers can be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    love me some E28M5 euro!!

must be the white one all the way in the back.
    Me too! I love E28s so much...

There are actually 2 Euro cars here, but only the white one was in the picture

Although I love the very original M88 car with the Zender spoiler it stands no chance against the M-Tech 3.8L

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    that is nice...

I had a 88 535is, loved that car.
    Last edited by Tom D; 05-04-2015 at 11:03 PM.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    1987 325es
    Wow! Awesome work...I love this build and I love your car. I really miss my e21. Major props to you.

My Cars
    old schiesse
    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminfrankln View Post
    Thanks for sharing the wiring. Most of the wiring I did to swap to L-jet was to plug the e30 harness into the e21 fuse box. So maybe 8 wires or so had to be connected. I am going to save the picture you posted. Over the summer I might do the swap. Im sure I will have a lot more questions for you then haha.

Your throttle cable is a lot cleaner than mine. I may have to clean mine up like yours. Is the throttle body swap beneficial to stock m10, or is it mostly utilized when its stroked and punched over like yours?

I just kept the e21 cable and made a bracket from the hardware store to mount it at the correct length, but the angle isn't the best.

And I like the air box. I used the stock 318i air box with the afm and its a bit too bulky in the engine bay.
    sorry, just noticed your response. No problem on the wiring info. The throttle body probably doesn't need to be changed if you're still a 1.8L. I got my cable made at a local motorcycle shop, you should try calling around your area and see if anybody there makes cables. It cost me a whopping $35. Yeah, I got a 318 airbox but I didn't like how it looks. I went this route as it looks more correct in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    that is nice...

I had a 88 535is, loved that car.
    Yes it is.

One day I plan on buying a 524td and doing a M57 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx02Fan View Post
    Wow! Awesome work...I love this build and I love your car. I really miss my e21. Major props to you.
    Thanks!

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    old schiesse
    I have 150 break in miles so far, initial thoughts...

This powerplant is way more powerful, I have so much more torque. Running a 3k redline I think I am as fast if not faster than my 1.8L was running all the way up to 6400. I have enough power to get up the hill on Scripps Poway Parkway in 5th when I used to have to drive in 4th and sometimes drop down to 3rd just to make it to the top if I couldn't keep the speed up due to traffic.

I think I might need a new ICV because it has a very slow response time. It will drop to about 400rpm before kicking in, and a few times now it has not been fast enough and the car stalls. Unfortunately the Bosch ones are no longer available and I have to order an OE one at appx $360. Will keep looking around to see if I can find a better one and not have to buy a brand new one.

Next step is finishing up airbox mounting and repainting the box

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    old schiesse
    Up to 200 miles... I drive a lot

New charcoal canister

old vs new

Random stuff

Still need to play with the airbox some more

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    JP the air box fit looks pretty good! You could cut the intake tube off a 1/2 from the box rotate it 180 degrees or so and tack weld it back on. then it would be in the opening for the head lights.

This is just confirmation for what I am sure you have already thought about!

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    old schiesse
    I was actually thinking of trimming it down and then using the tube from an E30. They had a flexible rubber hose that ran from the intake to the headlight cover

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    old schiesse
    So I put another 100 miles on it; it dieseled a few times. I think fuel is getting past the cold start injector. I guess I need to swap to the '85 fuel rail and make a block off plate to see if it solves the issue.

Edit: the other rail

Last edited by Imolarot2; 05-11-2015 at 03:06 PM.

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    old schiesse
    Got into (literally) a fender bender. I'm fine, car is fine. Already sourced parts and it will be fine.

Apparently my Euro bumper sliced his sidewall

Luckily this happened around the corner from the shop so I already dropped it off. Will inspect better tomorrow.

Last edited by Imolarot2; 05-12-2015 at 11:51 PM.

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    '83 323i, '82 320i, '06 mazda5
    sh!t. at least the bumper looks like it survived. new fender and opalgrun spray and should be good to go. looks like you got lucky.

My Cars
    old schiesse

JP's LH2.2 M10

Very much so. The left bumper horn looks like it got bent a little, but we can reshape it. I already have spare euro turn signals, my buddy has a spare grille for me, my other buddy is looking for a fender for me. I now just have to wait for the adjuster to come down and cut a check so we can get to work. Looks like the main work will be paint.

Last edited by Imolarot2; 05-12-2015 at 08:18 PM.

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    SUCKS! glad you're ok and car is easy to fix - you know people with parts right? LOL

Keep smiling JP.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    old schiesse
    Yeah, I'm not to worried. Already got a call from my buddy, he found me a fender at his shop. Will go pick it up tomorrow

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology."

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    old schiesse
    Friends are already coming to the rescue

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    old schiesse
    Of all the possibilities, what is the likelihood that the one and only E21 left front fender at my buddy's shop would happen to be from another 1982 Opalgrün 320i?

I also pulled my spare indicator out of storage.

The insurance sent me an offer, but they quoted me on US spec parts. I have to send them a correct list of part numbers since I had euro 4cyl front end. I am very impressed by the speed USAA works at.

One of my buddy's was at the shop getting some work done on his E30 when the adjuster showed up. He heard the guy say something to the extent of:

"I was hoping I could just total this car, but it's too nice"

I am now 100% satisfied that this car will be fixed without questions.

Edit: now that I have looked at it a few more times, it was originally opal as seen at the top. The rest of it has been painted silver at some point.
    Last edited by Imolarot2; 05-27-2015 at 12:24 AM.

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Wholey Smoley, after all your fine work. Glad you have hookups for those rare parts. Hoping everything goes 'more' than expected with the insurance!

Edit: the 'dieseling' could also be just that the ignition timing is too far advanced at idle speed. Make sure the centrifugal advance is not sticky and put a few drops of oil under the ignition rotor.
    Last edited by epmedia; 05-14-2015 at 04:24 AM.
    Tbd

My Cars
    old schiesse
    Well I looked up the parts, the difference is one $100 so it should be fine. I'll definitely check out the timing, thanks!

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    old schiesse
    My buddy pulled most of the dent out

Put my broken grill back in and reinstalled the U.S. turn signal for now

the dog did not approve so he made me fix it some more

and proceeded to help a lot

Reshaped

sanded (mostly)

primer

some Ford silver/green... close enough for now. You can only see a tiny bit of it anyways.

Put back together

Self etching primer blends surprisingly well with Opal

Decided to finally deal with my rear brakes/shocks

Goodbye drums

323 trailing arms and brakes, replacing the Bilstein's with Koni's

Will finish up in the morning

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    Looking good, I just finished repainting my trunk and rear quarter panel. I love your wheels, seeing your e21 makes me wish I stayed relatively stock with my suspension.

My Cars
    old schiesse
    Quote Originally Posted by m60b30530i View Post
    Looking good, I just finished repainting my trunk and rear quarter panel. I love your wheels, seeing your e21 makes me wish I stayed relatively stock with my suspension.
    Thanks! Yeah, I wanted to stay 'normal' with my suspension. Although I like how slammed cars can look, my back hurts too much for me to possibly drive them. I went with period lowering suspension instead. Perhaps one day I may install coilover sleeves in the front just so I can fix the rake because my springs are designed for a stock fully loaded engine bay, so the wheel gap is quite sizable at the moment.

Here is a comparison of my stock and ST springs so you can get an idea of what it would have looked like if I was actually stock

---

found the pivot pins

installed

brakes on

need to check out the bearings, they made a noise when I went around the block. This is what it looks like with Koni's all around

Edit: I also took off my diff tag and hammered a S into it. I guarantee there is a real tag around here somewhere, I just don't feel like looking for it right now.

Last edited by Imolarot2; 05-26-2015 at 08:51 PM.

^ real owner of my cars

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    JP looking GREAT!

Glad you got the brakes figured out, I was overwhelmed with things at the house and forgot to get back to you.... Sorry

I need to start working on the BBQ - time is fling and I am not.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast